Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,719 times

Advertisements

Supposedly "all" her friends have one. Can anyone here convince me that this isn't a bad idea? I'm not going for it. Am I just old school and not adapting with the times or is an 8 year old with a cell phone as ridiculous as I think it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
If all his/her friends jumped off a cliff, should she?

No!

Unless there is a compelling reason, 8 year olds do NOT need cell phones

Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampzx View Post
Supposedly "all" her friends have one. Can anyone here convince me that this isn't a bad idea? I'm not going for it. Am I just old school and not adapting with the times or is an 8 year old with a cell phone as ridiculous as I think it is?

Who cares what her friends have, she is your child, be her parent and do what you think is best.
Our kids got pagers back before cell phones when they had a job and could afford to pay for them.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:45 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
What do you think she'll use it for?

If she's going to be taking photos and videos for blogging, downloading, installing, and maybe thinking about developing apps, then go for it. It could be a good first tool for introduction into the combined world of tech media.

If she's just going to be chatting and texting her friends, then maybe wait.

Better yet, you could learn about how cell phones and tablets can be used as tools, and then go over it with her. Also learn parental controls. Buy it, lock/limit it, teach the basics, and then let her run with it.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Kids get phones at younger ages these days, its just the way it is. It doesn't have to be a smart phone. Something like 90% of 7 year olds have mobile phones in my country, its a good way to contact parents if school closes early for some reason or they want to go round a friend's house to play after school instead of coming straight home. Things like that. I'll be getting my kid a phone when she starts school for sure.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
ehh

an 8 yr old doesnt need a phone

the reasoning is the standard "because my friends have one"

im guessing she wouldnt accept a dumb phone...it would have to be an iphone or android that is 5x bigger than her lil hands with full internet access

if a phone was really about "emergency" a dumb phone would suffice

Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampzx View Post
Why do you have to negotiate with an 8 y.o. or convince her? She's old enough to be given an explanation of why she's not getting one and tell her that it's your choice as a parent to make that decision. Remember, someone has to be the grownup in the relationship, and by default that should be you.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
ehh

an 8 yr old doesnt need a phone

the reasoning is the standard "because my friends have one"

im guessing she wouldnt accept a dumb phone...it would have to be an iphone or android that is 5x bigger than her lil hands with full internet access

if a phone was really about "emergency" a dumb phone would suffice
Is your 8 year old ever in a situation where they are not supervised by an adult?

Such as walking to school completely by themselves?

Staying home alone, without a babysitterr or a house phone?

Driving down deserted country roads, alone? (obviously not)

I really, really doubt if your child needs a phone for emergencies. If they do, than a simple "dumb" phone will be OK.

I bet that they want internet access to be able to play games, watch utube videos, surf the web, send photographs & videos to friends, and text friends during school and after you go to sleep. Do they really need to do that? Do you really want them to do that?

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-16-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
Mine is a bit older than yours, and yes I bought him a cellphone. Most companies have good parent control for phones these days.... I have Verizon and it's great. I can block numbers and limit texts.. they have free filters so no naughtiness is accessible that they shouldn't be looking at. AND GPS tracking so you always know where your kid is.

Here's a link to others who have parent controls if you aren't with Verizon too. » 11 Mobile Parental Controls from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile

OH- by the way, most public schools are also giving the kids free iPads to use at school and home. Even Elementary kids have them now. Mine has a free iPad from school and can go online/use email anytime they want. There are controls on there also, but it's about the same thing as having a cell phone. Especially if you can block texts/limit calls. Doesn't yours have one yet?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
The bottom line:

YOU are the parent, you know and understand your child's needs (vs. wants) so YOU make the decision that is best for your family. It does not matter if "every other child in their class" has it/does it, you decide for your child.

My daughter pulled the "everyone else has one" ploy when she was about that age. I called her bluff and asked for actual names. It turned out that (whatever it was) only one other child, in her class of 30, had/did what she said "everyone" had/did. She never used that ploy again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting