U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM

13,066 posts, read 20,386,036 times

Advertisements

I agree with Marlow, you should start a new thread in this case.

Reach out to your son's pastor for some support. There is no reason for religion to usurp his entire life. It's being used as an excuse to avoid responsibility, in this case that would be work.

I don't agree with your husband's decision to throw him out, nor your unwillingness to speak up and stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,012,781 times
What sort of 'church' is this.....because if your son is getting involved in a cult...there could be very good reasons for not supporting him in it.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 487 times
We have a 15 year old who hooked up with a18 year old who lied about her situation and mommy let her move in with us she won't work keeping him up half the night then she sleeps all day he has went to barely getting by in school from the honor roll lost his good friends and quit all his sports mom is afraid to take action,he doesn't handle anything well he's been raised in a bubble what to do ? Wait let him do it he's stubborn as hell

Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

6,301 posts, read 7,510,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie402 View Post
We have a 15 year old who hooked up with a18 year old who lied about her situation and mommy let her move in with us she won't work keeping him up half the night then she sleeps all day he has went to barely getting by in school from the honor roll lost his good friends and quit all his sports mom is afraid to take action,he doesn't handle anything well he's been raised in a bubble what to do ? Wait let him do it he's stubborn as hell
Kick out the 18 year old--not that hard. Change the locks. Then do everything possible to make it very, very difficult for the 15 year old to see or communicate with the 18 year old. Take away or restrict his devices, including his phone. Drop him off/pick him up from school. Restrict his social activities for awhile UNLESS it's visiting a friend's house and you now the parents.

If "Mom" is afraid to take action, then you do it with or without her support. Someone has to be the adult and it's not the 15 yo, 18 yo or mom here. It might be inconvenient but imagine the future. Read some of the threads here about "adult" children living off their parents. Show them to your wife if necessary and ask if that is what she wants for your 15 year old.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 PM

10,955 posts, read 6,862,048 times
I noticed the age of this thread, so I didn't read all of the responses. But I have an 18 year old son who is unmotivated to do what he needs to do, and we're struggling to get him nudged toward the edge of the nest. Got a great suggestion from a friend (at least it's worked out splendidly for her son) and sometime around the end of this month, we are sending him to Job Corps. Free vocational training, and they'll make him follow rules and hold him to standards better than I seem able to do at this point. He wanted to become a welder anyways, and they've got programs for this. Also, he does not yet have his driver's license, and they'll help him with that.

So I don't know if others suggested Job Corps, but it seems worth looking into for anyone struggling to get a young adult child "launched."

Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM

11,852 posts, read 18,023,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I noticed the age of this thread...
LOL...I am amazing of what gets necroposted...brought back from the dead.

Now the 18 year old would be in his late 20's. Would be interesting for the OP to come back after all the drama from a decade ago and give us an update.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM

25,930 posts, read 61,598,844 times
I am pretty sure in most communities the trash pick up will only accept 18 year olds on one day of the year.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:36 PM

5,510 posts, read 3,079,105 times
Be careful...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/21-year-o...767331362.html

Luckily was overturned on appeal but still...

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,956,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
... Got a great suggestion from a friend (at least it's worked out splendidly for her son) and sometime around the end of this month, we are sending him to Job Corps. ...
One of our sons participated in a Job Corps program for a few months and had a really good experience. He wasn't a troubled kid or anything, but we were looking for ways to keep him busy one summer. He wasn't driving yet and at that time he didn't have a job (had just become old enough to work but didn't have a job yet) and he was seeming sort of restless and was sometimes giving us that teenager attitude that was making him not pleasant to be around all the time. I didn't want him hanging around the house all summer or spending his summer aimlessly, so we enrolled him in the program. At first he was not wanting to do it and griped about it, but once the program began he had a really good experience and made some friends. They paid a stipend for the program he did, so it was also his first experience earning money for hard work. It was very beneficial for him. They also required that the kids wore uniforms (work boots, button-down work shirts, gloves, hard hats) and he grumbled about that at first, too, but eventually really liked it. They took them out and wore them out with hard work every day, then brought them back home. We would feed him dinner and he'd go straight to bed, exhausted. Then he would get up early and do the same the next day. It was great! He seemed more mature and ready for the working world when the program was over and after school started that fall he got his first "real" job.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

4,122 posts, read 1,519,742 times
Advice: Write a list of things that would work for you - a contract. Present it to him. If he does not accept it, give him three month's advance warning to vacate your premises. That will give him time to gather resources, and will give you time to let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or