Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times

Advertisements

I'm sure plenty of dads would love to stay home and not work at an office or wherever else. My wife commutes 3 hours round trip a day and since I work from home I have done every task a mom would do except cook an extensive meal. I also take them to all their sporting events, and even coach some. From my perspective, I get to see their young life while my wife sadly does not. I love it. And I certainly love not having to get ready for work in the mornings.

With that said, many school events during the day are still attended only by moms. I'm frequently the only dad or maybe one of two or three. I know for a fact some of the moms work too but perhaps they can take off easier given their chosen profession.

And you answered your own question when you mentioned your dad is 80.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-12-2015 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Well, "this guy" would say it's not chauvinist or some kind of hang-up to believe a man should support his family. Is it not common sense? If a woman marries you and gives you children, you should do whatever it takes to provide for them.
Which includes staying home with the children if your wife has worked harder, earned smarter, and has a higher income than you. That IS providing for your children. I feel for children whose fathers don't value providing for them in ways other than financial.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No, you don't seem to understand. It is about having choices now. I know many, many women who stay home while their husband's work long hours. For many, it is a perfectly acceptable option, and no one is telling them it isn't. It is people like you telling us working moms that our way is unacceptable, and that we shouldn't have any choice but to bow to our husband and be dependent on him for everything. No thanks.

My husband and I are partners. We both earn money, we both take care of the kids, and we both take care of the house, and we're quite happy this way. (and we don't give a rat's a$$ what people like you and the self proclaimed chauvinist up thread think)
No, I understand perfectly. You might as well if you read what I actually said instead of misrepresenting it. No one suggested you should "bow to your husband". I wonder how you might feel though if your husband said he was going to let you work 2 or 3 jobs because he wants to be a SAHD. Would he be wrong to expect that of you? I guess not right, because you're liberated, you're both equal.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Which includes staying home with the children if your wife has worked harder, earned smarter, and has a higher income than you. That IS providing for your children. I feel for children whose fathers don't value providing for them in ways other than financial.
No, that's allowing a woman to provide for you and your children. I think that's an unacceptable choice for a man.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM

172 posts, read 180,855 times
Quote:
Well, "this guy" would say it's not chauvinist or some kind of hang-up to believe a man should support his family. Is it not common sense? If a woman marries you and gives you children, you should do whatever it takes to provide for them.
SAHD do provide for their families, it is just in the form of value rather than money.

I applaud SAHD, it is not an easy path for a lot of men. It isn't common in my area at all so it isn't something that is looked on favorably. I do have to say that there is difference (to me) between a family that pointedly decides the dad should stay home because it is the best for the kids and a family where it is a default decision because the dad is unemployed, doesn't make as much money as mom. In the latter situations the dad could be resentful because his wife is providing and he feels emasculated or his focus is on trying to find a job rather than the kids.

In the couple of families I know in default SAH situations, the dads also don't embrace the traditional caregiver/house keeper roles. They basically keep the kids alive (while they chase after jobs because they really don't want to be a SAHD) and the moms come home after working and do all the night time childcare, homework, cooking, and cleaning. The dad is miserable, the kids don't have a present parent during the day, and the mom is exhausted. These families would be better off with two working parents.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I'm sure plenty of dads would love to stay home and not work at an office or wherever else. My wife commutes 3 hours round trip a day and since I work from home I have done every task a mom would do except cook an extensive meal. I also take them to all their sporting events, and even coach some. From my perspective, I get to see their young life while my wife sadly does not. I love it. And I certainly love not having to get ready for work in the mornings.

With that said, many school events during the day are still attended only by moms. I'm frequently the only dad or maybe one of two or three. I know for a fact some of the moms work too but perhaps they can take off easier given their chosen profession.

And you answered your own question when you mentioned your dad is 80.
Another good case in point. I wonder how mom feels about missing out on her children's lives. Might she be happier if Dad accepted the responsibility of providing for the family so that she could enjoy these things? Doesn't a mother deserve that?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Another good case in point. I wonder how mom feels about missing out on her children's lives. Might she be happier if Dad accepted the responsibility of providing for the family so that she could enjoy these things? Doesn't a mother deserve that?
Doesn't a father have a responsibility to parent his children?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 AM

172 posts, read 180,855 times
Quote:
That can swing both ways. I have mom friends who are fine with working and don't feel as if they miss out on their children's lives. I have dad friends who do feel as if they miss out because they work. That is a person thing, not a gender thing.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
No, that's allowing a woman to provide for you and your children. I think that's an unacceptable choice for a man.
Then why is it acceptable for women? Women are not children who can't provide for themselves.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Wow. Why should he have to miss out on his children's lives? And why do you feel it's even remotely appropriate to make this kind of comment to him?

By the way, if you re-read his post, you'll see he does work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting