Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 7,422 times

Advertisements

I acted as the donor for a female/female couple. Each wanted to carry a pregnancy, and, they wanted to "tie" the offspring together genetically.
*I only know this because I was an open profile donor, and the offspring contacted me when they reached 16. They also located another set of siblings via the donor conception network.
**I'm not perfect. Though, apparently 6'2", Blond, Blue is popular. It is a commitment, I had to donate 2 times per week for 10 months. Knowing - having know met 2 of them, and their mothers, I know I did the right thing. Just seeing how much joy they have given to the mothers, was enough for me. They call me "uncle" and stuff.
THIS IS NOT THE NORM, Most donors are CLOSED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Had a classmate in a relatively high level professional school, who used to do this for pay. At the time, I asked him how he could stand knowing there were children out there whom he had fathered, about whose welfare he knew nothing. He didn't care.

Now, older, I feel more as he did.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My sperm donor son does it for altruistic reasons. he knows how much time and money and effort we spent on infertility treatments just to get him here and he says he wants to help couples have families. Also he feels his "superior genetic materials should be shared". Nothing wrong with his ego.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 7,422 times
Default It is a compliment

I have to agree, the clinic I donated through looked at EVERYTHING from physical traits, background, ethnic makeup, health, college gpa etc.... If you pass all of that, then they perform a free/thaw, and make sure you have enough swimmers after your DNA is cryo'ed. The thaw process sometimes pushes out 50% of applicants.
If your son is interested, the donor registry is a decent place to touch base (if he wanted too.) I didnt want to end up on MTV (they had a show about sperm donor kids.) I have to agree, it is an ego boost.... From my ethic makeup (i am multiracial,) my gpa, background, hobbies, physical traits... When I was doing this, there was only a 2% accept rate, and I was paid nothing like the donors get now.... I really did do this for altruistic reason, but I cant lie and say it didn't make me feel good inside.
*I honestly think that the money isn't enough, local to me, the donors are paid $70 (ICI only) $90 (ICI and IUI.)
**On another note, the irony that I was a donor later came back to me, in the sense that I required an egg donor to have my children.... Egg Donor/Surrogate (TS) $11,400 (for one) domestic, so involved with her pregnancy, I was in the room for delivery; Egg Donor/Surrogate (TS) $29,900 x 2 (anonymous donation/surrogate abroad in central America. Then, Egg Donor and separate Gestational Surrogate (GS) in India $26,000 (US dollars) but the 5 months I had to stay their after my daughter was born, and subsequently God called her home all too soon, $92K (US)
We are hoping to try one more time... Crossing fingers for twins, either b/g or b/b. Having one son and 3 daughters, Id like to even things out for my little boy, or atleat give him a brother. I am working toward a program abroad, total $40,300 (egg donor, surrogate, and all expenses,) but in USA, $120K easy....

Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Interesting that my son was much sought after in USA and Singapore where he was doing his post doc. He was flown to Indonesia, Hong Kong, etc by several clinics who were all coordinated to keep records. Apparently many Asian women and couples desire half caucasian children. Then he moved to Kazakhstan for a job and immediately went to the fertility clinic where he was told "Sorry, we don't accept Western sperm donors". That was a kick in the teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting