U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I know - when I was 14 I was in the 8th grade and the world probably ended 79 times a day. I probably died 1,000 times. Every boy was going to be my husband. Every girl was my bff or my arch enemy. Teachers were out to destroy me. 8th grade for me was more drama then a whole series of daytime soaps.
Is every 14-year-old girl exactly like you were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 AM

300 posts, read 900,847 times
I wouldnt allow that kind of privacy to my kids.
However (im talking about my own expiriences):
They forbid me that kind of privacy too. BUT: I still did what I wanted, I just had to find a different place to do it

You see: Kids do what they want.
But I still think its good to forbid, because it makes your kids smart

Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,653,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Probably most!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Quote:
No. Just the drama queens. Many, many girls are down to earth, sensible and have their heads on straight at that age. It's all about maturity.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Quote:
They are less repressed, which is not a bad thing in itself, but they need comprehensive sex education, as well as, hopefully, non-fanatical parents.
A lot of kids can just plain be trusted. Because they have a door closed does not mean sex.

Teens put more value on privacy than any other age group until mature adults. Closing a door, to them, is privacy. There's nothing bad about it.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
I want to clarify, I don't think kids are entitled to privacy until they own they are out of their parents' house and paying for it. I simply don't think teen sex is that big a deal if they are safe and responsible.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM

101 posts, read 483,941 times
Times are changing...I was 18 when my boyfriend was allowed to spend the night in my room and in my bed . My mom thought we werent having sex and oh boy was she wrong. We would wait until everyone was asleep and get it on all night Heck sometimes we wouldnt even wait we would just shove something against the door turn the music up and do it that way ...OR i'd say im taking a shower and we'd both go in and get it on ....In every room of the house . She was just absolutely clueless. Those 2 kids are definetly fooling around... She was SHOCKED when I told her I was pregnant. I was like what the hell are you so shocked for she seriously had no clue that I was a bonafied freak !!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

101 posts, read 483,941 times
If she's really so concerned just stand by the door and listen! DUH! If you hear some moaning or something going on than let the parents know...I would lie imo and say oh i heard so and so saying /doing this and that would end that lil arrangement

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,789,306 times
Quote:
Probably not but that's why I said when I was 14 not all 14 year old girls so I'm not really understanding the purpose of your question....

Last edited by nat_at772; 04-29-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,789,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
No. Just the drama queens. Many, many girls are down to earth, sensible and have their heads on straight at that age. It's all about maturity.
I take offense to your comment; I didn't consider myself a drama queen but when I was at that age my emotions ran rampant. When I was teaching (and I was actually teaching freshmen so they were older) I would have to bite the insides of my cheeks to keep from laughing at the things these kids stress about. I remember one girl being hysterical because another girl had told everyone else she hadn't started her cycle yet and she was already 15! Ahh the horror! Yes there are some that are extremely mature and there are some that aren't. My point is 14 is still young, the body is still developing (most times faster than your brain) peer pressure is really starting to kick in, etc.

I grew up with 3 brothers, I can just imagine 1 of them telling their other 14 and 15 year old friends they were in a bedroom with a girlfriend with the door closed on the 3rd floor while everyone else is on the first floor. Reputations all across the county would be ruined during intense games of Madden and bags of Doritos.

Last edited by nat_at772; 04-29-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or