Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times

Advertisements

He is only 16, but he has met this girl at the mall 3 times now, to take her to the movie.

He met her mom once at the mall, and we are just a little excited for him, since this is his real first girl friend!

So, the girl invited my son to go to the movies with her, her parents, the aunt, and the cousin.
Her parents said, no. My son is wondering if he did something wrong, or if they are just strict.

I told him we could invite her to go to dinner with us sometime, and see if her parents would allow that?

I may add that we are all new to this girlfriend business. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 01:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
He is only 16, but he has met this girl at the mall 3 times now, to take her to the movie.

He met her mom once at the mall, and we are just a little excited for him, since this is his real first girl friend!

So, the girl invited my son to go to the movies with her, her parents, the aunt, and the cousin.
Her parents said, no. My son is wondering if he did something wrong, or if they are just strict.

I told him we could invite her to go to dinner with us sometime, and see if her parents would allow that?

I may add that we are all new to this girlfriend business. lol
my first girl-friend couldn't car date til she was 17,
she was a sweet catholic girl ...

some parents are very very strict,,,,,its not your son..

unless your son is dressed out all goth with green hair and carries an axe

at 16 everything is a big deal,,,,if one girl says no ,,the whole species doesn't like you,,

Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
lol Thanks!!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:27 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
I don't see it as anything that your son did wrong or being strict or not, but maybe it was just a family outing and they wanted to keep it at that. There were plenty of events/activities we have done over the years where we did not invite high school boyfriends or girlfriends. It isn't a relationship that needs to be included in "family" events yet.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
With one of my sons, by the time I got the girl's name down, she would be out of the picture and another one would be coming through the door.

My other older son has only had a few dates, nothing serious.

Her parents may worry that it's moving too fast. Who knows? But good luck!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
The girl should have asked her parents before she asked her boyfriend. Thats cause enough to say no. I would tell your son not to worry

Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
I have a feeling it has nothing to do with your son. I bet the girl invited him without asking her parents first. If she had asked them first she may have found out that this trip was family only. But hey she's a kid too and you know they don't think at this age

Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I don't see it as anything that your son did wrong or being strict or not, but maybe it was just a family outing and they wanted to keep it at that. There were plenty of events/activities we have done over the years where we did not invite high school boyfriends or girlfriends. It isn't a relationship that needs to be included in "family" events yet.
I agree.

Heck, we never invited/included our teenage/young adult children's boyfriends or girlfriends to family events unless they had been dating for at least a year or more and there was the possibility of marriage in the future (even if the possibility was very, very slight).

I can't even imagine inviting a casual BF or GF to a family event such as the OP described after only a couple of dates. Now, friends , who may or may not be of the opposite sex were sometimes invited along, but just as friends not as "dates".

My nephew used to invite his current girlfriend to all family events, such as Christmas dinner, family picnics, weddings, baby showers. We must have met 25 to 30 women from the time that he was 18 until he married 15 years later. It just seemed pretty silly to the extended family to met women that he had only dated a couple of times or a few months.

I remember once when he brought a woman who had he dated only one time to a family picnic (with all his aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents/parents/siblings). It turned out that they only went out on one more date after that and then broke up. Why in the world did he feel it necessary to introduce her to the entire family?

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-28-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 06:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
My son has had girlfriends since he was 4 years old.

The girls parents are the issue in this situation, I think. Way too strict at 16.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

Heck, we never invited/included our teenage/young adult children's boyfriends or girlfriends to family events unless they had been dating for at least a year or more and there was the possibility of marriage in the future (even if the possibility was very, very slight).

I can't even imagine inviting a casual BF or GF to a family event such as the OP described after only a couple of dates. Now, friends , who may or may not be of the opposite sex were sometimes invited along, but just as friends not as "dates".

My nephew used to invite his current girlfriend to all family events, such as Christmas dinner, family picnics, weddings, baby showers. We must have met 25 to 30 women from the time that he was 18 until he married 15 years later. It just seemed pretty silly to the extended family to met women that he had only dated a couple of times or a few months.

I remember once when he brought a woman who had he dated only one time to a family picnic (with all his aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents/parents/siblings). It turned out that they only went out on one more date after that and then broke up. Why in the world did he feel it necessary to introduce her to the entire family?
I wanted to add to my post. I am just an aunt, who lives in another town and only sees my nephew a few times a year and I must have met 25 to 30 women that he dated. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents met double or triple that number. He (mostly) lived at home until he got married so he always brought his dates back home for family meals and family activities. Ironically, his sisters only brought home a couple of very, very serious boyfriends (potential husbands) during their dating years.

OP, do you really want to met the parents of every girl that your son dates? Are you really surprised that the parents, aunt and cousin of a girl that he dated only three times did not want to include him on a family outing?

Of course, that is just my opinion.

OP, maybe your son will only have a few girlfriends or maybe he will be the type that changes girlfriends as often as he changes his underwear. At age 16 you can not predict the future.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-28-2015 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting