Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
This is what I thought too...all of us were childless at some point...so we do know what it is like to be childless
Childless is not quite the same as child free by choice.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, but I do remember being a young waitress, and being annoyed at the mess young kids made. Now I am a parent and I realize how difficult an unpredictable kids can be. Someone who has never had kids simply can't understand how difficult it can be, even when you try to do everything right.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes, but I do remember being a young waitress, and being annoyed at the mess young kids made. Now I am a parent and I realize how difficult an unpredictable kids can be. Someone who has never had kids simply can't understand how difficult it can be, even when you try to do everything right.
When my kids were in highchairs I tipped really big

Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I was childless for the better part of my 20s, having lived alone for a decade before having children and getting married.

I can honestly say I don't remember harboring such vitriol against parents, even as a young female singleton. Then again, I've been blessed with empathy and the ability to see things from other points of view. I understand crying children, tantrums, etc are unpleasant. But such is life. Into each life a little rain must fall and if your storm is a tantruming child in a store that you can ignore and not deal with, consider yourself lucky.
I didn't feel that way about parents, either, and I didn't have my daughter until I was 33. But I am the fourth of seven children, and I had younger brothers that I took care of and then parlayed that experience into being the babysitting queen in my neighborhood as a teenager. If some kid is screeching in a supermarket, well, so what. Tune them out and go about your business.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
Isn't this the third time you posted a variation on this theme today?
Probably a paid shill to up page views and interaction on CD.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 AM

634 posts, read 706,310 times
Quote:
The problem here is that no one can understand the other's viewpoint until they walk a mile in the other person's shoes.

Developing Empathy: Walk a mile in someone

Parents - think about the viewpoints of the child-free expressed here.
Child-free - think about the viewpoints of the parents (and children).

Perhaps if we all try, we can understand each other a bit more.
I understand what you are saying but the fact is, most parents have walked in the child-free shoes. Before we became parents we were all child free. I am not going to lie. Before I became a Mom, I did judge parents. I didn't hate on them like the OP , but I recall thinking "when I become a Mom, I would never do that". But since I've become a Mom, I don't judge at all. When I see parents out in public dealing with a child who is acting out, all I feel is sympathy and try to do or say something to help the parents out.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Some of you just don't get it.
Not just grabbing a bottle of polish while getting necessities. Try the mom who spent 30 minutes looking at makeup and trying out various colors of polish never noticing that her toddler sitting in the cart had managed to open a can of shave cream and was happily spraying it all over himself, including in his mouth.
Or the mom whose kid tugged on her for 10 minutes, with his, 'mommy, mommy, mommmmmy' routine, trying to get her attention while she was on her cell phone, until she decided he was too much of a nuisance and she smacked the tar out of him. Or the young kid who was running down the aisle with no parent in sight when she tripped over her own feet and face planted on the hard floor. Or the many occasions when kids pull shopping carts over while trying to climb in or out of them. Careless, self centered or uncaring parents who do not pay attention to their kids.
and this...? Yes, that's just silly, and it has what to do with kids?
Or the mom

Or the mom

Or the mom

NEVER see a mention of dear old dad. Wonder why?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I was child free by choice until I chose to be with child.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:05 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,419,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yet you never see the parent of a messy child get down on the floor to clean up their child's mess in a restaurant. Sure, they may be "unpredictable" but once the food is on the floor, you can pick it up so your server doesn't have to.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Yet you never see the parent of a messy child get down on the floor to clean up their child's mess in a restaurant. Sure, they may be "unpredictable" but once the food is on the floor, you can pick it up so your server doesn't have to.
We always pick up after ourselves. I'm a messy eater, even at my age. I make sure I clean up. I do know MOST people - children or not - do not clean up after themselves. The vilification of parents is getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.