U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM

690 posts, read 2,354,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
How about when people tell you that you couldn't possibly understand because you only have 1!
Or, another favorite of mine, "You have NO idea how easy you have it, just having one child. Try (insert favorite number here)!"

Please. Having one child isn't "easy", just as I'm sure having 2 or 3 isn't, either. Walk a mile in my shoes, huh?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,286,927 times
Yep...thats another good one.....and now that my daughter is 14 and my son is 5 people still say I only REALLY have 1 - grr that bugs me too...like suddenly a teenager doesn't count........good grief!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM

Are you kidding?! Mine's almost 13 and harder to deal with now than she ever was! Sheesh!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM

894 posts, read 3,891,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, the caveat in this story is this...he was killed in an automobile accident when he was 16.
Wow, I cannot even imagine how you go on.

(((hugs)))

Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM

371 posts, read 1,784,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
We only had one child. I was happy with that situation though it was not really by "our choice." Our son was outgoing, well-adjusted etc. and if it bothered him to not have siblings, he never mentioned it. He was a glorious child. I never felt any lack in just having him.

Ok, the caveat in this story is this...he was killed in an automobile accident when he was 16. One child was acceptable to me and my husband. "NO" child is not. Now I know that thankfully this doesn't happen to most people, and I well know that one child can't replace another, but...it is something to think about when making choices.
Oh Kay Kay - I can't even imagine anything more painful in this world to endure. I am sooooo sorry, but there are no words, just prayers and you are in my mine.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Wanted only one and have only one. I think it pathetic if people prejudge him or the situation. They should get a life. Nobody has children to please others.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,133,194 times
Red face I am an only child

If I may I would like to offer my experience as an only child. As I grew up I never felt that I was missing out by being an only child. I never felt loneny and had a full and interesting life. When I became I treenager a was often wondering how life would have been with a brother or sister but I was sorrounded by friends and that was enough. My parents were never overprotective and gave me the freedom I needed to experience life.
As a young adult I fell in love with a person living in another country and knew that if I married him I would move abroad and never go back to live in Italy. Again my parents were very good about it but for me it was a very difficult time because I knew what they were feeling deep down.
Now 16 years later (I did get married and moved to different countries, some in Europe and some further afield) I am still living abroad and even though through the years we have been able to see each other with regularity and we keep in touch weekly, I feel that my parents have had to go through many difficult times and experience (serious operations, loss of family, etc.)without me or any other children being near. And this will always be a source of pain for me.
A second consideration is that I now have children of my own (I have 3 children and always wanted a big family, maybe as a reaction for being an only child?) and I realize that I missed out on all that is the experience of sibling relationships. As a consequence I notice that I find very difficult the rivarly that is between my children and that everybody say is normal. I often intervene to restore peace when probably it would be better to let them sort their problems out by themselves.
I realize that I have lived a very serene childhood for being an only child but now I often wish I had brothers or sisters.
Having said all this I know that every person has a reason for the choices he/she makes. My parents had very good ones for not having other children and I am sure you all have too but I thought you might like to hear an experience from the other side.

Last edited by hutch5; 01-15-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: correction of grammar mistakes

Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 AM

371 posts, read 1,784,794 times
Hutch - Thank you SO much for that response. I love hearing about it through your eyes. My mom was an only child and my husband's dad too. They both said they liked it. My mom said she would have had a hard time sharing her parents with someone else. My father in law said he felt complete. I am sure that isn't the case for all and it was nice hearing how you felt growing up this way. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks for that, hutch - interesting to hear your side of things.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
Kay-Kay, I'm so sorry about the loss of your son. You are very strong to have gotten through (or still be getting through) that with your good heart and faith in God intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or