Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times

Advertisements

Make faces, smile at them, even tell the parents that their child is adorable. But I wouldn't go as far as touching them. Some parents can be cruel and nasty, they might press charges. It's sad, especially when what you did was actually innocent. Some people are just dirty minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's probably less egregious if you're a woman, but for a young man we automatically think creepy stranger danger. I know that's sort of unfair, but it is what it is.
I think it's more about how they look and how they're presented than what their gender is.

I mean, I would personally be more alarmed if a trashy looking lady were to touch my kid than some ordinary looking young man. I'm pretty sure most people would think that way.

Last edited by Ethereal; 01-26-2015 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
No touchy.

Keep your hands to yourself.

You want to "tickle her nose"?!? Thereby introducing all those germy things you've just touched (door handles, cart handles, food items others have touched and put back, your own nose) to her brand new immune system and possibly get her sick? No. Just no.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think it's rude to touch any stranger , no matter the age. Smiling at a baby, or making funny faces? Fine. Hands off please.
Yep

Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Faces and smiles are fine, but please don't touch.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
People used to come up and ask if they could touch my oldest daughter, when she was a baby. A lot of people seem to have that urge and I think it's harmless, but it's a little awkward to tell them no.

As kids get older, they develop their own attitude about it...there's a cashier at the grocery store, an older man, who always tells my youngest that she's beautiful and wants to pat her on the head. She makes elaborate plans to avoid him. And neither of my kids will hug their uncle...last time he asked them for a hug they offered him a fist bump instead.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
I had very long, very blonde hair as a child and my brother was a red head. People were constantly touching our heads and we both hated it. HATED IT. Fine to make faces and get giggles but I agree - hands off. And it has nothing to do with fear mongering and everything to do with just not touching strangers.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
People used to come up and ask if they could touch my oldest daughter, when she was a baby. A lot of people seem to have that urge and I think it's harmless, but it's a little awkward to tell them no.

As kids get older, they develop their own attitude about it...there's a cashier at the grocery store, an older man, who always tells my youngest that she's beautiful and wants to pat her on the head. She makes elaborate plans to avoid him. And neither of my kids will hug their uncle...last time he asked them for a hug they offered him a fist bump instead.
Sad that we as a nation have come to this... Not just what you state but some of the other responses here as well.
We've been so programmed that everyone is a potential predator, that the guy standing next to you in line may just grab your kid and run away (or probably will because he dared to smile at your child) so contact that was once considered "normal" is verboten.

As for the OP, I'd highly suggest you keep your hands to yourself lest you wind up in handcuffs or at the very least highly embarrassed by some parent screaming at you in the middle of a store forever branding you "one of those creepy weirdo's" to be avoided and watched...

Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
If you live in South Texas, or someplace with a similar culture, and praise a child, sometimes you are also expected to touch the child, to ward off the Evil Eye.

Mal de Ojo, The Evil Eye: 10 Curious Customs of Latina Moms - mom.me

Quote:
No matter what you call it, the "evil eye" is unwanted in cultures around the world. In Latin American culture, "mal de ojo" is caused when one looks at another with envy and it is believed to inflict injury or bad luck. Mothers are especially wary of evil eye and protect their infants by having them wear bracelets, like this red-beaded one from El Salvador. Those who come to admire the baby are also encouraged to touch the child to ward off "mal de ojo." Children afflicted with evil eye must be seen by a curandero (healer), who will often perform a ritual which includes passing an egg over the child's body and breaking it into a glass of water.
Where I live, if I remark that a baby or young child is cute, I give a quick touch to a foot or top of the head because it is often expected. Even if the parent isn't superstitious, most people around here understand the custom.

Hedgehog Mom, if you're in San Antonio and people are wanting to touch your children, this is probably why.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sad that we as a nation have come to this... Not just what you state but some of the other responses here as well.
We've been so programmed that everyone is a potential predator, that the guy standing next to you in line may just grab your kid and run away (or probably will because he dared to smile at your child) so contact that was once considered "normal" is verboten.

As for the OP, I'd highly suggest you keep your hands to yourself lest you wind up in handcuffs or at the very least highly embarrassed by some parent screaming at you in the middle of a store forever branding you "one of those creepy weirdo's" to be avoided and watched...
It's not acceptable to touch people who can't object to being touched, now or 30 years ago. You can show friendliness without putting your hands on someone.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I have a friend who did a lot of work with sexually abused children. When she had children of her own, she was extremely protective.

Once at the mall, a strange man patted her son's head. She went off SCREAMING that he was a disgusting pervert and to get away from her child.

I would probably avoid dealing with something like that if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting