Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:05 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times

Advertisements

Yes it is abuse.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Typically one swat with a belt is nowhere near abuse unless it's in the face.

Here's why:

Growing up we were taught the difference in right and wrong. If you do something wrong, you may get the belt. Instead of being whipped repeatedly with a belt (I think I had two in my lifetime), we made sure to understand the consequences of our actions before we did something wrong and usually decided against it. You could ground us all you want and we really didn't pay much attention to it. We didn't have much to take away and played outside most of the time so taking away a toy or something of that nature really didn't bother us either.

Every kid responds differently to punishments and every wrong-doing should have a punishment that is based on the level of the wrong committed. We got the belt if we blatantly disrespected an adult, or if we hit someone. Don't do a chore? Then you don't get to go play with the other kids. Repeatedly avoid these chores after receiving warnings and the belt came out. It was circumstantial.

The belt taught us that everything has a consequence. While it was rare that any of us ever needed it, if we ever got it you could guarantee we would not repeat the same mistake twice.

My kids are raised the same way. I've got the belt to them maybe once and it was one swat on the butt. It didn't take more to get the point across. They are respectful and responsible, so in turn we return that respect and reward them for doing good.

I often wonder why so many kids nowadays act the way they do. Threads like this remind me.
Oh, this was the PERFECT post! Nailed it on the head. I got hit with a belt too, always on the rear and never hard enough to cause an injury. Mostly I got whipped with a hand. I knew then and know now that my mother loved me more than life itself and I love her too.

My dad's parent's were worse. They made them pick their own switch and they wore them out. I guess all parents were abusers based on modern American views... Americans just keep dumbing further and further down as they buy into every form of liberalism there is. The nonstop march of psychobabble continues unabated. Most Americans believe their little angels do no wrong. Based on what I see on a daily basis, they are ignorant little pampered brats.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
It is interesting to note that the socioeconomic and cultural groups that spank the most lag behind in nearly every measurable outcome, such as high school graduation rates, ACT scores, teen pregnancy, and violent crime.

I am not saying it is spanking that causes the unfavorable outcomes, but it does run contrary to the claim that spanked children turn out better and are better behaved.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM

646 posts, read 465,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
It is interesting to note that the socioeconomic and cultural groups that spank the most lag behind in nearly every measurable outcome, such as high school graduation rates, ACT scores, teen pregnancy, and violent crime.

I am not saying it is spanking that causes the unfavorable outcomes, but it does run contrary to the claim that spanked children turn out better and are better behaved.
Ehm... I know many PhDs/M.A. who spank(ed) their kids. Very successful people. I actually think those people are maybe less likely to admit that they use spanking than that they actually use it less.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Of course it's abuse, and if you have to ask, you have no business using it. You aren't acting in an informed manner, there is tons of evidence that striking a child, in any manner, can be harmful.

I really wish C-D would declare a moratorium on corporal punishment threads. There are plenty of opinions if anybody wants to do a search. Meanwhile, nobody ever changes anybody else's mind on the subject.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:

It's absolutely false that spanked kids turn out better and I get so tired of hearing that. I grew up in the deep South where you got spanked at school for next to nothing ~ and those kids were just as bratty as any others.

Pfft. If a parent needs a belt to get their point across - they aren't very effective parents.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:31 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
this topic has been done over and over.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:21 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
It was perfectly normal when I was a kid. I knew the belt well.

Btw, my father is a good person and would do anything for my siblings and I. It was just more common back then. I was even paddled(the kind with holes drilled) in middle school on a fairly regular basis.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
I was never spanked and I turned out fine.

I don't think there is a correlation, one way or another. Therefore, there is no need to use corporal punishment.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:

^ ^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Of course it's abuse, and if you have to ask, you have no business using it. You aren't acting in an informed manner, there is tons of evidence that striking a child, in any manner, can be harmful.

I really wish C-D would declare a moratorium on corporal punishment threads. There are plenty of opinions if anybody wants to do a search. Meanwhile, nobody ever changes anybody else's mind on the subject.
And ^ ^ this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting