Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:00 PM

66 posts, read 129,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why does she need protection from her own sexuality?
I never said she needed protection from her own sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
I never said she needed protection from her own sexuality.
Then why does she need protection?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Then why does she need protection?
Look, I was once a teen. I know what it is like at that age to have desire for the opposite sex. And yes, I and her mother have given her a talk on that. She is also a very smart young lady who makes good decisions.

However, there are issues, such as teenage pregnancy, etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Look, I was once a teen. I know what it is like at that age to have desire for the opposite sex. And yes, I and her mother have given her a talk on that. She is also a very smart young lady who makes good decisions.

However, there are issues, such as teenage pregnancy, etc.
How are YOU going to protect her from pregnancy? She needs to protect herself from unwanted pregnancy. I fail to see how you being a teen means she requires protection.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's not cynicism. It's critical thinking and discernment, and it only took four posts for anyone to question it.

Did you READ the guy's screed yesterday??? So bad it was locked. He had quite a sudden lunchtime conversion, and immediately ran here for approval.

I call BS too. Life doesn't revolve around him. Dude needs to trust his daughter. He raised her, after all.
Not sure he did.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
How are YOU going to protect her from pregnancy? She needs to protect herself from unwanted pregnancy. I fail to see how you being a teen means she requires protection.
Huh? It's the natural reaction of most parents to want to protect their child from all types of potential issues. Even when they can't really control the outcome, they still want to protect them from harm.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:47 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
I used to be addicted to acohol and gambling. Admitting I'm in the wrong something is I have experience with.

But thank you.
I appreciate that you became open-minded and admitted to others that you were being judgmental. I have known some who have also been "in recovery", which is a positive thing and sounds like that has been the case for you.

For those questioning your sense of protectiveness, you have a right to feel that way, as parents will. I am sure it is a difficult position to be in and being a male, you know how they are. Typically, fathers tend to be wary.

I recall my parents saying, in regards to race, that they wouldn't care who we might choose to date, but how there would otherwise be such societal pressure, which was worse then.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I'm just going to paste this response to your post from "CharlyGal."

Huh? It's the natural reaction of most parents to want to protect their child from all types of potential issues. Even when they can't really control the outcome, they still want to protect them from harm

Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
I think we all appreciate the honesty and sincerity. I think society needs more cultural and racial mixing, and not less. I'll admit to some hypocrisy since I think if a Jewish child is in a mixed religion marriage the intended should convert to Judaism. But that's because we're demographically endangered.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
But are you paying for the wedding? I dated a girl for one year whose sister was with a black man. They had two kids together and then he kinda disappeared showing up on holidays etc.

Anyhow since the girl I dated lived at home, and so did the sister and the two kids sometimes she would be stuck baby sitting. They were cute kids, 2 and 4. But when myself, who was 20 at the time and my girlfriend who was 19 at time were strolling around with a black 2 year old and a black 4 year old in a double baby carriage man did we get looks. The sister named the kids after the baby daddy so different last name. I was always wondering if we ever lost them or I had to take them to emergency room what would happen.

But man did we get looks. Maybe part of reason was my GF was really white looking, five foot nine, 120 pounds, long blonde hair, very beautiful, and she is pushing two black kids around at least once or twice a week. This is way before it was in style. At one point she babysat the asian neighbors kid and we took all three with us to icecream. Folks were giving me look like I was kidnapping them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting