U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM

180 posts, read 887,794 times

Advertisements

I am glad you are persuing the therapy option. I wish I had done more for my 14 year old son.

We moved and he started acting out too. Smoked pot, took some drugs, fell in love with one girl or another, petty theft etc. I did seek help and therapy but it turned out he managed to con the therapist. She said he was doing just fine after 3 months and didn't think he needed her anymore. As soon as she was out of our life, it all started over again. And I couldn't get any help with him at all.

He became a meth head, drug dealer, gangster. He'll be released from his second stint in prison in April. This time there may be hope though. He just completed an extensive inpatient rehab program. He called me and he talks different this time. I am just praying this isn't a attempt to con me.

My prayers walk with you and your son too.

TW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 AM

5,835 posts, read 3,886,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
That is great he is going to get some therapy. Also I would keep a tight reign on who he hangs out with and what he does on his off time when not in school.
Unfortunetly, this kind of stuff takes place in school. Everyone's kid and their brother has some kind of ADHD drugs that are being sold in school. My son comes home right after school during the week and the person he got the drug from is not one of his friends, but just your local friendly drug connection. He won't tell me who it is in fear of getting trouble from the kid and friends. I am going to talk to his counselor hoping he will pursue it but you get one kid down and there is always another around the corner to step in. I hope I make it through high school!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 AM

371 posts, read 1,785,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Unfortunetly, this kind of stuff takes place in school. Everyone's kid and their brother has some kind of ADHD drugs that are being sold in school. My son comes home right after school during the week and the person he got the drug from is not one of his friends, but just your local friendly drug connection. He won't tell me who it is in fear of getting trouble from the kid and friends. I am going to talk to his counselor hoping he will pursue it but you get one kid down and there is always another around the corner to step in. I hope I make it through high school!
Good luck Puffle! I'll pray for you and your son. Don't you know the teenage years terrify me as a mother. Mine is 5 years old right now, but I still think ahead and I am nervous.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM

12,454 posts, read 13,096,679 times
Get yourself to an Al-Anon meeting. Look in the white pages. Rooms filled with people who have been through exactly what you are going through, and how to navigate. It is the best gift you can give yourself. You are not alone and there is a world of experience, strength, and hope to avail yourself of. Best wishes to you.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Get yourself to an Al-Anon meeting. Look in the white pages. Rooms filled with people who have been through exactly what you are going through, and how to navigate. It is the best gift you can give yourself. You are not alone and there is a world of experience, strength, and hope to avail yourself of. Best wishes to you.
Thanks for the suggestion Dim, but we are not at the Al-Anon stage. Things are much better now. I think the private sessions for himself will help a lot. I made him sit through Celebrity Rehab.....wasn't pretty and he couldn't take seeing the whole thing. Fortunetly we have no druggies or alchoholics in our families. Just latte addicts. We don't even keep alchohol in the house and any prescription drugs are not in reach. I've spoken to some of the parents of my son's friends and they are all having a rough time of it for the first time. Kids are moody and think they have they worst life...typical drama that kids feed off of each other. Each mother thought they were going through this alone until we started talking to each other. My son's friends were questioned about who sold the adderall and no one would give up any info. We have a drug test that is unopened and he will never know when we might spring it on him. And this is only 14!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,041,328 times
I don't understand parents, who leaves that kind of medication where they can get to it too sell it?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM

I understand your concern Lindsey, but these are not the parents medication...it is the kids. I wouldn't doubt that over half the kids in middle and high school have been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD and are on medication...medication they probably sell once in awhile instead of taking it. After all, renewing the meds is no problem. Just saw the movie "Juno" and there is even a reference there of a girl selling her Adderall. Unfortunetly the kids now have legal prescription drugs made out to them that they can bring to school. In middle school, the kids had to leave their drugs with the nurse and come to the office to take their meds.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 AM

395 posts, read 1,229,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
My son's school counselor called me today to tell me that someone came forward telling him that my son has been taking Adderall and more than once. We just moved to this town/state and since he has been in his new high school we have met with his counselor on more than one ocassion.
I haven't spoken to him yet as he is still in school. I'm sure he will deny it. Anyone been here? He is fourteen.
I remember when I was in High school...that stuf was so popular...be careful!!! It has long term effects if you do not get him away from it...
very addictive.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 AM

All seems to be well for now. The police and staff are trying to find out who the seller is at school but I am told no sales are happening by this person anymore. I appreciate your responsed and wish you all well with your children.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 AM

515 posts, read 1,362,990 times
Exclamation And people wonder why I'm concerned...

I posted about relocating with my daughter, and how to handle it, and I wasn't received very well... Puffle, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Now at least I'm sure I'm NOT overreacting... Good to hear you're on the right track. Prayers to you, my friend!

~Danielle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting