Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:27 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The important thing is to watch them like hawks whether or not they know how to swim. Knowing how to swim in no way means you can't drown.
I am perfectly aware that knowing how to swim does not mean that you can't drown. We watch our children like hawks regardless of the situation but them knowing how to swim gives us a slight inkling of reassurance. Like a previous poster stated, knowing how to swim reduces your chances of drowning by almost 90%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The important thing is to watch them like hawks whether or not they know how to swim. Knowing how to swim in no way means you can't drown.
And all it takes is is your attention to be distracted by another child or somehing happening to yoyrself for the 'I watch them like a hawk so its not that important they know how to swim' to turn into tragedy. Wouldn't you like HUGE percentage increase in the odds that it won't?

I am really surprised that so many parents don't view this as something importanthat and non-negotiable.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Learning to swim is non-negotiable in our house since we spend a lot of time around water.

My parents didn't force me to swim when I was young, so I didn't learn until I was an adult. I definitely regret it, and I want my children to be good swimmers.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I am really surprised that so many parents don't view this as something important and non-negotiable.
I do think that it is extremely important that children learn to swim, but I do not think it must happen at age four, and waiting a year or two might make the process easier for all involved.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I do think that it is extremely important that children learn to swim, but I do not think it must happen at age four, and waiting a year or two might make the process easier for all involved.
And I think you are very wrong. Most 3 and 4 year olds do very well in lessons.....many kuds drown before age 6. ....if you think it's safe to wait. ..you aren't taking it seriously.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My 4 year old girl doesn't want to do swimming lessons.

Should we make her?

Will she ever want to?

What age should we make her do lessons even if she doesn't want to?

I think all people should know how to swim as part of basic survival. Not learning to safely handle herself in water is not an option. "I don't want to" is not a good excuse....but I understand that forcing kids to do things can be counterproductive, too.

Do you have a pool? Is she near pools a lot during the summer? If so, I think she should. There are things that are nonnegotiable when you are a parent. I think if she is near water a lot, then swimming lessons is one of them.

If she is not around water, then give her another year.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Who do you think drowns more often - a five year old or an eight year old?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Look, I'm not interested in starting an internet war about swimming lessons, only sharing my experience and thoughts about the matter, which is the point of the parenting forums, no? Or is the only acceptable response to echo the majority sentiment? In any case, the idea that I don't take water safety seriously is ludicrous, simply ludicrous, so back that truck up, please.

The OP's lifestyle is really at issue here. Is his child often around water? if yes, then the appropriate choice might be to force the lessons. However, it might also be perfectly okay to wait another year or two given absolutely scrupulous supervision or even complete avoidance of water activities. I'll leave it up to the OP to determine the best course of action.

A year or two of maturity can make a huge difference in how quickly and effectively a child learns. Preschoolers are all over the map in terms of their physical abilities and their emotional readiness for structured lessons. In our case, we waited. Our kids learned to swim between the ages of six and nine, and all became competitive swimmers. The one who learned latest is now a state qualifiying breaststroker.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-14-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 AM

452 posts, read 898,335 times
Could not agree more with randomparent. It also depends on the extent this parent wants the child to swim. To take swim lessons does not necessarily mean the child has to become a competitive swimmer it is the knowledge and water safety skills that the child needs to have.

Here is a story that still sends shudders down my back when people ask if kids should learn to swim: 6 Teens Drown While Wading in Louisiana's Red River - ABC News

Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My 4 year old girl doesn't want to do swimming lessons.

Should we make her?

Will she ever want to?

What age should we make her do lessons even if she doesn't want to?

I think all people should know how to swim as part of basic survival. Not learning to safely handle herself in water is not an option. "I don't want to" is not a good excuse....but I understand that forcing kids to do things can be counterproductive, too.
She's four. You're the parent. Make her take the lessons. Every human should know how to swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting