Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 17,557 times

Advertisements

Mom of 3 adult daughters now, and they do chatter alot at this age. Then you get to pre-teen, teens and they don't want to talk. Then after college, they talk again. I loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My son was a chatter box and then some at 7. He is now 9 and is totally able to have a give and take conversation. And his verbal skills are off the charts. He still lags a bit in listening skills, but not so far it's a worry.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
Here's an interesting article

The chatty child - Today's Parent

Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM

251 posts, read 274,072 times
I'm in this club as well, my eldest 8 son-still is like this and starts the worrying train. Example- as we are in the car driving home from school. "What will happen if this car has a gas leak while we are driving? Do you think it would explode, what if?? and then what?" It's exhausting! For now my almost 3yr old daughter sounds so cute talking she is just as vocal if not more. Enjoy

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Its a phase...another year or two and you are in the clear
Or she could end up being a very successful politician

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
This is quite normal, but if you want the interrupting to stop, try this:

Teach Your Child not to Interrupt in One Simple Step

You may have to start by placing her hand on your wrist and only waiting a short time to respond. Then up the amount of time and see if she begins to get that she can *interrupt* without talking.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
My firstborn, who is now forty-two, was a Chatty Cathy. It might be personality, it may be because from the moment she was born I talked to her while I was working around the house, showed her things, told her the names of them and described what I was doing with them. I wanted to fill her up with vocabulary.

Her younger brother, of course, hardly got a word in edgewise and is much more quiet. Or as someone else mentioned there seems to be a difference between the sexes in this inclination. Maybe it's just the way he is inclined.

She was well-adjusted in school and got good grades but I don't think a single teacher ever failed to mention that she was quite a social butterfly. It wasn't presented as a complaint but often sounded like it may have been a challenge to keep her focused.

I like what others have said here about making sure that she understands the rules of polite communication. That will serve her well.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianosaur View Post
I'm the typical man of not as many words as a woman. I joke that men use 7000 words a day, woman 20,000 words
You've never been to Colombia (South America). The men are equally as chatty as the women. Actually this basically true for much of Latin America.
Quote:
Does anyone else have a DD that does this? Is it a gender thing?
Brain chemistry and genetics. Slightly different from one person to the next.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Someone else may have posted this...and it doesn't get at your issue, but on average, women do NOT talk more than men:

Gender Jabber: Do Women Talk More than Men?
In a word: No. But then, how did the rumor get started?
July 6, 2007 |By Nikhil Swaminathan

About a year ago, Louann Brizendine, founder and director of the University of California, San Francisco's Women's Mood and Hormone Clinic, published The Female Brain. One of the most cited gems within its pages was a claim that women are chatterboxes, speaking an average of 20,000 words per day, nearly three times the mere 7,000 spoken by men.
Seemed to make sense, given the rep of women as purveyors of gossip, not to mention creatures incapable of keeping their traps shut. Right? Wrong.

A new study published today in Science reports men and woman actually use roughly the same number of words daily.

James Pennebaker, chair of the University of Texas at Austin's psychology department, says he was skeptical of the lopsided stats when he saw them quoted in an interview with Brizendine in The New York Times Magazine. "I read that and I knew it couldn't be true simply because we've run too many studies," he says, "it just didn't make sense." In fact, he had been collecting data over the past decade with colleagues at the University of Arizona in Tucson that specifically showed that the sexes are about equal when it comes to a war of words.

After working with posttraumatic stress disorder patients for years, Pennebaker had noticed a deficiency in people's self-reporting of their experiences. So, he devised "a measure that would capture people's real life," he says. His device, called EAR (for electronically activated recorder) is a digital recorder that subjects can store in a sheath similar to a case for glasses in their purses or pockets. The EAR samples 30 seconds of ambient noise (including conversations) every 12.5 minutes; carriers cannot tamper with recordings.

Researchers used this device to collect data on the chatter patterns of 396 university students (210 women and 186 men) at colleges in Texas, Arizona and Mexico. They estimated the total number of words that each volunteer spoke daily, assuming they were awake 17 of 24 hours. In most of the samples, the average number of words spoken by men and women were about the same. Men showed a slightly wider variability in words uttered, and boasted both the most economical speaker (roughly 500 words daily) and the most verbose yapping at a whopping 47,000 words a day. But in the end, the sexes came out just about even in the daily averages: women at 16,215 words and men at 15,669. In terms of statistical significance, Pennebaker says, "It's not even remotely close to different." He does point out that women tend to jaw more about other people, whereas men are apt to hold forth on more concrete objects—so the stereotypes of ladies as gossips and guys engaging in car talk can live on.

As far as the myth of women being more chatty than men, Pennebaker thanks Brizendine for bringing it to his attention. As for the legend's origins, University of Pennsylvania linguistics professor Mark Liberman speculated in a blog last year: "My current best guess is that a marriage counselor invented this particular meme about 15 years ago, as a sort of parable for couples with certain communication problems, and others have picked it up and spread it, while modulating the numbers to suit their tastes."

Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
On a trip from PA one time, we paid our youngest daughter a nickel a mile to not talk. She was 5 or so at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting