Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times

Advertisements

my daughter is 9 , her all friends got phones not simple ones blackberries and Iphones. But mine got nothing. I don't see a reason to have one I drop her to school and pick her from school. And school has all contact numbers as well emergency numbers. So that is it. Some mothers tried to convince me to give one. NOPE she my child and I don't want her to pop in to things not need yet. Fortunately Ipads are not here at schools yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why do you have to negotiate with an 8 y.o. or convince her? She's old enough to be given an explanation of why she's not getting one and tell her that it's your choice as a parent to make that decision. Remember, someone has to be the grownup in the relationship, and by default that should be you.
You mustn't have read my question correctly. I'm against it, I actually think it's ridiculous. I was asking if anyone could convince me otherwise. Maybe I was wrong thinking it was a terrible idea. Possibly too old school minded to realize that this want a bad idea and someone would show me some studies to suggest kids with smart phones have potential to be smarter than they would be without them as they may look up a lot of stuff on the internet, who knows.

Obviously it's far fetched, and would take a lot to change my mind on the topic. Especially now with all the responses I received that agree with my standpoint. Multiple people were spot on. She wants an I phone, not a prepaid flip dummy phone.

As for me breaking the news to her about it. I will just say nope and that'll be the end of it. I don't have to convince her of anything.

I have my intuition as a parent and I always do what's in my child's best interest irrespective of what she may want. But I'm no dummy, I will ask opinions on certain topics to make sure I'm not making the wrong decision without realizing it.

Thank you all for your responses!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Mine is a bit older than yours, and yes I bought him a cellphone. Most companies have good parent control for phones these days.... I have Verizon and it's great. I can block numbers and limit texts.. they have free filters so no naughtiness is accessible that they shouldn't be looking at. AND GPS tracking so you always know where your kid is.

Here's a link to others who have parent controls if you aren't with Verizon too. » 11 Mobile Parental Controls from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile

OH- by the way, most public schools are also giving the kids free iPads to use at school and home. Even Elementary kids have them now. Mine has a free iPad from school and can go online/use email anytime they want. There are controls on there also, but it's about the same thing as having a cell phone. Especially if you can block texts/limit calls. Doesn't yours have one yet?

My child does have an ipad. And all she does is watch YouTube dance videos, play games, and facetime her friends (when she's home and we can hear the conversations). It requires Wi-Fi. I think that's enough as it is.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampzx View Post
My child does have an ipad. And all she does is watch YouTube dance videos, play games, and facetime her friends (when she's home and we can hear the conversations). It requires Wi-Fi. I think that's enough as it is.

Great. So, honestly, why are you asking here? If you've already decided what you want to do, do it. No need to ask for reassurance if you already know what you want to do about the situation.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
I was having this same conversation at the dance studio my daughter attends yesterday. Some moms said their daughters friend's have cell phones at 7 and 8 years old. I don't think it's necessary unless of severe health or safety concerns. Even then I'm not convinced because at 7 and 8 years old my daughter is always around another adult.

We didn't have cell phones when we were that young. Now I have a 14 year old daughter that has a cell phone and she didn't get one until almost 13 years old.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post

Great. So, honestly, why are you asking here? If you've already decided what you want to do, do it. No need to ask for reassurance if you already know what you want to do about the situation.
No She is talking about an Iphone to go to school.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
No She is talking about an Iphone to go to school.
I know what she is talking about. She says she doesn't think her kid needs a phone. Okay - then don't give your kid a phone. Simple as that. Why do you need other people to confirm and say "yeah, you're right" etc? DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST FOR YOUR CHILD. No reason to start a thread over it if you're not looking for additional input or another perspective.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 AM

948 posts, read 920,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampzx View Post
Maybe I was wrong thinking it was a terrible idea. Possibly too old school minded to realize that this want a bad idea and someone would show me some studies to suggest kids with smart phones have potential to be smarter than they would be without them as they may look up a lot of stuff on the internet, who knows.
I haven't heard of any studies like that. However, I have heard of several studies that show the opposite, that cell phones hurt academics, and the more time kids spend in them the lower their GPA. They're too much of a distraction, especially if the child can carry them around everywhere. Smartphones are even worse than dumb phones, because they're far more addictive. Your instincts are correct that giving her a phone is a bad idea.

My daughter wanted one at age 6 too, because a 7 year old friend had one. We said no, and told her they were unhealthy and addictive. Last Christmas she wanted a tablet. We said no to that, even though similar aged cousins had them.

However, I did think about getting her a computer. With a computer, she could at least learn typing and programming and other valuable computer skills; there are some good educational software programs, and it would be easier to limit her time on it so she doesn't get too addicted. I wouldn't get her a tablet or smartphone though.

Smartphones can be carried around everywhere, as a constant distraction and temptation. My daughter was very annoyed when we went to the zoo with some of my daughter's friends and one of them kept getting her smartphone out of her backpack to play games. This was a 1st grader! Her mom was so embarrassed! (But she seemed to be used to it.) If you want your daughter to learn things off the Internet, get her a computer.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
My daughter is 8, almost 9, and does not have a phone. She has never asked for a phone, and I'm not aware of any of her friends having phones either. I don't see any need for her to have a phone at this age. Maybe when she goes to middle school.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
"people in he** want ice water" as an old friend used to say. It doesn't do kids any favors to just buy them whatever they want. It will be apparent when she "needs" one because you will find yourself needing to get in touch with her more and more because she's out of your sight more often. Just now I find myself wishing I could call my 11 year old because after school plans changed or because we let him go to the park alone sometimes. I'm not going to get him a phone to be a toy. It's going to be so I can call him. (and, yes, "all" his friends have one, too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting