Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,024,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Husband-and-wife coaching team plead guilty to sex charges | Local News - WAPT Home

Jackson Jambalaya: Terry coach charged with sexual battery of a child.

Gee, I dunno... "Dirty little secret" seems about right. That is, until the secrets hit the headlines. They hit the headlines because somebody tells. Generally, people tell because they have agendas. I don't know about other localities, but in our old metro, something like this was in the news every couple of months. ("Coach Friendly", who'd let the Little League Football players spend the night at his house, when returning from an out-of-town game, for instance. A shrewd little friend of mine rushed over and made a low-ball offer on his house, the second the scandal broke. By 'rushed', I mean no time for shoes: print out the agreement, grab the checkbook, slide into the flipflops by the door, and go! It was a desirable property, in an area where there are few bargains. "I know you want to make this quick and discrete. And I'm here to help. I know you're gonna need cash for the lawyers.") And for every instance where the law/newspapers got involved, there were an indeterminate number of equally grave 'situations' which nobody blabbed.

As for the other: I come from a place where horrible things happen (Burned teen's mom recalls last words to daughter), and dirty deeds are commonplace (Infomercial features Pat Boone endorsing Gina Palasini). That's why 'Haley' and 'Trent' are lobbyists-extraordinaire. There's no need to fictionalize. Mississippi is a book that just keeps-on writing itself. The Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Ruin of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer: Curtis Wilkie: 9780307460714: Amazon.com: Books And while I may have chosen to walk in the Light, I have also chosen, on occasion, to lead bad people to believe that I am worse than are they. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143...d_i=0307460711

I know many of the stories of how so-and-so was pressured to kill himself. I know how the threats are delivered, more or less. Junior League ladies know. Every attorney knows. We know, in a general sense, why the Alderman drank antifreeze (he was threatened with something infinitely worse, most probably, by the gang of crooks who run the county). And when this happened, all the League Ladies, and all the attorneys, and all the big bidnismen knew pretty-much who threatened him, and what they had on him, and what they were threatening: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/us...ersy.html?_r=0 (hint: The City of Madison had nothin' ta do with it)

So, if a coach was organizing 'pressure' (physical violence) against our sons, to force them into the football program, I'd use a ploy or two. But, like I said: If we'd known then what we know now, we'd a' home-schooled.
Surely you realize that these kinds of things can happen in any organized activity. Sports, dance, scouts, model UN, debate team, church, temple... You didn't save them statutory rape or molestation simply by choosing other activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,157,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I was specifically adressing high school sports. Womens basketball and volleyball come to mind.
I was too. In my area, that's simply not done.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
That's unfortunate. While certainly there are some obnoxious parents, it's not everyone. Some of my closest friends are parents who I met on the sidelines of youth sports - more than 10 years ago. Our sons are all away at college now but the moms still get together.
I have enough friends. I relish the alone time I get during the kids' practice sessions.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
At my four high schools, the cheerleaders never cheered at anything other than football or boys' basketball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I was too. In my area, that's simply not done.
Then that is unfortunate, but certainly not the case everywhere.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I have enough friends. I relish the alone time I get during the kids' practice sessions.
Well that works out well then. I was under the impression that you avoided the others because of potential drama, not because you looked forward to some alone time.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,994 times
Quote:
Then that is unfortunate, but certainly not the case everywhere.
Of course, but we were stating that we wouldn't let our kids participate based on how it is where we live. I know people don't like to hear that things are regional, but cheerleading really is. The popularity of it greatly depends on where one is located, and where I live it's often a joke. Some high schools take it seriously, but not the majority (in my experience).

Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Of course, but we were stating that we wouldn't let our kids participate based on how it is where we live. I know people don't like to hear that things are regional, but cheerleading really is. The popularity of it greatly depends on where one is located, and where I live it's often a joke. Some high schools take it seriously, but not the majority (in my experience).
Well yes certainly you must make the decision based upon what is going on in your actual schools. My objection is only when posters paint the sport and it's participants with a broad - and frequently stereotypical - brush. I've certainly done my share of eyerolling when it comes to cheerleaing and cheerleaders over the years (beginning in high school), and my own daughter was uninterested. I do think in many places it has evolved to much more than some silly girls engaging in thoughtless sideline adulation while the boys are accomplishing something. I think that is often very unfair to many cheerleaders (not all of whom are female) who are strong and accomplished in their own right - and who happen to enjoy cheerleading. By doing that (stereotyping them) we are the ones guilty of defining them by only one activity they choose to be a part of.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-17-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 AM

6,439 posts, read 6,867,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If my daughter was set on being a cheerleader, I'd let her, but a couple of things about it concern me. First, it's very dangerous. Second, it's very expensive. Whether you're on a competitive squad or cheering for your school it costs many thousands of dollars every year.
Hmm... it's very dangerous, but it's not a sport (mixing comments from various posters)?

Yes I would let her. My wife wanted to be a cheerleader, and if it's good enough for her, it would be good enough for my daughter if that is what she wanted. (It isn't.)

$50K a year for any sport is insane.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Well that works out well then. I was under the impression that you avoided the others because of potential drama, not because you looked forward to some alone time.
I avoid other parents at practices for both reasons.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,175,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Husband-and-wife coaching team plead guilty to sex charges | Local News - WAPT Home

Jackson Jambalaya: Terry coach charged with sexual battery of a child.

Gee, I dunno... "Dirty little secret" seems about right. That is, until the secrets hit the headlines. They hit the headlines because somebody tells. Generally, people tell because they have agendas. I don't know about other localities, but in our old metro, something like this was in the news every couple of months. ("Coach Friendly", who'd let the Little League Football players spend the night at his house, when returning from an out-of-town game, for instance. A shrewd little friend of mine rushed over and made a low-ball offer on his house, the second the scandal broke. By 'rushed', I mean no time for shoes: print out the agreement, grab the checkbook, slide into the flipflops by the door, and go! It was a desirable property, in an area where there are few bargains. "I know you want to make this quick and discrete. And I'm here to help. I know you're gonna need cash for the lawyers.") And for every instance where the law/newspapers got involved, there were an indeterminate number of equally grave 'situations' which nobody blabbed.

As for the other: I come from a place where horrible things happen (Burned teen's mom recalls last words to daughter), and dirty deeds are commonplace (Infomercial features Pat Boone endorsing Gina Palasini). That's why 'Haley' and 'Trent' are lobbyists-extraordinaire. There's no need to fictionalize. Mississippi is a book that just keeps-on writing itself. The Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Ruin of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer: Curtis Wilkie: 9780307460714: Amazon.com: Books And while I may have chosen to walk in the Light, I have also chosen, on occasion, to lead bad people to believe that I am worse than are they. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143...d_i=0307460711

I know many of the stories of how so-and-so was pressured to kill himself. I know how the threats are delivered, more or less. Junior League ladies know. Every attorney knows. We know, in a general sense, why the Alderman drank antifreeze (he was threatened with something infinitely worse, most probably, by the gang of crooks who run the county). And when this happened, all the League Ladies, and all the attorneys, and all the big bidnismen knew pretty-much who threatened him, and what they had on him, and what they were threatening: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/us...ersy.html?_r=0 (hint: The City of Madison had nothin' ta do with it)

So, if a coach was organizing 'pressure' (physical violence) against our sons, to force them into the football program, I'd use a ploy or two. But, like I said: If we'd known then what we know now, we'd a' home-schooled.
Get help....seriously....get help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting