Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I don't even know where to begin with this.

Do you know why kids are so unruly today? Because they have absentee parents and are desperate for attention. Because they sit in front of a TV with programs that teach them to act disrespectfully. You think acting like a drill sergeant and whipping your kids is going to fix that?

You know what works? Spending time with your child. Showing them that they're valued. When they feel loved and secure and confident, it's reflected in their own actions. We treat our daughter with respect, and she treats others with respect. Amazing how that works.

Sure, she's had a few meltdowns in public. She's 3. But she's never known the back of my hand and never will, and amazingly, she doesn't tear through a store destroying everything in sight.
I DID spend time with my children. That's the point. Discipline wasn't metted out like a "Drill Sargent" but, it was PART of the learning process when and where appropriate. I didn't allow them to "camp out" in front of the TV. They had chores, study, etc...etc...you know, normal things. Nothing too arduous and they did make mistakes. Most of which were corrected by a simple conversation. Probably just like you.

But, if they acted up in public, we pretty much nipped it. After awhile, they didn't act up in public?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:34 AM

772 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Honestly, I've had it. Because of my job I go to the post office twice a week or more. The things I need to do cannot be done in the lobby or via a computer, as so most postal chores today can be.

I am never in any post office at any time of day that there aren't children causing an uproar. I have even tried going to neighborhoods where a preponderance of residents are retired and still there are little kids screaming and running around while the people responsible for them are standing in line staring at the ceiling, acting as if they don't know the tiny hooligans.

Most post offices are in buildings that exacerbate noise, so children's screams and shrieks bouncing off marble floors or cement block walls seem twice as loud as they seem outdoors. I have seen running children knock over elderly people. I've seen them slam doors on customers. I saw one running boy ram right into a wheelchair and obviously scare the person in it. Their parents/grandparents act as if nothing is happening.

Most post offices today sell greeting cards and mailing supplies in the lobby, Many people purposefully position their children in these areas and allow them to "play" with the items on display. Little kids pull out cards from the display racks and throw them on the floor, bend them, replace them in the wrong holders, etc. Those displays are always a mess and it's not the post office employees' fault. Often the cards are dirty or sticky. I like to buy cards at the PO not only because it's convenient but because I like to support this organization that does a job that could never be done so effectively by the private sector. The post office is unfairly treated by Congress, which requires it to fund its retirement program unlike any in corporate America, so I like to do my bit to make sure they get my greeting card purchases, too. But these poorly behaved children are ruining the PO's inventory.

Seriously, parents, grandparents, and nannies: PLEASE! Is it too much to ask that you control your children so U.S. post offices are not so loud and chaotic and government property is not being destroyed on a daily basis? No one likes to stand in line but your unwillingness to make your charges behave makes the experience far more unpleasant than it needs to be.
How many kids do you have ?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:55 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
How many kids do you have ?
Not relevant

Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
How about teenagers and adults that openly shout out foul profanities in front of children? What's worse?

Let's all mind our own businesses. I'm already stressed sometimes trying to shield my children from adults displaying acts of vulgarities in public.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:04 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How about teenagers and adults that openly shout out foul profanities in front of children? What's worse?
What do you imagine those adults were like as children? What sort of parenting do you think they had?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:40 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Honestly, I've had it. Because of my job I go to the post office twice a week or more. The things I need to do cannot be done in the lobby or via a computer, as so most postal chores today can be.

I am never in any post office at any time of day that there aren't children causing an uproar. I have even tried going to neighborhoods where a preponderance of residents are retired and still there are little kids screaming and running around while the people responsible for them are standing in line staring at the ceiling, acting as if they don't know the tiny hooligans.

Most post offices are in buildings that exacerbate noise, so children's screams and shrieks bouncing off marble floors or cement block walls seem twice as loud as they seem outdoors. I have seen running children knock over elderly people. I've seen them slam doors on customers. I saw one running boy ram right into a wheelchair and obviously scare the person in it. Their parents/grandparents act as if nothing is happening.

Most post offices today sell greeting cards and mailing supplies in the lobby, Many people purposefully position their children in these areas and allow them to "play" with the items on display. Little kids pull out cards from the display racks and throw them on the floor, bend them, replace them in the wrong holders, etc. Those displays are always a mess and it's not the post office employees' fault. Often the cards are dirty or sticky. I like to buy cards at the PO not only because it's convenient but because I like to support this organization that does a job that could never be done so effectively by the private sector. The post office is unfairly treated by Congress, which requires it to fund its retirement program unlike any in corporate America, so I like to do my bit to make sure they get my greeting card purchases, too. But these poorly behaved children are ruining the PO's inventory.

Seriously, parents, grandparents, and nannies: PLEASE! Is it too much to ask that you control your children so U.S. post offices are not so loud and chaotic and government property is not being destroyed on a daily basis? No one likes to stand in line but your unwillingness to make your charges behave makes the experience far more unpleasant than it needs to be.
How dare you offend these parents in todays socially liberal and politically correct society! Have you no heart, no empathy? These kids, unruly or not, or people too, with fragile little ego's who've yet to develop any self esteem or self worth, and will not be able to do so with people like you trying to go around and instill discipline in them. I am positive that once they get home, those parents gave them a big hug and put them in time out with their cell phones for at least 5 or 10 minutes, so just because you don't see the problem being addressed, doesn't mean it didn't happen. You should be more tolerant of these kids you grouchy old conservative. You must be an evil rich owner of a multi billion dollar corporation.

This is the new America, and like Oprah said, your kind will die off eventually.

SS

Old 02-24-2015, 02:58 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
How dare you offend these parents in todays socially liberal and politically correct society! Have you no heart, no empathy? These kids, unruly or not, or people too, with fragile little ego's who've yet to develop any self esteem or self worth, and will not be able to do so with people like you trying to go around and instill discipline in them. I am positive that once they get home, those parents gave them a big hug and put them in time out with their cell phones for at least 5 or 10 minutes, so just because you don't see the problem being addressed, doesn't mean it didn't happen. You should be more tolerant of these kids you grouchy old conservative. You must be an evil rich owner of a multi billion dollar corporation.

This is the new America, and like Oprah said, your kind will die off eventually.

SS
Kids will be kids, I don't blame them for trying to get away with whatever they can,
I do blame the parents who bring the kids with them then ignore them...in stores
they are usually on their cell phones and the kids run wild, if the kids are yelling or
screaming they just ignore it. I've seen kids tugging on their mothers saying "mama,
mama, mama" but mama keeps talking (loudly) on her phone, I'm sure it's something extremely
important...(As far as the post office, our area has such a small one that
I usually don't see kids in their much at all. So far, never have seen any kind of bad behavior.)

Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
... I AM a parent. But I don't beat my kids and there is no reason to do so. Oh wait, I'm supposed to slap my kids around so they are afraid of me just to satisfy people like you? I'm supposed to ignore everything I know about children and give in to primal urges and scream at my kids instead of teaching them how you are supposed to treat others just to get a quick result? I don't ****ing think so.
If you really don't know there are ways to teach children to behave other than slapping them around or screaming at them, I fear for the outcomes you will have as a parent.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
If you really don't know there are ways to teach children to behave other than slapping them around or screaming at them, I fear for the outcomes you will have as a parent.
That's not what she said

Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
I work in retail and have seen my share of bratty kids and annoying teenagers, once you see the parents it's mystery solved because they are trash too. It's hard to expect kids to know how to behave when mom has a neck tattoo and makes a mess out of every thing she touches in the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting