Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 AM

26 posts, read 33,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
In that case you described.. yes, it's inappropriate.

I'd be VERY cautious of any man touching my kid that I didn't know. I'm a mom myself and there has been a rare guy that tries to talk to my kid and get touchy/playful with them - all the while ignoring me like I wasn't even standing there. That sets off MAJOR red flags and I quickly get my kid away from people like that.
You sound awfully paranoid about life in general. Do you even leave the house or are you paralyzed with fear with all the red flags going off in your head?

Quote:
On the flip side: I've also had men interested in ME, paying great attention to me, flirting, etc. And they realized I had a child so they acknowledge them and make a bit of small talk or "hey kiddo.. how's it going? Are you having fun?" and then turn back to focusing on me again. There's nothing wrong with that scenario.

Why would any guy show attention in you? You seem like the freaky paranoid type that sexy guys like me avoid like the plague!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxiBoi83 View Post
Just to tickle a kid's nose?

It's not rude to touch a stranger. I shake hands with people every day who I never met before.
A handshake requires a mutual consent, though.

The only time I've touched a stranger's baby was at a bookstore when the mom was looking at a book and didn't realize her baby was falling out of the stroller. I tried to get her attention verbally, but I did so as I was rushing to grab the baby to re-seat him back in the stroller. She was really appreciative.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,649,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My kids are hispanic and we live in heavily hispanic community. That is why my kids were touched a lot, I think. Hugged, picked up, kissed, patted, etc. It wasn't really an issue until they were older and it bothered them. Well my daughter wouldn't participate ever because she is shy, so people mostly left her alone.

It was usually women, though.
It must be because I was raised down here that I don't think it's a big deal. I grew up getting patted on the head and otherwise physically acknowledged by kind strangers. It never bothered me for someone to casually touch my daughter when she was little. I'm not talking about someone pawing her or endangering her, but a quick, friendly pat never bothered me at all. I do agree that it's mostly women, though.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:31 AM

25,420 posts, read 17,101,865 times
Quote:
I'm a 32 y/o white male who never had kids.

I was standing in line at the grocery store behind a couple who put their 1 yr. old daughter in the cart so she was staring at me the whole time. Normally, I'm too busy looking at my phone to care, but this little girl was cute as a button and just kept staring at me. So I decided to be a clown and make funny faces at her, and of course she smiled and giggled and it brightened my day.

I wanted to give her a pat on the head or pinch her cheeks or tickle her nose, but would this be considered rude and inappropriate without asking her parents first ? I didn't want to cause a "scene".

I would think most rational people would consider this OK, but I know we live in a fear-mongering society where every stranger is considered a violent child molester until proven otherwise.

Let me know your thoughts.
Depends a little bit on where you are.

Here in the South we touch each other all the time. Strangers, friends, we are always patting each other on the arm back, or if you are a child on the head or hand.

Yesterday at a restaurant the toddler behind me was watching me as I ate. She was Asian. When I left I whispered "Bye" and touched the back or her hand with one finger. Her parents seemed to enjoy the interaction. If parents can't get over something that inconsequential then there is something wrong with them.

I say, "Touch each other"! I don't know why, but somehow it is good for both of you.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,399,695 times
Quote:
You sound awfully paranoid about life in general. Do you even leave the house or are you paralyzed with fear with all the red flags going off in your head?

Why would any guy show attention in you? You seem like the freaky paranoid type that sexy guys like me avoid like the plague!
"Boi" that's entirely humorous that you would even consider yourself "sexy."

I have been around some of the shadiest places you could ever imagine in my time and as common sense would dictate (and due to personal experience) I keep a vigilant eye on my offspring and do what I can to protect them from people such as yourself. I will continue to do so.

Like it or not.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
"Boi" that's entirely humorous that you would even consider yourself "sexy."

I have been around some of the shadiest places you could ever imagine in my time and as common sense would dictate (and due to personal experience) I keep a vigilant eye on my offspring and do what I can to protect them from people such as yourself. I will continue to do so.

Like it or not.
LOL, your paranoia about the big mean world is pretty much laughable, if not incredibly sad.

I feel bad for your kids, being raised by a mother who will teach them that there is nothing but FEAR out there and it's better to stay holed up in your house for an entire lifetime. What a legacy.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
When I left I whispered "Bye" and touched the back or her hand with one finger.

I say, "Touch each other"! I don't know why, but somehow it is good for both of you.
90% of the people posting in this thread would call you a child molester for doing that.

So sad what kind of society we've become.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,842,964 times
yet another perfectly normal post going down the drain of personal attacks

Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
The only time I've touched a stranger's baby was at a bookstore when the mom was looking at a book and didn't realize her baby was falling out of the stroller. I tried to get her attention verbally, but I did so as I was rushing to grab the baby to re-seat him back in the stroller. She was really appreciative.
90% of the people posting in here would call you a "child molester" for touching that baby without first getting parental consent.

That's the kind of society we are living in now.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,423,432 times
Yeah, that would of been pretty odd if you would of touched the kid.

If you asked, can I pat her on the head, you would of been greeted with a unsure. . ."uhh.....I ....guess"

Note: this must be American. When I was touring Philly I my son (a little over 2 and cute as a button) was accosted by Chinese tourist who proceed to grab him and pose with him.

So yeah, it must be a culture thing

We were like. . .uh, okay. . .huh. . .hmm

Quote:
I'm a 32 y/o white male who never had kids.

I was standing in line at the grocery store behind a couple who put their 1 yr. old daughter in the cart so she was staring at me the whole time. Normally, I'm too busy looking at my phone to care, but this little girl was cute as a button and just kept staring at me. So I decided to be a clown and make funny faces at her, and of course she smiled and giggled and it brightened my day.

I wanted to give her a pat on the head or pinch her cheeks or tickle her nose, but would this be considered rude and inappropriate without asking her parents first ? I didn't want to cause a "scene".

I would think most rational people would consider this OK, but I know we live in a fear-mongering society where every stranger is considered a violent child molester until proven otherwise.

Let me know your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting