Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Really? Something cute and happy for the season and this has to be brought up? In this litigious day and age, do you honestly believe they would place little Adam Levine or Mohammed Ali in a Christmas stocking without the parent's consent?
Christians just assume everyone is Christian. They are not. It's not cute to those of us who have these things pushed on us.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:50 PM

93 posts, read 146,715 times
i brought my son home 20 years ago in a stocking. he was born on christmas eve. this was in MA.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Really? Something cute and happy for the season and this has to be brought up? In this litigious day and age, do you honestly believe they would place little Adam Levine or Mohammed Ali in a Christmas stocking without the parent's consent?
Thank you for saying that. I was thinking the same, tried to be a bit diplomatic, since it's Christmas season. I find it odd that the PP even went to the trouble to look up the hospital's web site, to find out its religious affiliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Christians just assume everyone is Christian. They are not. It's not cute to those of us who have these things pushed on us.
No, Christians don't "just assume everyone is Christian". I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, as I said there's a fair-sized Jewish community there. I don't know how a non-Christian can know what Christians, all of them (us) think. It may come as some surprise to you, but we all knew from a young age that not everyone was a Christian. Most of us even had (gasp!) non-Christian friends.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you for saying that. I was thinking the same, tried to be a bit diplomatic, since it's Christmas season. I find it odd that the PP even went to the trouble to look up the hospital's web site, to find out its religious affiliation.

No, Christians don't "just assume everyone is Christian". I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, as I said there's a fair-sized Jewish community there. I don't know how a non-Christian can know what Christians, all of them (us) think. It may come as some surprise to you, but we all knew from a young age that not everyone was a Christian. Most of us even had (gasp!) non-Christian friends.
My husband was brought up Jewish, my grandchildren have a Hindu mother. I get tired of the assumption that because many people celebrate Christmas, it is ok with everyone else to send a baby home with a Santa stocking.

That you know there are non-Christians does not mean you don't simply assume. Now, I admit that I am currently in the south and see a lot more of this than I did in the north, but the first thing people ask here is what church do you go to and the assumption is that it is a Christian church and probably an evangelical one.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My husband was brought up Jewish, my grandchildren have a Hindu mother. I get tired of the assumption that because many people celebrate Christmas, it is ok with everyone else to send a baby home with a Santa stocking.

That you know there are non-Christians does not mean you don't simply assume. Now, I admit that I am currently in the south and see a lot more of this than I did in the north, but the first thing people ask here is what church do you go to and the assumption is that it is a Christian church and probably an evangelical one.
I know there are non-Christians but I simply assume everyone is? Sure. Whatever you say.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Very cute!

Old 12-28-2014, 02:22 AM

118 posts, read 157,377 times
I have been a nurse at our community hospital for the past 34 years and all of our newborns went home in red stockings until about 5 years ago. The Christmas trees, and wreaths have disappeared too.

We are so very "politically correct" that you can't tell if it is Christmas or the fourth of July on the unit this week... sad!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 AM

404 posts, read 385,737 times
Ok. This is sooooo cute. I love it!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 AM

404 posts, read 385,737 times
Default Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
I have been a nurse at our community hospital for the past 34 years and all of our newborns went home in red stockings until about 5 years ago. The Christmas trees, and wreaths have disappeared too.

We are so very "politically correct" that you can't tell if it is Christmas or the fourth of July on the unit this week... sad!

This made me laugh. We now say Happy Holidays at work. I'm like Omg. Really people. Our time on this planet is short. Relax. Celebrate ALL of it!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
A very good friend of mine born days before Christmas over 50 years ago has a picture of her being brought home from the hospital in a Christmas stocking!
Yes! The Christmas stocking for newborns is not a new idea; just a revised one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting