Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:16 AM

63 posts, read 81,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The father could have called 911, walked outside, told the bully cops were on their way, and tell his son to go inside.
So while he waits for the police, his son is being beaten up badly. (Because he can't touch the bully because he is only a teenager and the father is forty. What is wrong with this picture.

FYI: He finally got out on bail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Just what we need to do--encourage more "Jerry Springer parents."

Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM

772 posts, read 913,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
The father was about forty and the bully was 15. The kid who was being beaten up was about 11. The father who is in jail was about 200 pounds of all muscle, the bully about 140 and in relatively good shape. The 11 year old kid was maybe 110 pounds.

The law says the father had to let the bully keep beating up his son until the police arrived. Is this right?

that is not the law. Knock it off. You can restrain the "child" from hitting the other child. You can make a "citizens arrest"

the same way , when two kids fight in middle school or high school, and the teacher will hold one or both kids from hitting each other, is the same thing the father should have done. not full blown throw uppercuts at a 15 year old.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Come on now, you can restrain someone without beating them up. Esp with the huge difference in size, age and strength. THAT is why he was arrested, because he got pissed and beat the kid up instead of acting like an adult, either breaking up the fight or if that didn't work, restraining the other child.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wow all you people saying as an adult you would beat on a kid...wow...such a sad way to be as a human being.
When you are much larger, older, and stronger than the child you are beating up, you are not a 'KID', you are a punk and a criminal.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
A neighbor of mine is in jail waiting trial for beating up the kid who beat up his son. The whole thing happened in front of his house. He looked out his window and saw his son being beaten up by a neighborhood bully twice his size. The father ran out of the house and grabbed the bully and started to push him away. But the bully started punching our neighbor and he punched back. Eventually the bully ran away. An hour later the police arrived and arrested the father. Nothing has happened to the teenage bully who was beating up the man's son.

The neighbor (father) was relatively gentle with the neighborhood bully but did punch him when the bully punched the father.

What would you do in this situation? You could call the police but by the time they came his son would have been a bloody mess.
A lot of responses have exaggerated the original description of events. I don't think anybody would advocate for a parent to do more than necessary to defend his child, and himself. I also don't think doing so should result in an arrest.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,418 times
He might have thought ahead and taught his son how to fight/spar/karate...just in case he ever needed to.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:41 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
The father was about forty and the bully was 15. The kid who was being beaten up was about 11. The father who is in jail was about 200 pounds of all muscle, the bully about 140 and in relatively good shape. The 11 year old kid was maybe 110 pounds.

The law says the father had to let the bully keep beating up his son until the police arrived. Is this right?
The father was, rightfully in my view, arrested. It's one thing to save your child from a beat down, but its another thing to actually fight a 15 year old who you're significantly stronger and bigger than. Now, I am upset that the teen had nothing happen to him (then again, who knows, maybe he will eventually be arrested/charged) as he was committing a crime (based on your story). That 15 year old sounds like trouble, and trouble that will only increase as he ages. Still, the father wasn't any better in this moment; in fact, he was a lot worse.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:56 PM

63 posts, read 81,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
When you are much larger, older, and stronger than the child you are beating up, you are not a 'KID', you are a punk and a criminal.
The father did not beat up the bully, he just fought back when the bully starting attacking him after beating his son to a pulp.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM

465 posts, read 613,369 times
I'm not reading this that the father "attacked" the other kid. That other kid hit the father. He pushed the other kid AWAY from his child to stop it and then that kid HIT him. I'm guessing his first reaction was to strike back. I think at that point adrenaline and anger are pretty high. I think if you are going to assault someone you are half responsible for anything that results from it. I don't care that he's 15. Hes old enough to understand beating up on an 11 year old is wrong. If my son was 15 and beat up an 11 year old and that father punched my kid during the assault. I would tell my son he deserved it. Don't touch another person first. I don't think this is a case of vigilantism. Now if the father later that day went and punched the kid then yes absolutely that would be assault. I think at this point it was self preservation, and him trying to defend his son during an attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting