Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:54 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times

Advertisements

Ugh, just wanted to whine. My DS has a January birthday and I hate it, every year we have to deal with it falling right in the middle of the flu epidemics and sick season and it's a pain. We usually do a family celebration at home for his actual birthday and then for the last two years, a kid party at a venue a couple weeks later. His very first kid party, when he turned three, he got really sick with something like croup that week and we had to reschedule - the place was booked for the whole next month so the earliest date they could do it was the first week of March, and we already paid the deposit so we couldn't do a different place. I explained the situation to our guests and everyone understood but still felt kind of idiotic having a January birthday party in March. Then over a week before THAT party he came down with roseola! High fever for three days, then rash by which point doctor said he's no longer contagious but it still looked horrible for a couple of days to where I wouldn't want to bring him out; luckily it just pretty much cleared up right in time for the party. I was FREAKING I'd end up having to cancel again.

Fast forward next year, and I came down with the stomach flu the week before his actual birthday and managed to infect him just in time for it even though I isolated myself. I was thinking he was out of the woods after a few days so I still planned for our family gathering, even made this fantastic train cake for him from scratch the day before. Nope, that evening he started puking all over the place, which then compounded with a respiratory virus too somehow. He spent his birthday and the next several days feverish and lying miserably on the couch, didn't care about the presents or the cake, couldn't eat anything. It was miserable, so sad to see him like that. We did end up 'redoing' it later when he was better. And we had the kid party planned the following weekend so I was just crossing my fingers that' he'd get better in time so I wouldn't need to reschedule AGAIN, as it was mostly the same group of guests and I felt like doing it two years in a row would just be stupid. Luckily he was fine by the party, but again just barely.

Needless to say, this year for his fifth birthday this weekend I kept freaking out that either him or a bunch of the guests would be sick again. We're having a smaller party this year because we just recently moved to the area and haven't met that many people yet; original list was 11 kids invited but only 7 families (a few close-age siblings and twins) for a party at his gymnastics place. Well two days ago one family of three cancelled since all of them are really sick; they're the ones we're closest to out of all the invitees and they live a bit far so we were really looking forward to seeing them there and DS was excited about seeing his friends. So that's sad and now we're down to only 8 kids, and I've literally been panicking and freaking out that we'll get more last-minute cancellations and no-shows. We have the whole place with instructors, and food ordered and decor and goodie bags, and I feel like it'd be really sad and a waste if only a few kids show up. I'm almost regretting doing the party at all this year, should've skipped and saved the money. Winter sucks

Have you had to deal with sickness and birthdays/occasions? How do you handle it and not go crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Id be careful not to focus on the # of kids...your son will pick up on that. You have spent the money, who makes it, makes it. He will have fun with 2 kids or 12, ya know?

We have two kids with poorly placed birthday dates, but not for sickness...maybe they are past the ages they get sick a lot. But I always offer a family weekend trip or a party. We spend more on the trip but they usually choose that. If not, I try not to over spend on the party, but I over invite. I also schedule it for a more convenient date, usually weeks ahead.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Ugh, just wanted to whine. My DS has a January birthday and I hate it, every year we have to deal with it falling right in the middle of the flu epidemics and sick season and it's a pain. We usually do a family celebration at home for his actual birthday and then for the last two years, a kid party at a venue a couple weeks later. His very first kid party, when he turned three, he got really sick with something like croup that week and we had to reschedule - the place was booked for the whole next month so the earliest date they could do it was the first week of March, and we already paid the deposit so we couldn't do a different place. I explained the situation to our guests and everyone understood but still felt kind of idiotic having a January birthday party in March. Then over a week before THAT party he came down with roseola! High fever for three days, then rash by which point doctor said he's no longer contagious but it still looked horrible for a couple of days to where I wouldn't want to bring him out; luckily it just pretty much cleared up right in time for the party. I was FREAKING I'd end up having to cancel again.

Fast forward next year, and I came down with the stomach flu the week before his actual birthday and managed to infect him just in time for it even though I isolated myself. I was thinking he was out of the woods after a few days so I still planned for our family gathering, even made this fantastic train cake for him from scratch the day before. Nope, that evening he started puking all over the place, which then compounded with a respiratory virus too somehow. He spent his birthday and the next several days feverish and lying miserably on the couch, didn't care about the presents or the cake, couldn't eat anything. It was miserable, so sad to see him like that. We did end up 'redoing' it later when he was better. And we had the kid party planned the following weekend so I was just crossing my fingers that' he'd get better in time so I wouldn't need to reschedule AGAIN, as it was mostly the same group of guests and I felt like doing it two years in a row would just be stupid. Luckily he was fine by the party, but again just barely.

Needless to say, this year for his fifth birthday this weekend I kept freaking out that either him or a bunch of the guests would be sick again. We're having a smaller party this year because we just recently moved to the area and haven't met that many people yet; original list was 11 kids invited but only 7 families (a few close-age siblings and twins) for a party at his gymnastics place. Well two days ago one family of three cancelled since all of them are really sick; they're the ones we're closest to out of all the invitees and they live a bit far so we were really looking forward to seeing them there and DS was excited about seeing his friends. So that's sad and now we're down to only 8 kids, and I've literally been panicking and freaking out that we'll get more last-minute cancellations and no-shows. We have the whole place with instructors, and food ordered and decor and goodie bags, and I feel like it'd be really sad and a waste if only a few kids show up. I'm almost regretting doing the party at all this year, should've skipped and saved the money. Winter sucks

Have you had to deal with sickness and birthdays/occasions? How do you handle it and not go crazy?
Wow it's hard to believe he is five years old already, it seems like just yesterday you were struggling with the terrible twos. Hope the birthday boy is happy and healthy.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
We have the same problem. We had to cancel my son's party last year because he got sick. We have a friend who also has a winter bday and she had to cancel hers too. It is what it is. You're not the only one, and I think everyone understands. They'd rather we cancel than get them and their kids sick, too.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:22 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,525 times
If you are really stressing that bad about the birthday in January, then don't celebrate it. Do a small, immediate family only special dinner/cake for the birthday, and then do a big Half Birthday party in mid-summer. Lots more activity options, as you can do a pool/lake/beach party, something at a park or a zoo, etc.... Kids love to have a reason to see classmates in the summer, and there's much fewer flu/germ/illness issues then.

My oldest is also a January birthday, and for several years his birthday fell very close to, if not on, Superbowl Sunday. Having to plan his birthday around my family's football viewing plans frustrated me to no end, so I resorted to this Half Birthday thing more than once.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:09 PM

450 posts, read 507,675 times
Eldest was born in February, youngest born in November (and me - although I don't want a party) January. UGH!

I feel your pain! We skipped a b-day party for the young one this year and just had a family night out for dinner. Next year she will be 11, and I think if we are to throw another party we will delay it until the spring. More options available and less sickness involved. My kid is old emough now to understand! Announce the party in such a way that the kid feels even more because they FINALLY get to have an out-door party!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:10 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Winter birthdays do suck. Mine has hers a week from now, we're not having a party, we'll just have cake at home and do something as a family like ice skating or sledging and when the flu season is over we'll take her to the big indoor playground in the next city (definitely not taking her at this time of year as she's bound to get sick)

Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
I have 2 spring birthdays and one summer. I have always found the summer one to be the hard one as far as getting friends together. By the time the end of July rolls around, many families are out of town or already have plans going on. I have always had a tough time rounding up friends for my daughter's parties...we have quit trying to do friend parties and just make plans with the family that I know she'll enjoy.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have 2 spring birthdays and one summer. I have always found the summer one to be the hard one as far as getting friends together. By the time the end of July rolls around, many families are out of town or already have plans going on. I have always had a tough time rounding up friends for my daughter's parties...we have quit trying to do friend parties and just make plans with the family that I know she'll enjoy.
Yeah we have the same issue with the summer bday. He either has a special day out with one or two close friends or we do a family vacation weekend in his honer.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yeah we have the same issue with the summer bday. He either has a special day out with one or two close friends or we do a family vacation weekend in his honer.
My daughter has a mid summer birthday and it was almost impossible to have parties with her friends.

Our first (and last) "big" party was a huge disaster. We thought it was good idea to invite her whole junior kindergarten class to a potluck picnic at a city park with lots of playground equipment & grills. She attended a magnet school so there were kids from all over the city and we thought that they would enjoy seeing their school friends a month after school got out.

Three children out of a class of twenty-five children came. The four girls had fun but it was not the party that I had expected (plus it was an expensive lesson with a $100 rental fee for that section of the park). It was also my first experience with people not RSVPing so we had no idea who was coming or not coming. I had hot dogs, buns, & dessert, plus activities & party favors for two dozen kids & parents. Luckily, the extra food was able to be frozen & the other things used later.

It got better, but it was very common for 1/3 or more of my daughter's friends to be on vacation and unable to attend her birthday party.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-25-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting