Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:55 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,735,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
OTOH, it may be totally unnecessary for the parent to get a booster; ideally they should talk to their doctors. They can also get a titer to see if they are immune; if so, they don't need another dose. Of course, a booster never hurts.
If you've had two doses, you are very likely immune. No need to get a third dose. It's not a booster - you either develop antibodies, or you don't. If you didn't develop antibodies after two doses, unlikely you would after a third dose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The measles virus can linger in the air for up to two hours and babies under a year old are especially at risk because they're too young to receive the vaccine.

That didn't used to be the case when the mother had already HAD natural measles. She would have passed her own immunity down to the child and babies never got measles. Looks like either everybody's got to get vaccinated or nobody should get vaccinated. There's no "in between."

Since the mothers are no longer passing their immunity down to their babies, then I guess I'd be FOR getting everyone vaccinated. Realistically, not many mothers today have the "luxury" of staying home for two weeks to care for a kid with the measles anyway, no matter what age the kid is. My mother did and she and my dad took turns reading to me. Neighbors lent piles of books so that I could be read to--you had to be careful for the entire TWO WEEKS. Two boring weeks in bed and not feeling sick, feeling so good that you wanted to go out and play--but therein lay the danger. Resuming normal activity too soon!!!!!
This is not true. Maternal antibody is GONE by six months old, usually by four months old. I had measles before I was a year old, brought home to me by older sibs. And my mother, of course, had had measles, so had natural immunity.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Because they don't protect a child past breastfeeding.
Even breastfeeding by an immune mother is not a surefire safeguard. Cannot depend upon that.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:00 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you've had two doses, you are very likely immune. No need to get a third dose. It's not a booster - you either develop antibodies, or you don't. If you didn't develop antibodies after two doses, unlikely you would after a third dose.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. First of all, I'm not talking about myself; a) I was born before 1957; b) I have a documented history of having measles, and I also remember having it. Secondly, I meant the person should talk to their doctor as we don't have their entire health history. Finally, I meant that even if they've had two doses, a third will do no harm, and, as you said, would be simpler than a titer. I don't know how insurance pays for immunizations like this that aren't generally recommended for adults.

The peds office where I work has not changed its MMR policy yet. When I walk in to work Weds, that may be different. We've only had one case here in CO, fortunately.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This is the 3 yr old who contracted the measles despite getting the first dose of the MMR:

https://gma.yahoo.com/mom-3-old-meas...-wellness.html
About 5% of people don't develop immunity after the first dose. For that reason, kids receive a second dose, usually at 4-5 yrs old. But you only have to wait 4 weeks between doses. It's not that the kid is too young.

This is about to become a public health emergency. Pediatricians should be giving the second doses right now to all kids who are more than a month out from the first dose, who haven't yet received the second dose.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
About 5% of people don't develop immunity after the first dose. For that reason, kids receive a second dose, usually at 4-5 yrs old. But you only have to wait 4 weeks between doses. It's not that the kid is too young.

This is about to become a public health emergency. Pediatricians should be giving the second doses right now to all kids who are more than a month out from the first dose, who haven't yet received the second dose.
There has been no direction from CDC, AAP, or any other group that I know of to change policy.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
There has been no direction from CDC, AAP, or any other group that I know of to change policy.
That's my point! It's time, now, to do this. CDC didn't give directions regarding Ebola screening and quarantine here until after the horse was out of the barn, either.

Kids who've had only one dose are at risk. So are babies too young to have received the MMR. It's time to give the second dose early. In certain areas, it's probably now warranted to give a dose of MMR before the baby is 12 months, too.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,291,592 times
Here's one for the medical professionals...

Is virus shedding an issue for the injected measles vaccine?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:12 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,215,560 times
Quote:
Measles is airborne. It's highly contagious. It remains infectious in an enormous area over an hour after someone infected has passed through. If you wanted to protect your baby, you'd have to never take him out of the house until after he was a year old.

Or we could enforce universal immunization for measles on everyone who doesn't have a MEDICAL exemption. Then the babies would be safe.
True, but considering the outbreak is still not that widespread at all and the vast majority of people ARE vaccinated, keeping the baby away from large gatherings of people/kids should be sufficient to protect them. Being out in the fresh air is usually not an issue, it's indoors where it tends to linger. Also, something as simple as keeping them in the stroller and pulling up the hood and/or throwing a light sheet over it will help keep them away from most of the germs - a 10 month old might not approve of that, but that's what I did at under 6 months if I had to go into a mall, store, bus, etc. As it is, your baby is probably at a much higher danger of serious complications from catching the flu.

Mandatory vaccinations would be great, however in our overly politically correct society with the hippie moms rallying their rights to 'belief exemptions', I just don't see it happening any time soon

Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,291,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
True, but considering the outbreak is still not that widespread at all and the vast majority of people ARE vaccinated, keeping the baby away from large gatherings of people/kids should be sufficient to protect them. Being out in the fresh air is usually not an issue, it's indoors where it tends to linger. As it is, your baby is probably at a much higher danger of serious complications from catching the flu.

Mandatory vaccinations would be great, however in our overly politically correct society with the hippie moms rallying their rights to 'belief exemptions', I just don't see it happening any time soon
The vaccine issue has a remarkable ability to unite people on opposite ends of the political spectrum. It's not just hippie moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting