Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
You should probably understand that exposure to germs is how children develop immunity.
No, it's how they develop illness. I'd rather they get your particular strain of influenza as a 190lb adult than as a 20 and change lb infant who can't tell me that their tummy hurts and they're gonna puke in their crib.

You don't have a clue.

Hands off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:11 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
No, it's how they develop illness. I'd rather they get your particular strain of influenza as a 190lb adult than as a 20 and change lb infant who can't tell me that their tummy hurts and they're gonna puke in their crib.

You don't have a clue.

Hands off.
While I agree that people should not be touching infants (or even toddlers), it is true that exposure to germs is what develops our adaptive immunity.

Immune System

Quote:
Everyone is born with innate (or natural) immunity, a type of general protection. Many of the germs that affect other species don't harm us.
Quote:
The second kind of protection is adaptive (or active) immunity, which develops throughout our lives. Adaptive immunity involves the lymphocytes and develops as people are exposed to diseases or immunized against diseases through vaccination.
Quote:
Passive immunity is "borrowed" from another source and it lasts for a short time. For example, antibodies in a mother's breast milk provide a baby with temporary immunity to diseases the mother has been exposed to. This can help protect the baby against infection during the early years of childhood.
Some doctors in Japan have been fighting against the parental urge to stay *too* clean for years because that hurts immunity.

National obsession with cleanliness bodes ill for health ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

Quote:
This obsession with “germ removal” and “disinfection” is driving out “good” bacteria that is always present on the body.
Quote:
Around the time of the “bubble economy” of the early 1990s, this creeping mysophobia became increasingly extreme, spawning such phenomena as people who found that sitting on the same taxi seat as the previous passenger was so repellent, they would first spread a disposable sheet before planting their own rump. Others would wear gloves to avoid touching a strap handle on a train. Some parents even demanded schools to revert to Japanese-style commodes because they don’t want their children’s backsides making contact “where someone else has been.”

These practices have been contributing to the decline in people’s natural immunity. And the most extreme example of all is to be found in bidet-type toilets.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sad that we as a nation have come to this... Not just what you state but some of the other responses here as well.
We've been so programmed that everyone is a potential predator, that the guy standing next to you in line may just grab your kid and run away (or probably will because he dared to smile at your child) so contact that was once considered "normal" is verboten. {snip}
I couldn't agree more. People anymore these days are ridiculously--dare I use the word--touchy. They're beyond anal retentive and they're being utterly ridiculous. I'd go so far as to say that, if it were up to me, a parent would be REQUIRED, yes REQUIRED, to accept and overlook something as innocent as what the original poster was talking about, to the point of being arrested for filing a complaint, in terms of wasting resources over silly matters, if they were to make a stink over it.

People who get upset over something as innocent and sweet and kind as what the original poster was talking about are doing nothing more than being prideful and arrogant and ruining the community around them in the process, by making something nasty and dirty over something as precious and minimal as this. I typically stand up for parents rights and parents being the ones to make the call about things concerning their children, but this, much as with photographers taking candid photos of other's children in the public setting, is an exception to that.

I can say it's refreshing when you encounter the opposite of this, and I'm thankful for it. There is this one couple with a 5 year old girl that comes in periodically where I work and she has taken a liking to me, with the silly demeanor I often demonstrate while there. They don't mind me chasing her around the store, this girl hugs me, and once I even--gasp--PICKED HER UP and carried her to her parents' vehicle for her. They were smiling in appreciation over our encounter, and it just made me feel so sweet and kind and touched in a deep and totally APPROPRIATE sort of way.

THAT is how it should be. Period.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-23-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I couldn't agree more. People anymore these days are ridiculously--dare I use the word--touchy. They're beyond anal retentive and they're being utterly ridiculous. I'd go so far as to say that, if it were up to me, a parent would be REQUIRED, yes REQUIRED, to accept and overlook something as innocent as what the original poster was talking about, to the point of being arrested for filing a complaint, in terms of wasting resources over silly matters, if they were to make a stink over it.

People who get upset over something as innocent and sweet and kind as what the original poster was talking about are doing nothing more than being prideful and arrogant and ruining the community around them in the process, by making something nasty and dirty over something as precious and minimal as this. I typically stand up for parents rights and parents being the ones to make the call about things concerning their children, but this, much as with photographers taking candid photos of other's children in the public setting, is an exception to that.

I can say it's refreshing when you encounter the opposite of this, and I'm thankful for it. There is this one couple with a 5 year old girl that comes in periodically where I work and she has taken a liking to me, with the silly demeanor I often demonstrate while there. They don't mind me chasing her around the store, this girl hugs me, and once I even--gasp--PICKED HER UP and carried her to her parents' vehicle for her. They were smiling in appreciation over our encounter, and it just made me feel so sweet and kind and touched in a deep and totally APPROPRIATE sort of way.

THAT is how it should be. Period.
Let me get this straight....

It should be REQUIRED that a parent allow their infant child to be "touched" about the head and face any time a complete stranger feels the compulsion to do so??

THAT is your position on this??

As a father of 3 girls I can tell you unequivocally that if a youngish man tried to touch one of my children's faces uninvited and unknown to me, that same "boi" would end up flat on his back seeing stars...

There is nothing "sweet,kind and precious" about strangers touching your children out of some odd compulsive desire as stated in the OP.

Like it or not, and I say this as a man, it is even "weirder" for a guy to want to do this. Sexist or not I don't think most people would have the same visceral response if this were a woman posting.

Based on the username, limited posts, and argumentative retorts I assume the OP to be a troll post anyway.

Your post on the other hand....get a grip dude, no one has the "right" to go around touching other people's kids and your position on this sends off more alarm bells for me than the OP which I take to be a joke...

Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 10,136 times
Most parents, including myself, would be very uncomfortable with any stranger touching their kids. "Rude" wouldn't really describe it... just "inappropriate." My thoughts are that I've had similar situations many times when kids warm up to me. And I'm quite satisfied with just making faces or responding in kind to whatever conversation they are having. That doesn't mean I wouldn't touch, but I take my cue off the parent...who HAS to suggest it first. That's just my take since I've already raised 4 of my own.

It happened once on a long flight where a nice lady actually trusted her instinct and left me to look after her 2-year old while she went to the rest room. If she hadn't said anything to me, I'd have tried to ignore her baby no matter what.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Let me get this straight....

It should be REQUIRED that a parent allow their infant child to be "touched" about the head and face any time a complete stranger feels the compulsion to do so??

THAT is your position on this??

As a father of 3 girls I can tell you unequivocally that if a youngish man tried to touch one of my children's faces uninvited and unknown to me, that same "boi" would end up flat on his back seeing stars...

There is nothing "sweet,kind and precious" about strangers touching your children out of some odd compulsive desire as stated in the OP.

Like it or not, and I say this as a man, it is even "weirder" for a guy to want to do this. Sexist or not I don't think most people would have the same visceral response if this were a woman posting.

Based on the username, limited posts, and argumentative retorts I assume the OP to be a troll post anyway.

Your post on the other hand....get a grip dude, no one has the "right" to go around touching other people's kids and your position on this sends off more alarm bells for me than the OP which I take to be a joke...
Yes I said it and I meant it. If something as innocent as what the original poster did is cause for alarm, I'd say a person feeling this way is being, at best, petty, and maybe downright mentally insane. Gee whiz, all the guy did was show innocent affection towards a sweet child. Compared to the prospect of people having a gruff and dismissive attitude towards "someone's children who aren't my problem," I'd say some parents ought to be THANKFUL that someone finds their child precious and is deliberately extending kindness to them. Parents like this need to quit being ridiculous.

And yes, being more that way towards a man vs a woman is no less discrimination than burning crosses on the lawn of an African-American's home or walking on the other side of the street from them due to assuming they're hoodlums. To advocate such a position is totally disgraceful.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes I said it and I meant it. If something as innocent as what the original poster did is cause for alarm, I'd say a person feeling this way is being, at best, petty, and maybe downright mentally insane. Gee whiz, all the guy did was show innocent affection towards a sweet child. Compared to the prospect of people having a gruff and dismissive attitude towards "someone's children who aren't my problem," I'd say some parents ought to be THANKFUL that someone finds their child precious and is deliberately extending kindness to them. Parents like this need to quit being ridiculous.

And yes, being more that way towards a man vs a woman is no less discrimination than burning crosses on the lawn of an African-American's home or walking on the other side of the street from them due to assuming they're hoodlums. To advocate such a position is totally disgraceful.
Clearly you are NOT a parent...

A total stranger wants to "touch" an infant on the face that he does not know without the assent of the parent..

I don't know of a single parent that would be "thankful" for having a stranger touch their infant on the face nor should they be "thankful"

Not innocent, not normal and probably bordering on "mentally insane" as are you...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM

339 posts, read 334,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
If you touch my 1 year old daughter while standing in line, for any reason, I will knock you flat on your face. Yes, you are WAY out of line to even think this is ok.
LOL--Oh lordy, another tough guy with "internet muscles."

This--and all the other posts from over-protective, dull, Daddies who think an innocent pat on the head of a child, in a public place, in full view of her parents is in any way creepy, are just more examples of how this country has taken political correctness and groundless fear to absurd extremes.

They are members of what I like to call The Sheeple. The Kool-Aid drinkers. Who gullibly buy the media's obsession with fear mongering, by perpetuating the idea there are hordes of kidnapping or kid-molesting strangers out there ready to snatch your child when given the slightest chance.

News flash: It is all a hoax. Child molestations or kidnapping have not risen, per capita since records began being kept some 30 years ago. Ask any cop or social worker what happened to 95% of those kids whose pics you see as "missing" at your local supermarket.

They went to live with the non-custodial parent, after a divorce. That's what.

Baaaa!

Last edited by Der Vogel; 02-24-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 05:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
It is neither political correctness, not groundless fear. It's the setting of boundaries, which adults, and children have the right to do. If you want to stroke something, get a kitten.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
LOL--Oh lordy, another tough guy with "internet muscles."

This--and all the other posts from over-protective, dull, Daddies who think an innocent pat on the head of a child, in a public place, in full view of her parents is in any way creepy, are just more examples of how this country has taken political correctness and groundless fear to absurd extremes.
Yes, exactly. I don't know if I'm on-board with everything else, but it's definitely ridiculous over-reacting. I do also agree, too, that people are so prone to thinking any guy interacting with a child in this way is "creepy." It's so ridiculous it borders on the mentally insane spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting