Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I also truly think Samoas have cocaine in them-----------I'm addicted.
(Samoas: It's what's for dinner)
So that's it !!
I knew it wasn't just my lack of self control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Replace "girl scout" with "cub/boy scout" and "cookies" with "popcorn" and it's all the same. Boys can do more than sell popcorn. The popcorn isn't healthy. The parents are the ones selling it.

Still want to rant?

The cookies and popcorn help the organization run so that the kids can participate in the activities and teaching provided by the scouts.

If you don't want the cookies/popcorn, don't buy them. And then don't sign up your own kids (if you have them) to participate in the same groups.
As a former Boy Scout and someone who had parents active in district, the problem with boy scout popcorn (and I imagine girl scout cookies too) it mostly goes to national and not the individual troops. Events like a pancake breakfast, train show and wreath sales go directly to the troops and packs. I agree, it is annoying and not so healthy BUT the other side is they support the programs. If your community has a troop that does wreath sale or pancake breakfast, buy and go to it or just donate to the cause, the boy and girl scout programs help form and shape young kids.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
True that! Trefoils (also known as "Shortbreads" in some areas) used to be lighter, more of a buttery flavor, and had a sprinkle of sugar crystals on top. They were delicious. Today's Shortbreads are okay...I eat them with coffee, but they're not gobble-em-up good the way they used to be.

Do-Si-Dos, (also known as "Peanut Butter Sandwiches") are also not as good; the cookie part used to resemble an oatmeal cookie.

I don't see any difference between old & new Thin Mints, Samoas/Caramel Delites, or the Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Paddies.

My favorite is now the Thanks-a-Lots - shortbread with fudge on one side, with "thank you" imprinted on it in one of five different languages.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
This thread reminds me of a story some years ago where two women stole an envelope full of money from a 9 year old girl scout. Here's a video of a reporter talking to one of the thieve's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLBCbNIDbI

Those women are total sociopaths!
Happened again last weekend.

Man accused of forcibly taking cash box from 10-year-old Girl Scout in San Jose | abc7news.com

Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As a former Boy Scout and someone who had parents active in district, the problem with boy scout popcorn (and I imagine girl scout cookies too) it mostly goes to national and not the individual troops. Events like a pancake breakfast, train show and wreath sales go directly to the troops and packs. I agree, it is annoying and not so healthy BUT the other side is they support the programs. If your community has a troop that does wreath sale or pancake breakfast, buy and go to it or just donate to the cause, the boy and girl scout programs help form and shape young kids.
Nope, NONE of the girl scout cookie money goes to national at all. It goes to the local council and the troop. More goes to council than to the troop, but to be fair, that is the main source of money for council and they have a lot more expenses than troops do. I don't know about the boyscout money because I have never had a boyscout (and won't ever anyway).

Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM

480 posts, read 668,453 times
Quote:
Nope, NONE of the girl scout cookie money goes to national at all. It goes to the local council and the troop. More goes to council than to the troop, but to be fair, that is the main source of money for council and they have a lot more expenses than troops do. I don't know about the boyscout money because I have never had a boyscout (and won't ever anyway).
No, this is incorrect. The bakers have to pay a licensing fee in order to sell boxes under the girl scouts name. The girl scouts website doesn't say what the licensing fee is per box, but essentially a portion of the cookie revenue is funnelled back to the national council in a roundabout way.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
No, this is incorrect. The bakers have to pay a licensing fee in order to sell boxes under the girl scouts name. The girl scouts website doesn't say what the licensing fee is per box, but essentially a portion of the cookie revenue is funnelled back to the national council in a roundabout way.
Yes, they do get a royalty from the bakers. I forgot about that.

Girl Scouts of the USA is paid a royalty by its licensed bakers for use of Girl Scout trademarks based on gross annual sales. Girl Scout councils do not provide any portion of their cookie revenue to Girl Scouts of the USA, and no other revenue from cookie sales goes to Girl Scouts of the USA.

But, 100% of the net revenue stays with the council and the troop.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I know enough that their current model is no longer fully effective like it should be. Otherwise the price increases wouldn't be necessary.
Hell's bells! I guess no product's "current model" is fully effective then; otherwise, a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese would still be 5 for $1.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I think it's crazy that they pick the coldest season of the year to have these babies out there selling those daggone cookies.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I really hate girl scout cookies.

I think that young girls can do so much more than sell cookies. And while I understand there is more to girl scouts than cookie sales, about the only time that I hear about girl scouts is during cookie sale time (right now).

The cookies are overpriced and you don't get a lot of them. And they aren't healthy - the serving size for thin mints really should be "one tube" rather than "3 cookies" or whatever it says on the box.

But my biggest rant are when the parents are the ones pushing the cookie sales rather than the kids. Some of my facebook friends have changed their timeline picture to something advertising cookie sales. It's clear to me that the cookie sales are all about this particular girl's parents rather than the girl herself. Technically, they have her make the sales but the parents do all of the advertising and lining up of "customers" so they can make sure her daughter is successful.

End rant.
Some parents put stuff like that on Facebook because some parents just do stuff like that now for everything their kids are selling. It doesn't mean all parents sell their daughters' Girl Scout cookies. It just means the parents want people to realize that their daughters are selling the cookies so they won't buy them from someone else. You wouldn't believe how many people will ask when the kids are going to start selling the cookies. They're so popular they practically sell themselves.

If you don't like the cookies, don't buy them. When my daughter was in Girl Scouts, the girls got together and went door to door in the neighborhoods, and parents would take the order form to work, plus we had to have booths at grocery stores after the door-to-door sales ended (at least two adult parents were required by the rules to be there at the booth). It's a major fundraiser for the troop. It pays for practically everything they do. We would have people donate cash to the troop if they didn't want to buy the cookies. We also usually had a basket set aside for people to buy cookies that we would then send to troops in Iraq as a service project. One of the girl's older brother was in Iraq at the time and he and his buddies LOVED the cookies. They didn't even care if they got melted in transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting