Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times

Advertisements

hutch -
I enjoyed your story as well. I grew up the youngest of 4 - so from that perspective, I know what my son is missing because I am very close to my siblings. We actually tried to have another when he was two, miscarried, and decided we couldn't go through that again (I barely hung on to the pregnancy when I was pregnant with him).
You sound like you have a very happy and fulfilling life - and as a parent, the is the most we can hope for our kids and the thing in the end that makes us the happiest. There are no guarantees that another child would fulfill for them what you wish you could. Kind of like I mentioned in a previous post that there are no guarantees that siblings will like each other and be life long friends.
And as far as intervening with your children to restore peace......my mom had 4 of us within 5 years of age. She restored a lot of peace - or maybe better put, sanity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,686 times
You are right jkcoop. Siblings are not always a blessing. My mother has two and she seems to be getting only aggravations from them. I certainly have no illusions about it. Also please I hope nobody felt that I was implaying that it is better to have more than one child. Every person has a story and a reason and there is something positive to be said about each situation.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 AM

207 posts, read 748,693 times
Both of my sisters have one kid; they're fine with having only one kid. But they both told me that at one time they felt very guilty when their kids turn 5-6 years old, came home from school one day crying and crying asking them why they don't have a sister or a brother.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,793 times
When I married my dh - we were not planning to have kids at all. My dh had already had 3 kids from his previous marriage (with the middle one being lost to SIDS).

Our boy was a surprise. Dh had a vasectomy shortly after the news.

We wouldn't give him up for anything. He is a joy.

We had custody of my sister's (we have never been close) 2 kids for a year. So he got a taste of the sibling thing. Didn't like it. He has thanked us often for not having another.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
We have one child who is now 18 months old. When I was pregnant we still wanted to have a large family but after our son was born we felt very happy with "just one". I'm still in my twenties and my husband is in his early thirties, however we have no desire to have more children. Our family feels complete. And the comments of "not making him a little sibling" make me sick. I hear this a lot and can't do anything except roll my eyes.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
what the heck does DH stand for? Dumb husband? LOL I can't come up with anything else!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,944 times
LOL Nic - maybe for some it does (Ha!), but generally it means "Dear Husband".

Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
LOL Nic - maybe for some it does (Ha!), but generally it means "Dear Husband".

LMAO - oh ....thanks very much msjones

I tried to give you more but....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MSJones again.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
We have one child who is now 18 months old. When I was pregnant we still wanted to have a large family but after our son was born we felt very happy with "just one". I'm still in my twenties and my husband is in his early thirties, however we have no desire to have more children. Our family feels complete. And the comments of "not making him a little sibling" make me sick. I hear this a lot and can't do anything except roll my eyes.
I'm pregnant with our second now, so people leave me alone, but when they asked when I was going to have another after my daughter was born I just told them we were still deciding if we liked this one. Most got the hint.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I'm pregnant with our second now, so people leave me alone, but when they asked when I was going to have another after my daughter was born I just told them we were still deciding if we liked this one. Most got the hint.
LOL - I love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting