Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times

Advertisements

So my fear came true. another family with two kids got sick - the dad stopped by with the older one saying the younger was sick and the older started feeling sick too on the way there so they said happy birthday, dropped off the gift and left. Another family was unable to make it for other reasons, which left us with seven kids total. They had a blast though and DS was super excited so I tried not to care, it was more my own issue stemming from my childhood insecurities - I had big problems with being excluded and a loner as a kid so I always have this fear of being seen as a loser with no friends by others, especially when trying to meet new people, I'm always afraid of coming off as pathetic or trying too hard or people feeling sorry for me. It was kinda quiet there while the kids were inside with only us and the four other moms hanging around and only two knew each other so I felt a bit awkward trying to make conversation.
Luckily DS didn't seem to inherit my social awkwardness, he's pretty comfortable socially and it was awesome to see him so excited to see his friends there, especially two boys from preschool whom he hasn't seen outside school before.

Paying $275 plus food for only 7 kids was kinda a bummer and we had tons of food left over, but what can you do. The coaches kept the kids busy for an hour and did a great job. I couldn't have even overinvited to allow for some cancellations because the limit for the party was 12 kids, which was exactly how many we'd have if everyone came (and with my luck everyone would've shown up if I took the risk and overinvited, haha). Oh well, DS had a good time so that's what counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
My eldest also has a January birthday and is certainly very frustrating. Not only the sick season (though that hasn't really been a huge problem for us), but also the football games (especially playoffs) and the general people fatigue (from all the holidays).

I know summer parties (personal experience) suck too. It's really those Spring/Autumn babies that have it so easy!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
So my fear came true. another family with two kids got sick - the dad stopped by with the older one saying the younger was sick and the older started feeling sick too on the way there so they said happy birthday, dropped off the gift and left. Another family was unable to make it for other reasons, which left us with seven kids total. They had a blast though and DS was super excited so I tried not to care, it was more my own issue stemming from my childhood insecurities - I had big problems with being excluded and a loner as a kid so I always have this fear of being seen as a loser with no friends by others, especially when trying to meet new people, I'm always afraid of coming off as pathetic or trying too hard or people feeling sorry for me. It was kinda quiet there while the kids were inside with only us and the four other moms hanging around and only two knew each other so I felt a bit awkward trying to make conversation.
Luckily DS didn't seem to inherit my social awkwardness, he's pretty comfortable socially and it was awesome to see him so excited to see his friends there, especially two boys from preschool whom he hasn't seen outside school before.

Paying $275 plus food for only 7 kids was kinda a bummer and we had tons of food left over, but what can you do. The coaches kept the kids busy for an hour and did a great job. I couldn't have even overinvited to allow for some cancellations because the limit for the party was 12 kids, which was exactly how many we'd have if everyone came (and with my luck everyone would've shown up if I took the risk and overinvited, haha). Oh well, DS had a good time so that's what counts.
I'm sorry that happened. In retrospect, maybe you should have over-invited, just in case. Maybe, their 12 child maximum was more of a guideline than a true maximum. Even if you would have needed to pay extra, it may have worked out a little better.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

I totally get this. I was a shy child and there was a general feeling that birthday parties were popularity contests. And my mom was pretty into that as well. I worked really hard to not pass that tradition on and not get upset about it. BUt I get the personal insecurity and not wanting your son to feel bad. I think 7 kids for a little kid is fine for a party. I bet it was a blast for him

Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM

99,566 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have 2 spring birthdays and one summer. I have always found the summer one to be the hard one as far as getting friends together. By the time the end of July rolls around, many families are out of town or already have plans going on. I have always had a tough time rounding up friends for my daughter's parties...we have quit trying to do friend parties and just make plans with the family that I know she'll enjoy.
So true. People always seem to make a bigger deal out of winter birthdays and it's easy to get people together. In the summer, calendars are full with other activities and birthdays get lost in the shuffle.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:06 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
We just dealt with this ourselves for our daughter's first birthday in mid November. I was against even having a birthday party at that age, (it isn't like she's going to remember any of it) but my wife insisted. Invited about 14 kids and their parents, we booked a dining room at the local country club since it had to be inside since it was so cold out, my wife spent hours doing decorations, party favors, treats, etc.

Out of 14, only 3 showed up. About 6 kids had gotten sick, and the others never RSVP'd. Spent a ton of money because we were serving brunch for the adults, and it was $15 per person, in addition to the cost of the room.

I hope my wife will listen to me next year. At any rate, there's no way I'm going to pay that much money for so few to attend.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:34 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Try having a birthday in the latter part of December..

And quit being so focused on a party or the number of kids there are at the party.. It is his Birthday no matter what.. Every year doesn't have to be a party.. Heck take a weekend and do something the child likes to do... Or go someplace the child likes...

Old 01-25-2015, 05:22 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
My birthday is in December but I don't recall ever being sick, even as a kid. Although I am slightly sick.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
btdt, Feb 3rd.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:37 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
My son's birthday is around MLK and so that means a 4 day weekend in our area. Between people out of town or the football playoffs it's hard to schedule. We've never had the sickness issue. This year I chose to do his party the day after his b-day and he chose 3 friends and we had pizza and dessert at home then went to the sports connection and paid ala carte. All the kids had fun and it was a cheaper solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting