U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,288,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I'm pregnant with our second now, so people leave me alone, but when they asked when I was going to have another after my daughter was born I just told them we were still deciding if we liked this one. Most got the hint.

LOL - I must spread some reputation around before giving you any more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,467,436 times
We didn't think we were going to be able to have the one we have. She is such a huge blessing in my life. We love having one.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM

690 posts, read 2,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I'm pregnant with our second now, so people leave me alone, but when they asked when I was going to have another after my daughter was born I just told them we were still deciding if we liked this one. Most got the hint.
LOL - we used to say something similar. When people would ask when we were going to have another one, we'd say, "We're going to see if she makes it to 5 first, then we'll talk about it."

Heh.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:58 PM

65 posts, read 237,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Hi because of another thread I was on I thought I would ask parents that have only one child if they feel satisfied with that and do they ever feel guilty?

We decided to have a child when I was in my mid-30s and are so happy we did, but have really never given another thought to having more. We are both in our early 40s and feel quite content with our son. People can't seem to understand why anyone would want to have just one child and often try to make us feel guilty for our decision. They also prejudge our son. He must be spoiled, lonely, bored, etc. . . The only thing I feel sorry for is him because of this prejudgemental attitude.

Would love to hear from other families about this issue. Thanks.
I was an only child growing up and I was perfectly content. Yes, I was spoiled, not with material things (we were not well-off) but with love and attention. I had plenty of friends and was not lonely, but certainly now I'm an adult I am quite a loner. I like my space. Not sure if that's an only-child thing or just a personality thing. Anyway, I have two young childern of my own now (so much for wanting my own space!!!) and it's fun to watch them interact with each other and the love and affection they show each other is heart-melting - truly. I'm glad I decided to have two, but I don't think it's harmful to just have one.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,498,501 times
I was the youngest of 4 - needing your own space might be a personality trait. Or maybe I need it because I grew up in a large family?
I am a loner for sure. Not a people person at all. And yet, I do phone work for our business and my husband is always amazed at how nice I can be when I need to pour it on.....

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,785,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I was the youngest of 4 - needing your own space might be a personality trait. Or maybe I need it because I grew up in a large family?
I am a loner for sure. Not a people person at all. And yet, I do phone work for our business and my husband is always amazed at how nice I can be when I need to pour it on.....
Wow Jkcoop! That's me in nutshell also. I grew up with 2 sisters and I'm the 3rd and the youngest. I am so not a people person. I am so shy it hurts at times and yet I have a son that MAKES me come out of my shell and talk. He is the most extroverted person I've ever known. My husband and I would be perfectly happy to stick to ourselves and this is why I believe God placed our son with 2 introverted parents. I believe he was saying, "Okay, no more hiding amongst yourselves. It is now time to come meet and enjoy people." After all, he did create us for his enjoyment. I absolutely love irony and I absolutely love our Creator.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,343,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
LOL - we used to say something similar. When people would ask when we were going to have another one, we'd say, "We're going to see if she makes it to 5 first, then we'll talk about it."

Heh.

I like that one too. I'll have to think of something witty b/c the comments are already starting about having a third and "trying for the boy"

Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,858,191 times
We have one child by choice. At times I feel guilty about not giving her a sibling, but I always get over it. She is incredibly happy with her young life, and I attribute this to getting lots of love from us and lots of opportunities to socialize. Since she does not have siblings at home I make sure that she has friends over or goes over to other kid's homes quite often. She is even doing and having sleepovers, which she loves. She is in first grade, and she is a relaxed, confident, secure and hugely popular little girl. I assume that if she was bratty the other kids wouldn't like her so much. I don't see her as spoiled or selfish so far, but time will tell. In many ways we do spoil her, but we always have expectations of her and stay on top of things like homework and politeness. I guess it all balances out. I think having two would have been doable, but we prefer having a more balanced life.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,495,311 times
I think there are so many benefits to being a family with one child. Just the resources and focus you can direct to that child is a big positive.

When I was pregnant with #2, I was feeling a bit guilty...my daughter was the center of the universe! How dare we distract from that! And, shouldn't child #2 ALSO be the center of the universe? It wasn't possible! Just didn't seem fair all around!

Anyway, I was an only child until I was 12, and thought I wanted a small family with one or two children. Well, now I want more (in the process of adopting, maybe we'll adopt 2??).

I see my neighbors...I have a few elderly neighbors. There is one family who almost never has company, never has family on the weekends or holidays. Then there is this other one who has lots of family every single weekend. Sometimes when their grandchildren are there and have friends, there are 30 kids in their yard! Well, that's toooo much for me!! BUT, when we are old, I want to be like family #2.

Whatever you decide, decide on how you see your family and what you want to be surrounded by. I think having a sibling for your child is not a good reason to have another.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,498,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I see my neighbors...I have a few elderly neighbors. There is one family who almost never has company, never has family on the weekends or holidays. Then there is this other one who has lots of family every single weekend. Sometimes when their grandchildren are there and have friends, there are 30 kids in their yard! Well, that's toooo much for me!! BUT, when we are old, I want to be like family #2.

Whatever you decide, decide on how you see your family and what you want to be surrounded by. I think having a sibling for your child is not a good reason to have another.
Our son just jokes that when we are old he'll make sure he puts us in the same elderly home together.....
Gotta love a teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or