Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

I want to gently point out that OP is also expecting another child. I can't speak for anyone else, but preggo hormones usually had me reacting much more harshly than I normally would. In fact, I frequently wore a maternity shirt with a picture of Godzilla on it, that said "Pregzilla". Have a heart and cut her some slack <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I want to gently point out that OP is also expecting another child. I can't speak for anyone else, but preggo hormones usually had me reacting much more harshly than I normally would. In fact, I frequently wore a maternity shirt with a picture of Godzilla on it, that said "Pregzilla". Have a heart and cut her some slack <3
Okay...hormones can effect our moods....it's still not an excuse for how she's treating the child already born.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Ah, is she now? Congrats, OP.

In that case, perhaps both would benefit from a time-out (mommy will need to use this moment to calm down/collect thoughts).

Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
And I'm sure once the dust settled she felt bad enough, and hugged it out with her little guy. No need to dog-pile on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Okay...hormones can effect our moods....it's still not an excuse for how she's treating the child already born.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
And I'm sure once the dust settled she felt bad enough, and hugged it out with her little guy. No need to dog-pile on her.
That is not always the case....and her son deserves better now. Adding another baby to the mix is not going to make things automaticaly better if she doesn't get herself under control now.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:14 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
At 5 children think very literally. A warning about a tablet does not extend to a laptop because of a warning of not touching what doesn't belong to him. Directions need to be very, very specific and repeated often.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I agree! What's with this board, anyway? A couple disagree, they need to go to marriage counseling. A parent blows up at her kid, she needs to take parenting classes. Good Grief!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
I agree! What's with this board, anyway? A couple disagree, they need to go to marriage counseling. A parent blows up at her kid, she needs to take parenting classes. Good Grief!
Most parents are not screaming at 5 year olds for being 5 year olds...and if they are...they need help as well.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
You punished him by letting him "go play" by himself?
Not much punishment hence the reason the behavior did not change.
My kids got to follow me around and sit in the room I was in and do nothing, no television, no playing no reading, just sit and watch me.
They learned very quickly that is not something that is pleasant when I am doing house chores with no television, no radio, no CD's playing and they can do nothing but sit on their little stool that they carry around the house with them.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
I think you need to change your approach with him completely. My daughter is 5, she can be sneaky and does things she KNOWS she shouldn't. It's the way of a kid.

I think instead of punishing him for touching the tablet or computer or whatever, use it as a reward. If he cleans his room, eats all his dinner, puts away his laundry or whatever, he gets 15-20 minutes of tech time. If he knows that at some point each day he will get to play on it, he may he less tempted to sneak away with it.

Secondly, he is lying because he knows how you will react if you find out what he's done. Lying is a straight up no no in our house. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. My kids get in trouble more for lying than the act they lied about. My daughter used to lie all the time, but once I started punishing her for the lie (quiet time in her room usually) and started calmly discussing the bad behavior she was trying to cover, she stopped lying. This is important to me, because if she feels the need to lie to me about her bad behavior at 5, she will at 15. I want her to trust that I won't get so mad at what she's done that she's afraid to talk to me. She still gets in trouble for the act. We talk about why she shouldn't have done it, how she can do better the next time then we hug and I thank her for telling me the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting