U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,348,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
thanks, it made me smile when i typed it, but i have run into it!
Oh-I'm sure. My BIL is great for telling me how many kids I should have. LOL. I'm having my second now, but he's already working on me for when we should have our third. He makes such a convincing argument too, when he tells me I should have more after he just gets done yelling at my nephews .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM

651 posts, read 1,246,924 times
What a great topic. I was just looking up information on this and ran across this thread. My husband and I have been married 5 years and have no kids yet but we are trying to get pregnant. In the early years of my marriage, when I was mega career woman, I said I would never have more than two. Now, I've started thinking having a larger family might be nice. My husband is beginning to support this viewpoint as well. I plan on being an SAHM, so I do think the idea of him financially supporting a large family is a bit scary to him but he seems to be up to the task. I guess we will wait and see how we like having one before we decide whether to have more.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM

24,791 posts, read 59,773,480 times
Once you have three, you are outnumbered and it makes no difference how many more you have. go for it. Have six or ten. In fact, if they are spread out, the older ones help with the younger ones.

I am not a good diaper changer. With our youngest son, I almost never had to change a diaper. We had three and a half helpers plus mom, mother in law, and an adopted grandmother sort of, all of whom lined up for changing privileges.

Now with five kids, it makes no difference in our household if we have two or three extras spending the night or one or two missing. Nothing changes. Three, five, seven, nine, what difference does it make? Sometimes we have sleepovers and I do not even realize there is an extra someone until I see new face(s) at the breakfast table.

Big families are wild, but always fun.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM

934 posts, read 936,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Once you have three, you are outnumbered and it makes no difference how many more you have. go for it. Have six or ten.

Now with five kids, it makes no difference in our household if we have two or three extras spending the night or one or two missing. Nothing changes. Three, five, seven, nine, what difference does it make? Sometimes we have sleepovers and I do not even realize there is an extra someone until I see new face(s) at the breakfast table.

OMG that was so funny and so true! thanks for the laugh!

lmaooooooooooooooo

Old 01-30-2008, 03:24 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,678,367 times
Quote:
Sometimes we have sleepovers and I do not even realize there is an extra someone until I see new face(s) at the breakfast table.

ROTFL!!!!1 I was good friends with a gal in HS that had 17 siblings. I would stay over, and her mom would always look at me with a baffled look on her face, and politely inquire how many days I had been there!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,032,087 times
Quote:
Once you have three, you are outnumbered and it makes no difference how many more you have. go for it. Have six or ten. In fact, if they are spread out, the older ones help with the younger ones.

I am not a good diaper changer. With our youngest son, I almost never had to change a diaper. We had three and a half helpers plus mom, mother in law, and an adopted grandmother sort of, all of whom lined up for changing privileges.

So if there were a late night fire, you couldn't tell the fire fighters how many people are in your house.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM

269 posts, read 490,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
So if there were a late night fire, you couldn't tell the fire fighters how many people are in your house.
Good incentive to check your smoke detectors once a month like the PSAs nag you to.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 PM

403 posts, read 1,406,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I for one, am on the opposite end of the scale, I have one child. I am soooooo tired of moms with more than one telling me I am not a "real" mom, because I just have one. Whats that about? Reproductive snobbery? Its nobody's business, period.
I was an only child and I hated being one. I hated being an only child because all of my friends had brothers and sisters, and they were really close and I was always jealous of them because of the bond and closeness and I would feel really lonely sometimes. My wife has 3 siblings and they're all really, really close. That's why I had 3 children, I wanted my children to have that loving and care for one another. When I was a child I would always tell myself that I that I wouldn't let my child be an only child. And I would always ask my parents why they never had another child, and they would always reply "Well, we want to put all of our love and support on you!!"

Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,678,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
I was an only child and I hated being one. I hated being an only child because all of my friends had brothers and sisters, and they were really close and I was always jealous of them because of the bond and closeness and I would feel really lonely sometimes. My wife has 3 siblings and they're all really, really close. That's why I had 3 children, I wanted my children to have that loving and care for one another. When I was a child I would always tell myself that I that I wouldn't let my child be an only child. And I would always ask my parents why they never had another child, and they would always reply "Well, we want to put all of our love and support on you!!"
I am an only, as is DH. Being lonely never occured to me, or to him, either. I just asked DD is she ever regretted not having siblings, her response was, "and have to share stuff???" with only the eye-rolling a 16 year old can do.
BTW, I miscarried 3 other children, she is my miracle, the docs told me it would be unwise to have more......... I suppose thats why it raises my hackles when I am told I am not a "real" mom..... I dont feel I should have to share my story in order to defend my "onlyness".

Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 AM

934 posts, read 936,681 times
Is it just me, or am I especially glad I don't run around with a giant chip on my shoulder like some?

back to topic at hand...my aunt had my cousin and nearly died in childbirth (incompetent doctor), several years ( 10 or so) later twin boys, one of which died a few months after birth from prenatal/preemie complications...She was told that she would not be able to have any more children. A few years later she gets a surprise- another healthy boy!

I'm certain she never 'planned' to have 'so many' (which I don't think its alot, but I guess some do) but she wouldn't trade a single one of them for anything else in the world!

I think it really is up to each families desires and capabilities to care for kids. Whether you have one, or eleven- its the love and nurturing thats provided and ability to make sure everyone has whats necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or