Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 12:33 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Why is it awesome?

I know someone who turns 34 this year and never had a boyfriend. Her parents thought it was awesome as well that she didn't date in her early 20s. But dating and relationship is something one learns, just like anything else in life.

"better things to do" is code word for "insecure". You can take my word to the bank on that one.
Why can't it be that they aren't interesting in dating and relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 01:10 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I didn't really date until my early 30's. Too busy with work doing 60+ hr weeks. I hung around with women, and had female friends, but never a serious long term relationship. There were periods when I genuinely enjoyed being single too. I was saving money, paid off all my debt, could do what I wanted, buy what a wanted, meanwhile all my friends were off getting married and having kids and complaining about bills and not being able to do what they wanted on the weekends.

Early 30's, I had had enough. By age 35 I was married with two kids and a house and happy as a clam in the sea. I'd say it worked out for me.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
I have a grandson who is 22, has never been on a date.

He works full time to completely pay this way through college.

Pay's for his car and insurance and all clothing and personal items. Also offers to pick up and pay for grocery items I need between my shopping days, and helps out in the care of his paralyzed cousin who also lives with us.

He has seen almost all his friends get married, have a baby and had to drop out of college to support them even though the wives also have to work.

I am very proud of my very wise grandson. He lives with us because there is no way he can afford his own place.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
It's his normal . Doesn't sound like a warning of anything . he is not hating them or being abusive or disrespectful. So let him choose when or if he is ready to explore a relationship.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDallas View Post
My 17 year old stepson has zero interest in girls!!! Is this for real??? The other day I offered to lend him my car and pay for Six Flags for he and any girl who met his fancy. "Gee thanks Dad, but I'm not really interested in dating..." O !!! I almost passed out!

I have never met a straight (I'm pretty clear that he's straight) high school boy who had zero interest in girls. How normal is this?

I was a jock throughout childhood, high school and college and probably ran with guys who were a little more into girls than most boys are, but zero interest???

Should I be concerned? Kids like this don't turn out to be pedophiles or something, right? How prevalent is this?
Would it be a problem for you if he fancied boys? Serious question. Or if he was asexual?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:30 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
One of our sons had no interest until he went to college where he met and dated his future wife.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sorry but that's an odd offer. He's 17. Back off. He is not "you.2".
Yep. It's the male equivalent of the mom who can't believe that her quiet, nerdy daughter doesn't want to be a popular cheerleader like she was.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,801 times
You could be of an asexual orientation, a rare orientation estimated to occur in less than 1% of the population, but you should see a doctor to run a few hormonal tests to rule out other causes.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yep. It's the male equivalent of the mom who can't believe that her quiet, nerdy daughter doesn't want to be a popular cheerleader like she was.
Exactly.

Quit romanticizing your youth and support your child in living theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting