Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
In Michigan it is illegal....around graduation time, when I worked at the court, we would get the host party tickets....parents who let the kids drink and then all hell broke loose under the tent outside and the cops were called...checking IDs..but usually if the party was not bothering the neighbors, they drove on past..
It's illegal for parents to give alcohol to kids not their own...so that would be illegal in most states that allow parents to give their own kids a beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I guess I'm struggling with there being a "right time" at all. You don't have to give them a drink, and certainly not a joint.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM

483 posts, read 655,313 times
My dad smoked like a train and drank way more then he shoud have when I was growing up(26 now)

I've never smoked, anything, and will not because of the health problems ad money and spent. Both my parents were very clear that me and my brother were to never smoke.

I was taught that drinking was legal after 21, so I waited, until I was 21. I knew how to stand up for myself and just found other ways to enjoy my time at college parties, I also drove my friends, made me feel better knowing they got home safe and I always got gas and food outta the deal
My brother on the other hand, starting drinking when he got to college(not heavy, just like a cocktail at parties) and my mother seemed okay with it, she brought us both drinks when we are at Mardi Gras(My brother goes to school in New Orleans).

So my mom waited until we showed we were responsibly ready, I'm sure she wishes my brother had waited, but he's responsible about it.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Grew up in New York here.

It seemed pretty common for my friends and I to have a glass of wine, at least with special dinners (Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, Weddings, etc) at about 13 or 14.

By 16 or 17, secret beer parties were common. There was a bodega in my neighborhood that would sell 40-ounce bottles of malt liquor to anyone. We would skip school and hang out on a bridge in some small woods and enjoy our libations.

By the time I started university, I was over just getting drunk (for the most part) and started appreciating the burgeoning craft brew scene and reading Wine Spectator so I could impress girls with my worldly sophistication. ;-)

By contrast, I have some neighbors now who are 18-20 and I think they are living away from home and drinking for the first time. That means loud beer pong sessions, empty cans of the worst beer scattered on the sidewalk, and puke in my driveway.

Why couldn't they just get that phase over with in the woods in high school?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Grew up in New York here.

It seemed pretty common for my friends and I to have a glass of wine, at least with special dinners (Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, Weddings, etc) at about 13 or 14.

By 16 or 17, secret beer parties were common. There was a bodega in my neighborhood that would sell 40-ounce bottles of malt liquor to anyone. We would skip school and hang out on a bridge in some small woods and enjoy our libations.

By the time I started university, I was over just getting drunk (for the most part) and started appreciating the burgeoning craft brew scene and reading Wine Spectator so I could impress girls with my worldly sophistication. ;-)

By contrast, I have some neighbors now who are 18-20 and I think they are living away from home and drinking for the first time. That means loud beer pong sessions, empty cans of the worst beer scattered on the sidewalk, and puke in my driveway.

Why couldn't they just get that phase over with in the woods in high school
?
Aside from your neighbor issues, how would that have been any better?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:59 AM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
Depends when I was around 13 my parents would give me a little wine. By 16 I would have something to drink with the family. Also with friends at parties. As for my son, I don't know if I will; however, Im sure someone in my family will. Many of them were not born here and since the drinking age over there is 15/16 (around the same time they finish high school) they see no problem with it.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
YOU shouldn't be giving them any of it,if they discover it fine. But you don't want the guilt should they ever get addicted.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:18 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Legal in 45...illegal in 5....which is the "many"?
I think many are misinterpreting that link that was posted. If you only read this part,"45 states have set their own exceptions to allow underage consumption of alcohol under certain circumstances. Five states (Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, New Hampshire, and West Virginia) have no exceptions in their underage alcohol consumption laws." Then yes it looks like just 5.

The only exception that matters in the original question posted was about you as a parent giving alcohol to your minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
Underage consumption of alcohol is allowed...
1. on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent in 29 states
Examples: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consent

States:
Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Allowed in 29. Not allowed in the rest. I'd say that's "many."

Old 01-19-2015, 01:22 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
In PA I've learned legality has little to do with it...they'll find a way around it

Old 01-19-2015, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This exactly. The more taboo and forbidden it is, the greater the chances of overindulgence and binge drinking with friends as a form of rebellion.
Actually, there's little evidence to support that, and much evidence to support that the parents' attitudes towards drinking do make an impression on kids. I'm fine with making it hard for kids to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting