Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,132,399 times

Advertisements

Alright, this topic could be in both the fashion/beauty or the parenting forums... but I'll choose to put this here.

I've noticed something that seems to be alarming me. I've been watching the people around me, noticeably kids in the toddler/pre-school years. Around my daughter's age.

Yesterday, I saw the most horrible display of humanity and vanity. I took my daughter to Chuck E. Cheese's - our monthly tradition. Well, needless to say, I saw a child around the age of 3.... with HIGHLIGHTS and make-up on.

I was flabbergasted. This pre-schooler was dolled up like a sex-idol. The clothes were trashy things that you'd see on the corner of Church St... if you know what I mean.

Now, the mother was not the typical teen mom with trashy guy. In fact, the mother looked around MY mother's age... wearing clothes that made me blush - I'd say worse than Paris Hilton. Cellulite, plastic, too much make-up.

Why does it seem that people are so intent on physical beauty?

Well, to make a long story short.. both this "sex-idol-child" and my daughter were playing in the toddler area... together. I thought it was kind of cute, my daughter initiated a "friendship" with this random kid and they were having fun. Giggles, laughter, sliding, climbing, etc. Well, this woman comes over and grabs her daughter by the arm, "We don't play with commoners." was her snide remark.

I looked at my mother (my daughter is her first grand-daughter, so she's always trying to spoil her) and to my husband. We all laughed... hysterically.

Back to the topic at hand... What the crap? Why would somebody seriously make their pre-schooler look like a corner street.... you know?

At the end of the day, I feel so sorry for that child and the life her parents are going to push her towards. The idea that your only self-worth is through your corporeal self... It's just sad.

Some parents need to smacked. HARD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,098,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Some parents need to smacked. HARD.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:06 AM

15,816 posts, read 21,328,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, this woman comes over and grabs her daughter by the arm, "We don't play with commoners." was her snide remark.

I looked at my mother (my daughter is her first grand-daughter, so she's always trying to spoil her) and to my husband. We all laughed... hysterically.
Oh my GOODNESS!!! I'm glad you all took it so well.. I would have been laughing later.... after I had been arrested for attacking the woman!

But really, what a horrible thing to do to a child. So many parents raise their daughters to think that their only commodity is beauty. I was amazed at some of the remarks out of girl's mouths as my high school- how they wanted to be trophy wives and how their mom would just not STAND for them to be in THAT sorority because that's where the second tier attractive girls went and however would they find a wealthy man there? It absolutely kills me.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM

932 posts, read 1,267,103 times
See...that kind of situation is where my tounge would work faster than my mind ( not that its happened before or anything...

my immediate response " At least commoners don't look like prostitutes"

WAY too much emphasis on beauty (real or imagined) in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting