U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,624,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
That's because you can have multiples or 16 kids and get a show on the Discovery Chanel or TLC. They will then send you on nice vacations to Disney Land or buy you a baby grand piano or hire a professional decorator for your house. What a deal! I told my husband we made a mistake by trying to be socially responsible and limiting our family to one child that we could afford. I think the "big family" trend will bust as people realize that sending 6 kids to college all at once is going to catch up with them. But maybe the Discovery Chanel or TLC will pay for that too!
I have two sets of twins, 6 kids all together. Wish I could get a reality show that gives me stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,798,041 times
I absolutely agree that "three" is the new "two".

Most of my friends/neighbors with little ones have three kids, and those with older kids have two - it's funny, but I can actually see the trend.

We have three boys and it's loads of fun - loud, but fun

I always said I'd have two kids, but then I just didn't feel like our family was complete. Now with our family of five, I am very content.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:39 AM

269 posts, read 490,245 times
I wonder whether all these "big" families even really offset the number of childless folks out there.

It does seem to me that most of my girlfriends have at LEAST three kids (or are working on it) but then I know that there are whole huge social circles built around the single life... guys like my brother, who loves his cosmopolitan, international life of intrigue and can't even fathom starting a family on purpose.

There is virtually no social pressure on him to settle down; perpetual bachelorhood is a real option for him. Maybe it wouldn't have been so easy 30 years ago.

Maybe the gap between the reproductive "haves" and "have nots" is widening even faster than the gap between the economic "haves" and "have nots."

Personally, 4 is my ideal number. I'm pregnant with #3 now, but just don't feel done yet.

I had really expected my husband to put his foot down and declare "ENOUGH!" now that we've had three babies in 5 years of marriage.

But now he's slipping in little comments/jokes about how soon we should start on Baby Four. Men! LOL! It's just hard to see three or four children as a "supersize" family when you see so many people with six, eight, even ten, etc.

His mother and my grandma disagree vehemently, though... to them, having more than two is already kind of reckless.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,798,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
..now that we've had three babies in 5 years of marriage.
I did the same thing - my oldest was 4 1/2 when #3 came along. I am all for having them close together. However, 3 was my limit.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 PM

934 posts, read 932,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
We have 2 - I would actually like another, but until we move into a much larger home (soon, hopefully) there's no way.

We can easily afford a third ( even more, I guess! lol) but space right now limits us to 2!

My best friend has 3, and I *think* wants more, but not for a couple of years- her oldest is 4 and youngest is 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It sounds like you and your friends are collecting commemorative plates. Wow if you can afford a third then get another one!
Collect all six plates for a complete set. Remember these are real people you want to bring into this world.
that was rather rude and uncalled for. I mean, I guess if I were asking you to care for them, or buy groceries, or get up in the middle of the night when one is sick....then I could understand it...but at last check I WASN'T.

Besides, I collect pottery...not plates, silly!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
I for one, am on the opposite end of the scale, I have one child. I am soooooo tired of moms with more than one telling me I am not a "real" mom, because I just have one. Whats that about? Reproductive snobbery? Its nobody's business, period.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM

934 posts, read 932,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
nobody's business, period.
exactly! One makes you happy- five makes another member happy, three would make me happy....takes all kinds of families to make this a beautiful world!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
exactly! One makes you happy- five makes another member happy, three would make me happy....takes all kinds of families to make this a beautiful world!
Thank you! Words of wisdom in the "mommy wars". I swear, sometimes we women are our own worst enemies.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
"Reproductive snobbery"...LOVE IT!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM

thanks, it made me smile when i typed it, but i have run into it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or