Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,871,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

I never cease to be amazed when there's a snow storm and school is cancelled that there aren't teams of kids offering to shovel out driveways for a few dollars of spending money. The streets are deserted and even the homes with children have Dad out there clearing off the sidewalk. <sigh>
Things just aren't as simple as we remember. Recently there was a case of two brothers who got detained for soliciting jobs as snow shovelers because they did not have licenses. Sad indeed. Somebody complained when they went door to door.

We even hesitated about letting our daughters go door to door to sell Girl Scout cookies....especially since we have a No Soliciting sign on our own front door. We instructed them to look for no soliciting signs and to not bother knocking. They were not trying to earn money for anything personal..just wanted to be good Girl Scouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,338,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is unreal. Asking strangers to pay for a kid's 2nd birthday part is unreal. Any birthday party for that matter. Now if the kid had a terminal illness or just endured a tragedy that is one thing but just because the parents can't afford the kind of party they want??? noway.

Crowd Funding New Way to Pay for Kids' Birthday Parties - ABC News
Good grief, what's next- standing at the door and charging admission?
"Sorry, your child can't come into my child's birthday party unless you pay $5."

Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,227,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
"Sorry, your child can't come into my child's birthday party unless you pay $5."
That was a thread a few weeks ago. Remember the 5 year old who got the bill for not showing up at a party. The billing parent asked the teacher to put it into the kid's backpack....

Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 PM

450 posts, read 505,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
That was a thread a few weeks ago. Remember the 5 year old who got the bill for not showing up at a party. The billing parent asked the teacher to put it into the kid's backpack....
Please excuse me while I barf. (Unreal).

Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,441,099 times
Quote:
This is unreal. Asking strangers to pay for a kid's 2nd birthday part is unreal. Any birthday party for that matter. Now if the kid had a terminal illness or just endured a tragedy that is one thing but just because the parents can't afford the kind of party they want??? noway.

Crowd Funding New Way to Pay for Kids' Birthday Parties - ABC News
What??? I laughed out loud when I read that crowd-funding birthday parties "has it's critics." Really? Not only is this idea ridiculous, it's profoundly tacky. Emily Post is rolling in her grave.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,441,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Yes. Cover charge birthday party with bouncers.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:31 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,909,904 times
Quote:
Things just aren't as simple as we remember. Recently there was a case of two brothers who got detained for soliciting jobs as snow shovelers because they did not have licenses. Sad indeed. Somebody complained when they went door to door.

We even hesitated about letting our daughters go door to door to sell Girl Scout cookies....especially since we have a No Soliciting sign on our own front door. We instructed them to look for no soliciting signs and to not bother knocking. They were not trying to earn money for anything personal..just wanted to be good Girl Scouts.
Regarding the snow shovelers, the article I read stated that they were reported because a resident "saw a suspicious person with blond hair and a hoodie walking through yards". The police investigated and told the young men that a snow emergency was in force and they were out in dangerous conditions. They ultimately did get a few jobs and did earn some money.

As for the Girl Scout cookies, I had grandchildren who sold them and they also hit up aunts and uncles. And it was for personal gain - every box sold helped to finance the girls' trip to summer camp. But in all fairness, selling a product isn't begging. I'd buy a candy bar (or two) (or three) to help fund that band trip to the Rose Bowl or the golf team to an out-of-town tournament. Standing on the corner with a bucket asking for donations is begging, no matter how one dresses it up.

Go Fund Me is simply the internet equivalent of standing on the corner with a bucket.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,018,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

As for the Girl Scout cookies, I had grandchildren who sold them and they also hit up aunts and uncles. And it was for personal gain - every box sold helped to finance the girls' trip to summer camp. But in all fairness, selling a product isn't begging. I'd buy a candy bar (or two) (or three) to help fund that band trip to the Rose Bowl or the golf team to an out-of-town tournament. Standing on the corner with a bucket asking for donations is begging, no matter how one dresses it up.

Go Fund Me is simply the internet equivalent of standing on the corner with a bucket.
Yes, I will often buy a candy bar (or two) (or three, as well as theatergypsy) to support a group fundraiser or buy something good to eat at a bake sale or go to a car wash. However, IMHO just donating cash for something (unless it some type of emergency or tragedy) is just like begging.

BTW, selling Girl Scout cookies usually helps the local troop as well as the state organization. In my area, most of the "benefits" of selling a lot of cookies go to the troop and not the individual seller (except for some small prizes).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:40 PM

450 posts, read 505,375 times
I don't ever want my kids going door-to door. So when they come home from school (or whatever) with fundraising crap and ask to go knock on doors, I just get out the check book. I used to like it when they were selling good quality wrapping paper or other products that you know you have to buy anyways. Sometimes I would also buy simple things like scented candles and other things that make nice neighborly gifts around the holidays. But enough with the magazine subscriptions already. No!

And when the girl scouts are out selling... Whip out the check book! I don't know where the money goes but I gots COOKIES!

Old 02-11-2015, 01:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,806,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
And when the girl scouts are out selling... Whip out the check book! I don't know where the money goes but I gots COOKIES!
The money for girl scout cookies goes to

Girl Scout Cookies | Frequently Asked Questions

1. the local girl scout council which has lots of activities for the girls and maintains the girl scout camps.

Quote:
Each council determines its own revenue structure depending on its cookie cost, local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating troops and groups. On average, Girl Scout council net revenue is approximately 65–75 percent of the local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating Girl Scout troops and groups, referred to as troop proceeds, is approximately 10–20 percent of the local retail price. Cookie program revenue is a critical source of funding for local Girl Scout councils, and it is often what makes it possible to serve girls in hard-to-serve areas, and maintain camps and properties.
2. the troop to support the activities the girls do.

Quote:
Girl Scout troops pool their proceeds to pay for program supplies, activities, and group travel. Girl Scouts may not earn proceeds as individuals; however, Girl Scout councils offer a wide variety of recognition items, program- and store-related credits, and travel experiences that girls are eligible to earn individually based on their sales.
3. the baker (cost of making the cookies and a small profit)

None of the money goes to the national GSUSA.

Our troop is saving for a big trip that will not take place until they are in high school (they are 7th graders now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting