Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 PM

26 posts, read 33,767 times

Advertisements

I'm a 32 y/o white male who never had kids.

I was standing in line at the grocery store behind a couple who put their 1 yr. old daughter in the cart so she was staring at me the whole time. Normally, I'm too busy looking at my phone to care, but this little girl was cute as a button and just kept staring at me. So I decided to be a clown and make funny faces at her, and of course she smiled and giggled and it brightened my day.

I wanted to give her a pat on the head or pinch her cheeks or tickle her nose, but would this be considered rude and inappropriate without asking her parents first ? I didn't want to cause a "scene".

I would think most rational people would consider this OK, but I know we live in a fear-mongering society where every stranger is considered a violent child molester until proven otherwise.

Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I think it's rude to touch any stranger , no matter the age. Smiling at a baby, or making funny faces? Fine. Hands off please.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think it's rude to touch any stranger , no matter the age. Smiling at a baby, or making funny faces? Fine. Hands off please.
I tend to agree.

Nice thought, OP, and I can see your intentions in the urge to reach out and touch the baby were good, but I also try to avoid touching strangers - as cute as little babies can be! I'm also not a very touchy person at all, though, so that may influence my opinion.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM

26 posts, read 33,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Just to tickle a kid's nose?

It's not rude to touch a stranger. I shake hands with people every day who I never met before.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
The parents would probably not have liked you patting her on the head or anything like that. I'll touch strangers' kids to help them (I've been asked by kids to help them sort their gloves and boots out, help with bicycle helmets, that kind of thing) but otherwise no. I do make funny faces at babies in the shop though - love doing that!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxiBoi83 View Post
I'm a 32 y/o white male who never had kids.

I was standing in line at the grocery store behind a couple who put their 1 yr. old daughter in the cart so she was staring at me the whole time. Normally, I'm too busy looking at my phone to care, but this little girl was cute as a button and just kept staring at me. So I decided to be a clown and make funny faces at her, and of course she smiled and giggled and it brightened my day.

I wanted to give her a pat on the head or pinch her cheeks or tickle her nose, but would this be considered rude and inappropriate without asking her parents first ? I didn't want to cause a "scene".

I would think most rational people would consider this OK, but I know we live in a fear-mongering society where every stranger is considered a violent child molester until proven otherwise.

Let me know your thoughts.
Sorry to be a bummer, but most moms would prefer you not engage with their kids at all beyond a smile. Touching in any way is a total no-no. It's probably less egregious if you're a woman, but for a young man we automatically think creepy stranger danger. I know that's sort of unfair, but it is what it is.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:54 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Keep your hands to yourself.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Yeah... keep your hands to yourself.

And more so than ever now, during flu season.

And when you are shaking hands, OP, you are meeting/being introduced. That is quite different than randomly touching strangers.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Nothing to do with stranger danger.
Don't touch kids...you or they might get sick.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
People couldn't keep their hands off my son, there were times it felt rude and sometimes it didn't. He personally found it rude after infancy. Id stay on the safe side and not touch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting