Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:02 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
The courts aren't stacked against custody for the father. A ton of progress has been made in that area since kids were automatically awarded to to the moms, back in the 50's and 60's. If the dad asks for custody, the court will usually award 50/50, unless the dad can prove the mom is unfit for some reason, or the mom chooses to let the dad have 100% custody.

You're really getting ahead of yourself. Do you even have a serious gf that might be marriage material? If a marriage, kids, and then a divorce ever happen, get a good lawyer who can make sure you get at least 50% custody. Stay involved with your kids during the marriage.

If you're worried about this kind of stuff, it might sabotage your chances of a good marriage. Going into it with some paranoia isn't the way to get to "happily ever after".
You are totally wrong. Read this website, read the stories, and tell me this is true.
dadsdivorce.com

Men almost NEVER get 50% (physical) custody in contested divorces. At least in the USA.
In the jurisdication that I live in, I have never even seen ONE case where a man got 50% physical custody. I've watched hundreds, if not thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Better idea given that no matter how much a parent suffers from losing kids in a divorce, the kids suffer the most:

Make better rules on who can have kids.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Although there is still a bias towards mothers in family court, the good news is that is beginning to change. Depending on what state you live in, split custody or 50/50 arrangements are becoming more and more common and in some jurisdictions it is actually the norm. We're getting there but it is a slow and painful process. You have to remember, the foundations for our family court system were laid down at a time when things were a lot different. Yes the system has to change to match the times but you still have to deal with inertia and old fashioned attitudes, especially among older judges who are set in their ways or younger judges with a more activist feminist motivation.

Right now, in present day America(and depending on jurisdiction), a father can usually get a custody arrangement that is equitable for all involved, but he will have to prepare for it and fight for it, it will not usually just be handed to him. It will also probably be very expensive, unfortunately.
None of this is true. I'm not sure why you believe it, but there is absolutely zero evidence to support that any of this is true.

If anything, it's worse now for fathers than its ever been.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I know several divorced couples and the custody agreement heavily favors the mothers. Its unfortunate. Fathers love their children just as much as mothers.
I know many divorced people who are 50-50 and several where the dad is primary.
What's yer point?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I call bull****.

As a woman, I see how the courts favor mothers and its not because its in the best interest of the child. Not every parent can be the PC. Someone has to work and provide money and stability to the family.

I agree with OP and I think his fears are not unfounded. He's right. Men do get the shaft in child custody and divorce proceedings.
Thank you for your honesty.

I'd like to add that this is wrong.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:08 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know many divorced people who are 50-50 and several where the dad is primary.
What's yer point?
My point was to counter the idea that its normal for men to have 50/50 custody. I'm happy the men you know have it.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Yea but no men want to fight the system other than MRA.
There is a reason for this. Men know that fighting the system is often futile.
I fought and I lost everything. Everything I had, and I STILL LOST.

After going through what I've been through, I don't blame men for not fighting as much. It's terrible to lose everything that you work for and get railroaded the whole way through.

That being said, I'll be filing (again) for full custody within the next few months and taking it all the way to trial.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:14 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
There is a reason for this. Men know that fighting the system is often futile.
I fought and I lost everything. Everything I had, and I STILL LOST.

After going through what I've been through, I don't blame men for not fighting as much. It's terrible to lose everything that you work for and get railroaded the whole way through.

That being said, I'll be filing (again) for full custody within the next few months and taking it all the way to trial.
That attitude get you no where.
Look at Civil rights movement , there was violence towards the protesters but people got their rights in the end.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
My point was to counter the idea that its normal for men to have 50/50 custody. I'm happy the men you know have it.
The thing is, 50/50 custody is almost never awarded by the courts. It's one thing if the parents negotiate it, but the negotiation among reasonable people is certainly not an argument in favor the court's propriety.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
That attitude get you no where.
Look at Civil rights movement , there was violence towards the protesters but people got their rights in the end.
I've been fighting for my daughter for over 3 years and I'm about to file again for custody. I've been through 12 lawyers, my life savings, and I even lost my job at one point due to being in court too much and missing work all the time.

You are preaching to the choir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting