U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,589,170 times

Advertisements

I have five daughters and wouldn't trade it for the world. Money has been tight( especially where we are now) and we have had to sacrifice things, but that's just it, they are THINGS. When people say to me the rude and nasty things they have said, especially the last time I got pregnant, my response is" Well, look at them, which one shouldn't I have had"? That always stops them in their tracks. Honestly, I would love to have one more, but with our current financial situation, I doubt that will happen, maybe when I finish school. In the meantime, we will continue to have the house that all the kids go to (even the richer kids) and we will continue to have a loud, crazy and chaotic life. And that's fine by me, I'm surrounded by love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM

934 posts, read 931,803 times
We have 2 - I would actually like another, but until we move into a much larger home (soon, hopefully) there's no way.

We can easily afford a third ( even more, I guess! lol) but space right now limits us to 2!

My best friend has 3, and I *think* wants more, but not for a couple of years- her oldest is 4 and youngest is 1!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM

238 posts, read 747,295 times
I have two from my first marriage. When I get hitched again I will absolutely be having more. I come from a big family and most people I know have 3-4 as the norm although I was one of 6 myself.
I agree with one of the posters on the first page. If you want a big family that's just WONDERFUL but there may be some sacrifices. Like I said, I want more kids, I want a big family. 5 or 6 and given that, I know that I will probably never live in a mansion and drive a cadillac. I feel raising a big family is absolutely worth those sort of superficial sacrifices.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 AM

560 posts, read 1,966,615 times
I have 4 and I get so sick of people who say that anyone who has more than one or two children is socially irresponsible. Who wrote that rule? We are raising very well mannered, well educated, well LOVED, future productive adults in society. Why do parents feel that they have to pay for their childrens' college education? I come from a family of 4 and we all have master's degrees and we all paid our own way through college with student loans, grants and scholarships. We have chosen to put our children through catholic school and here in Nevada they have the Millenium Scholarship to help with college so my children know that they need to get good grades to qualify. We will of course help them as much as we can but I would never not have more children just because when they are ready for college we might not be able to pay their way.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
This is just a general comment.
It is my understanding that two kids per family is the number needed to have a stable level of population growth. Two kids per family is replacement level meaning that the two kids replace the mom and dad in the general population eventually. Three kids is one above replacement level and means that population growth will start to rise more instead of stabalize.
It is interesting to look at the demographic differences in various regions of the country as well. It just fascinates me.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:59 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
We have 2 - I would actually like another, but until we move into a much larger home (soon, hopefully) there's no way.

We can easily afford a third ( even more, I guess! lol) but space right now limits us to 2!

My best friend has 3, and I *think* wants more, but not for a couple of years- her oldest is 4 and youngest is 1!
It sounds like you and your friends are collecting commemorative plates. Wow if you can afford a third then get another one!
Collect all six plates for a complete set. Remember these are real people you want to bring into this world.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,132,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
It is my understanding that two kids per family is the number needed to have a stable level of population growth. Two kids per family is replacement level meaning that the two kids replace the mom and dad in the general population eventually. Three kids is one above replacement level and means that population growth will start to rise more instead of stabalize.
It is interesting to look at the demographic differences in various regions of the country as well. It just fascinates me.
Your calculation is correct. But considering the number of couples who decide not to have children or to have just one as well as the number of people who never marry or have a partner, then I WELCOME the families who have more than two children to bring everything back to balance.

Here in Europe the new generation, through their contributions/taxes, help paying the pensions of the older generation. No children means no pensions for the future retired.

Having said all this, I think that deciding to bring a human being into the world is a great responsibility that needs to be thought through. But ultimately it is a very personal decision and nobody has the right to comment on it or to judge.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 PM

395 posts, read 1,792,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
So true. We meant to have only two children, but nature gave us a big surprise after while our oldest kids were 12 and 14. Now we have three.

In years to come there won't be enough food and water to sustain the world's population at it's current high birth rate. If one actually starts looking into the statistics, it's very sobering. Now the population is around 6 billion, but it's expected to reach 9 billion by the year 2050. Imagine what it will then by the year 2075. And so on, and so on....

Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
I Why do parents feel that they have to pay for their childrens' college education?
Yeah-I don't get that one either. I'm the only one of my father's 4 kids to go to college. I would have had loans to pay back if my mom didn't work for the college I went to-that took care of the tuition and dad paid for my books and that's it. And he probably wouldn't have done that much if I majored in something that had more expensive textbooks than my English BA did. LOL. I knew from the time I was old enough to know what college was that if I wanted to go, I was going to be paying for it. I survived.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:50 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
I am confident that technology will provide ways for us to support the world's population. It always has. I think that the world is planned that way. How far are we from living on another planet? People have been saying that the world will not support any more people for a thousand years or so.

Parents may want to pay for their kid's college, not need to. However today is very different from when we went to college. When I attended college, tuition ran about $3,000. Maybe a little bit more. At slightly over minimum wage, you could earn $3600 in a summer if you worked some overtime. You could do better if you really worked hard (I had 3 jobs: 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. janitor; 10:10 a.m. to 7 p.m. boat captain; 7:30 to ?? pizza deivery, I had a blast and made plenty for college). Now however college costs about $20,000 to 25,000/year, excluding room and board. With a good job, a student can earn about $7500 in a summer. If they worked like I did, they might make as much as $12,000 to $15,000. Of course then they get the the level where they have to pay taxes. They could work during the school year, but their earnings will be a pittance since they have so little time after classes and homework. That would also prevent them from getting involved in extra curricular activities.

With the massive influx of illegal immigration recently, most of the traditional college jobs are gone. Most college kids can probably find a summer job, but few or none will be able to find two or three jobs for the summer.

Scholarships and grants are much harder to get than they once were. Loans are a possibility, but the costs so far exceed initial earnings, that it could take them 20 or more years to pay off college debt. Loans are not always available anyway. I don't want them to have to deal with that if I can possibly avoid it.

I am not a fan of 18 year olds moving to campus and partying incessantly. However even if they live at home and commute to college for the first 2 to 4 years, they still cannot earn enough to get through college without huge loans.
Even if they live at home and commute, they still have living expenses beyond tuition (gasoline, insurance, health care, some meals, some entertainment and/or travel, clothing, toiletries . . .).
How can they do it now without help from parents? This is not the same situation as it was in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. college costs have gone up far faster than low end wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or