Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,284,841 times

Advertisements

I have twins (boy/girl) and I don't know what to do with them anymore. I am a stay at home mom and all we do is stay in and watch tv/play with their toys. I can't possibly go to the mall or Target one more time. I would get them into The Little Gym or something, but that is expensive with two of them of the same age. ANy suggestions?
I am in NOVA....Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,731,631 times
Oh, I have a good idea...have you tried meetup.com?? You can find all sorts of groups of people in your area with similar interests. Maybe there's one there for moms with small kids, and you can get acquainted with some other moms like you, give your kids play dates, maybe swap ideas or babysitting and just get yourself a nice little support group?

Good luck, I know how hard it is!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,191,569 times
When my son was that age we went to the park a lot. I took him on nature walks (stroller of course)anything I could possibly do outside. I don't know where you are in relation to cold weather even if it were for 20 min. that is something.

Let's see, story hour at the library? Sometimes they have classes just for toddlers. I also did meetup.com. I was involved with a great group while I lived in Ca. They went to local parks, mom and kid movie day, trips on the local train, apple picking, strawberry picking etc...

Don't forget the zoos and museums. Good luck I know it is hard to find things to do with a little one so young.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,020,610 times
you mentioned costs were defering you from Little Gym, have you contacted any local gymnastics clubs? Most will have mommy and me classes, and many places offer scholorships and/or reduced fees....also, many will have open preschool play, often for about 3.00 or such for an hour or two of play,and youd probably meet similar minded parents while there for even more friends/activities...just a thought.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,913,141 times
How about getting a gym type of video and doing what they would do at the facility at home? Let them tumble over your sofa pillows, jump/dance along to the songs, climb on you. That's pretty much what my friend says they do with her and her daughter where she goes. How much are you looking to do with them? I would think toys at home with the occassional outing would be fine at that age. My daughter is two and we've been to a zoo, acquarium (her grandparents took her to that one), some snow tubing last winter (very little hills ), but I think I'm the minority in that I don't think they need to be constantly entertained by me. With your twins-do they interact a lot with each other? How about getting out your tupperware, some pots and pans, a few spatulas and let them go to town? It's hard in the winter months too. I think it's easier to get out and do things when the weather is nicer.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,731,631 times
Or how about something like swimming classes? Check your local community center!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,449,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I have twins (boy/girl) and I don't know what to do with them anymore. I am a stay at home mom and all we do is stay in and watch tv/play with their toys. I can't possibly go to the mall or Target one more time. I would get them into The Little Gym or something, but that is expensive with two of them of the same age. ANy suggestions?
I am in NOVA....Thanks!
You can try and see if there's a local MOMS Club in your area. The membership fee is inexpensive and you can have a playdate with other kids their age.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM

21,874 posts, read 19,025,888 times
Do what's easiest and least stress on you. Don't feel they need to be "learning" or "entertained" all the time. I'd put myself on the floor with them sitting or lying so I could rest and they knew I was there. I had twins and its exhausting, much easier from age 2 on in my opinion.

I'm big on a kitchen cupboard at floor level with pans and spoons they can bang and stack, also that they can open, empty out completely, crawl in the cupboard, and it's all relatively safe and entertaining to them. My kids were much more satisfied even at that young age with "real" stuff (i.e. adult household items like the kitchen stuff) than "toys" or dummyed down stuff for kids.

I got where I emptied one room out completely except for a mattress and a couple of foam pads and let them crawl around and roll around and wrestle with each other, they loved it in there, we called it the "pad room" for me it was let them get exhausted so then they could take a good nap and I'd have some peace

Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,357,914 times
When my first child was that age, we lived in a new place. It was hard meeting people. The library had a weekly toddler program, lots of moms there. There was also a Mothers Club. I scrapbook, so I was able to meet other moms at the local scrapbook store. One of the gyms here had a mom and tot program.

Check with the local park districts within driving distance. Maybe they have a mothers club. Also check with MOPS (mothers of preschoolers). They might invite you even if your kids aren't quite pre-school age. Just tell them you MUST get out of the house, lol.

If all else fails, start your own mothers club. The local library or park district might provide a room to meet for free. Advertising would be easy, flyers around town, etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,029,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I am in NOVA....Thanks!
We found the YMCA really useful - and not expensive. Ours has a great gym, pool etc, and excellent child care where you can leave the kids while you have a swim, or get them involved in the kids' activity classes. It's a good place to meet other families too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting