U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,949,107 times

Advertisements

If you do get them, look for professional nit removers.

Two examples:
Professional Lice Removal Services | Treat Infestation | Simply Nitty | Minneapolis, St. Paul MN
Minnesota Lice Lady

I'm sure someone like this exists near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 3,473,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I'm going to try it out anyway. Our niece came down with lice about 2 weeks ago and has been treated for it twice. The thing is, my SIL is still finding a few of the eggs in her hair and I'm wondering if our niece is still contagious?? She has long, thick hair and it's always down and I'm really paranoid about our kids catching it- we're all going out to a family dinner tonight and the kids always play with each other.

Our kids had viral pink eye a few years ago and it was HORRIBLE. I kept them both out of commission from everyone for 3 weeks and did close to 40 loads of laundry and went through a ton of Clorox. I am fully aware that kids are going to catch things regardless of how cautious a parent is but if I can prevent my kids from catching something then I'm going to do it because dealing with kids and things like lice and pink eye, etc. is about the most miserable thing ever.

I've never had lice and don't really know much about it except that it's pretty contagious and a pain to deal with . Shoot, I'm itchy just thinking about it! LOL! Is our niece still contagious at this point?
Icky! Okay, this could go a few ways. I remember that I caught lice when I was a child, and I was miserable. My mother refused to cut my hair short, and didn't check every family member, so they were almost impossible to get rid of! We finally had to get a special prescription shampoo to get rid of them, because they had built up a resistance to the shampoos we were using. It was a total nightmare. To this day I freak out if I find out I'm near a child with head lice. I work in the schools, though, so it is a common ailment for kids.

Anyway, I have a friend who has kids, and her daughter caught them about a year ago.

This is what she did:

Wash the kid's hair with lice shampoo
Drench the hair and scalp in baby oil
Take a metal fine-toothed comb (probably included in the lice kit) and comb and comb until you are not getting anything out. It can take hours upon hours.

I've also heard that lice hate extreme heat and cold, so putting the kids under the dryer or flat ironing or curling the hair would be a good idea. You could also dunk their heads in ice water, but I think the heat treatments would probably be more comfortable for them.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 PM

757 posts, read 670,840 times
Well, we went out and of course, our niece's long hair was down and swinging. I put both of our girl's hair up and out of the way and kept a close eye on them and as soon as we got home clothes were off and they were scrubbed up in the bath like no other! LOL! I'll be on the lookout for anything, hopefully we're in the clear!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,034,822 times
Quote:
Well, we went out and of course, our niece's long hair was down and swinging. I put both of our girl's hair up and out of the way and kept a close eye on them and as soon as we got home clothes were off and they were scrubbed up in the bath like no other! LOL! I'll be on the lookout for anything, hopefully we're in the clear!
You are better off not washing their hair so often. Lice like clean hair....so letting natural oils build up a bit is the easier way to prevent getting it... and they don't care about its length....cutting it short is only for a parents sake in watchung for nits....

Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,881,172 times
Putting long hair up in a bun always made me feel better when we had lice in our schools. It just seemed there was less chance of the little buggies catching a ride on my kiddo's head if there wasn't anything to grab onto hanging down.

Fortunately, we've never had to deal with lice...and I pray I never have to.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,891,797 times
If the child is only using the towel or pillow once a day then any lice left there should be dead by the next use.
Quote:
Whew, okay, I feel better now! No one else in my SIL's house got it and my other niece sleeps in the same room as her sister, too. My SIL treated it with a kit she got from the drugstore so I'm sure it's okay....hopefully...LOL.
Sorry, those kits don't work. Anyone who relies solely on a shampoo will not get rid of the lice. The only way to be sure s to take off and nuke them from orbit.

no, wait, wrong pest. For lice, combing and nitpicking is the only way to really get rid of them.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:54 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,531,172 times
I freaked out the first time I found lice in my kids' hair. Spent the entire night doing laundry, nitpicking (although I opted just to shave my son's head since it was summertime), throwing every article of clothing and toy in bags. Washing every surface with bleach, etc.

The fourth time they came home from school with lice? Just a sigh and trip to CVS to pick up RID after putting their sheets in the wash.

With them being in school with other kids all day, it's gonna happen. It's just a matter of when.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:27 AM

15,255 posts, read 16,588,713 times
I hate to say that I'm very experienced with head lice, but it's true. If you're still seeing nits in the hair, there's a pretty good possibility that they will hatch and start the infestation all over again. Although I've read lots of things that say the OTC like treatments are ineffective, we've found them to be quite effective when coupled with the ever-tedious comb-out. But you need to treat twice, about seven days apart, and you have to comb out the nits very thoroughly. On a long-haired kid I would expect the comb-out to take a minimum of 3 or 4 hours.

If you treat with an OTC product and still see live lice, you have to change tactics. I've done the mayonnaise thing, which basically coats the live lice and keeps them from scurrying away when you're combing them out. It doesn't kill them, but just makes them slow so you can get them. But it has no effect on the nits.

We also had an odd occurrence where I found old dried looking nits in my daughter's hair, but no live lice at all. I still did a multi-night comb-out for the nits. We think she might have killed the live lice with Denorex shampoo she was using for dandruff, but still aren't sure what happened.

Older kids are getting head lice these days and some people think it's because they put their heads together for selfies and they're always hugging. I never thought it would be an issue when my daughter was 15, but it was.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,062,256 times
My kids got lice last year. We struggled with the OTC treatment and thought we did a pretty good job of getting rid of them all. We were totally wrong. We ended up hiring a professional "lice lady" who came to our house and took care of it. She did my hair too and even I had them. yick. She came with a guarantee, and it worked. It was expensive, but worth it.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM

11,027 posts, read 8,117,184 times
Freezing stuff (pillow, etc) will kill all your little critters! (dust mites, etc)

I wouldn't make any more of a big deal of this than it probably already is. It's sort of a fact of life, easily dealt with. Hopefully it's all over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting