U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,950,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Bullying sure doesn't end at childhood. Those bullies then grow up to become adult ass holes and your child will probably deal with some of them in the workplace.

This world is chock full of mean, rotten people who treat others like garbage because they can.
I know...it's sad, but true. My eldest has been fortunate that her workplace is a good one. She really began to blossom after we allowed her to leave mainstream schooling and pursue her education in a non-conventional way. Being bullied affected her whole personality, and (I believe) led her into a brief marriage to a man that did not treat her well.

I agree that bullies are allowed to act badly sometimes. Certainly, in our school district, almost nothing was done to prevent it or help my daughter not feel afraid while at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:35 PM

634 posts, read 852,446 times
I have a 7th grade girl and I have to say that my hopes and dreams for her are that she lives with no regrets. I want her to look back on her life knowing that she did the best she could in whatever situation she was in. All parents want their children to be happy. And I want that too. I also want her to be a confident, strong woman that contributes to society in a positive way. And I want her to have fun doing it.

My fears for her are always about her getting hurt, whether emotionally, physically, or mentally. She tends to carry a lot on her shoulders and I worry that she is too serious about life sometimes. We live in a very well regarded and competitive school district and that can be draining for the kids.

One thing that I will say has served us well so far.....we have always taught our girls (I have a 10 yo also) that they are in charge of their educational careers. If they have a problem in school, they need to deal direct with the teacher. We as parents will only get involved if it is something beyond their ability to control or if they are not getting the results that they need. Because of this, my 7th grader has no problem having conversations with her teachers when she doesn't understand a grade or needs further explanation on something. This will really help her as she moves along with her education. Teachers are just people, but the authoritative nature of their position can make them intimidating to children. The sooner that they are able to learn to approach a teacher the better. So, I guess my advice to you as a teacher is to listen to the kids and give them the benefit of your attention when needed. Discuss things with them, not at them.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 PM

10 posts, read 7,087 times
Thank you whakru,

That's fantastic advice and just the sort of pointer that I'm looking for. Teaching your children to communicate well with adults early on seems like a hallmark of successful families.

Is there any sort of academic support that you use to take the weight off of their shoulders? Private tutoring? Online resources? Where do you and/or your daughters go for help when you need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or