Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,471 times

Advertisements

I'm a mother of three and my oldest is 15. She's a smart girl, but her stupid decisions do nothing but cost me money.

It started with some boy she met in school. I don't even know him. But I can't trust people like him. Now I found out that he got her pregnant.

This is bad news to me because I'm still paying for her $3K hospital bill we got because she was apparently throwing up, and turning out she had no sickness. (She called 911 over it.) I have a house to provide for two other children and mouths to feed. I'm struggling enough getting bills paid and groceries done, I don't have time or money anymore to put up with her stupid decisions so I have to choose between her and her baby and the house I'm close to losing. I chose the house I have to provide for the rest of the family.

So I told her to pack her things and leave, and not come back until she gets a job where she will be the one to deal with the problem she brought on herself. If she makes an adult decision to sleep around with boys, and getting pregnant, she'll accept the consequences. There is no excuse for a 15 year old to not have the sense to put on a condom when her school teaches sex education every year. She's costing me more money than I can afford. She's not a baby who needs to be coddled by a parent. She needs to learn that choices have consequences.

I want to relinquish all responsibility for her. I no longer wish to be obligated to support her and I don't want to go to jail. I just cannot afford to take care of her, her baby and have two young kids and a roof over everyone's head. Now she's going to learn the hard way how to take care of a kid.

How can I legally remove her from my house? How can I revoke any responsibility for her with her denting my wallet?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Please stop and take a deep breath. You are setting your daughter and future grand child up for failure. Besides that, she us a minor; she's your responsibility.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Please stop and take a deep breath. You are setting your daughter and future grand child up for failure. Besides that, she us a minor; she's your responsibility.
My daughter did this to herself. She needs to learn from the dumb decisions she makes and how expensive and difficult having a child is. I no longer want to be responsible for her because if I have to spend another dollar on her, we'll all be on the streets. It's either her or us.

Last edited by Kendra.louis; 01-22-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 03:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
I'm pretty sure you can't kick her out, she's a minor. You are more than likely legally responsible for her until she's at least 18 (could be older depending on the state you live in). Maybe there is a church or other agency that would be willing to help? Are you getting all the government benefits you're entitled to? If not, I'd sign up for those ASAP.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra.louis View Post
I'm a mother of three and my oldest is 15. She's a smart girl, but her stupid decisions do nothing but cost me money.

It started with some boy she met in school. I don't even know him. But I can't trust people like him. Now I found out that he got her pregnant.

This is bad news to me because I'm still paying for her $3K hospital bill we got because she was apparently throwing up, and turning out she had no sickness. (She called 911 over it.) I have a house to provide for two other children and mouths to feed. I'm struggling enough getting bills paid and groceries done, I don't have time or money anymore to put up with her stupid decisions so I have to choose between her and her baby and the house I'm close to losing. I chose the house I have to provide for the rest of the family.

So I told her to pack her things and leave, and not come back until she gets a job where she will be the one to deal with the problem she brought on herself. If she makes an adult decision to sleep around with boys, and getting pregnant, she'll accept the consequences. There is no excuse for a 15 year old to not have the sense to put on a condom when her school teaches sex education every year. She's costing me more money than I can afford. She's not a baby who needs to be coddled by a parent. She needs to learn that choices have consequences.

I want to relinquish all responsibility for her. I no longer wish to be obligated to support her and I don't want to go to jail. I just cannot afford to take care of her, her baby and have two young kids and a roof over everyone's head. Now she's going to learn the hard way how to take care of a kid.

How can I legally remove her from my house? How can I revoke any responsibility for her with her denting my wallet?
You are punishing the baby not your daughter.
Did you even have the sex talk with her?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:53 PM

393 posts, read 345,346 times
In the United States, I don't think you're legally allowed to do so before she turns 18. I hate to simply echo what another user has already said, but look into benefits and/or financial aid. Especially with the hospital bills, you may find some help there. Hopefully another user can chime in here.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
We don't even know what state you live in, so realistically speaking we couldn't even help as each state have different laws about what you can do. Generally speaking, I have a hard time believing that there's going to be any that will let you skate off.

And honestly, you don't really sound like you've been responsible enough. She had sex education at school every year? Really? I don't really buy that, but regardless that's something you should've sat down and laid out your expectations. What about when she told you she was pregnant, did you sit down and talk about options? Your daughter is still a kid and doesn't know what to do, you can't expect her to make adult decisions all of sudden. She can't even get a job!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,854 times
Sign her up for welfare, WIC and food stamps. Hell, everyone else is doing it, you might as well make your tax dollars work for you for a change.

As far as kicking her out, I don't think you can legally do that. No employer is going to hire a pregnant 15 year-old, so throwing her out on the street will only get you into hot water, not her.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM

903 posts, read 582,790 times
I believe there are ways to relinquish a child to the state, but it by no means absolves you of financial responsibility. I know people who did it for various reasons, but they basically had to pay child support to the state.

She certainly needs to be held responsible to the extent that she can, but you will also soon be a grandparent. What kind of relationship do you want with your grandchild?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:00 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I feel great sympathy for the daughter. My own mother threw me out when I was 15. It ended up being a blessing in disguise, because my mom was mentally ill and by my being on my own, I only had myself to care for and not my mother, my younger sister, and me. But it was very hard. Teenagers are rarely ready to handle life on their own. I know this from personal experience. However, OP's daughter might be better off living away from home, as I was. I wish we could hear her side of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting