Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Weed has been linked to neurological changes Even Casual Marijuana Smokers at Risk for Structural Brain Changes

i've never seen a similar warning for alcohol
Somehow, that reminds me of this..

Anything in excess is not good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Booze - 1 glass a week. . .no more than that . . 12-13. Only "in home" and never ever can any friends have any. . .thats how you get arrested.
weed - No way. It has been proven to have neuological impacts and changes in growing brains. 24 should be the minimum age
coffee - my 2 year old loves iced coffee
I agree with this- it takes the mystery out

and most teens don't like the taste of alcohol

I could have champagne at a very young age with meals if I wanted it,,,,

I also agree on the weed,,,, it is still SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!! and an illegal substance

we've shamed tobacco smokers as lepers but - push and promote weed??? and yeah, ive heard all the propaganda for weed

ive sent teenagers and young adults home for coming into work - high , eyes red ,, cant think straight , reaking of pot,,,and they work with the public.....

we need less of this,,,not more

Old 01-29-2015, 11:26 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I also agree on the weed,,,, it is still SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!! and an illegal substance

we've shamed tobacco smokers as lepers but - push and promote weed??? and yeah, ive heard all the propaganda for weed

ive sent teenagers and young adults home for coming into work - high , eyes red ,, cant think straight , reaking of pot,,,and they work with the public.....

But I'm sure just as many people have came to work drunk or hung over. I don't really see why weed in moderation is any worse than alcohol. Heck, even cigarettes or cigars are probably no worse.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

^^^^ THIS. Weed is fine, at home and if you're not going anywhere afterward. You get behind the wheel of a car even though you are back to feeling normal and then the weed high hits you again and you don't even know where you are. If you smoke weed, do it at night and don't leave the house afterwards.

As for alcohol, I don't have kids but my parents had alcohol around the house. It was not considered special though so we kids didn't care one way or the other. When I was a teenager I think my dad offered me a small glass of wine at Christmas with the grown ups and I remember him offering me a little drink from his beer as he watched a ball game on tv. It just wasn't a mystery or a big deal so I grew up not caring one way or the other. I still can take it or leave it, not that interested.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I never GAVE my kids alcohol until they were 21 and bought them one on their BD. My eldest was drinking long before that but my youngest did actually wait until he was 21, except to the occasion "let me taste that...bleahhhhh!!!".

Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I think i had sips of wine and beer when i was 13/14 or so. I thought it was gross. Had a few sips, kinda hated it and that really took all the taboo out of it for me.

When peers were trying to buy it at age 17/18 i was thinking to myself "Ok you go drink that gross stuff, and i'll have a coke"

Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Eek, I know this is an American forum so I might get stick but from our Quebec culture, 13-14 at family celebrations is pretty typical for a bit of wine or a beer. Party drinking isn't done with parents, they do that on their own at 18.
Yeah, I'd go with this.

I think that having experience of the sensations and how to pace yourself before you go out with friends is very important.

ChrisfromChicago, alcohol puts you at incredibly hugh risk of sexual assault and high risk of a car accident. There are also risks from passing out and choking on vomit. It is very important to teach kids how to drink responsibly and protect themselves and their friends.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Ummm.... when they turn 21?

What they do in high school/college before they turn 21 without me knowing is out of my control... they just better not get caught by me or the authorities...

Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Ummm.... when they turn 21?

What they do in high school/college before they turn 21 without me knowing is out of my control... they just better not get caught by me or the authorities...
Why when they turn 21? What's so magical about having been on the earth for exactly 21 years that magically transforms a human being from being utterly incapable of handling alcohol to being able to buy every item on the shelf of a liquor store?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
My approach has always been more along the lines of the European way....
If they wanted a glass of wine w/ dinner as teens they could have it.
Holidays as well- they could have a drink, maybe even 2.

Smoking anything-- no way in Hell.

Coffee-- none of them ever liked until recently, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting