U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,296 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

It is sometimes a shame today of how parents have become way too soft in raising their children. There is a saying "bad parents make bad children." I have seen a lot of this especially with families who got married from 2000 to present. Parents want to be more of a buddy to their children instead of teaching them the rights and wrong of life. All they do is spoil them with Internet, iPhones. iPads, and cars. I grew up in the 1980s and I was never spoiled with that stuff. Even if iPhones and iPads existed during that time my parents would not spoil me with that. I was brought up to know the right and wrong and be respectful to others. I gave relatives in Europe who have kids and I can tell you from experience that those kids are well behaved than some of the kids today. Also the grandparents of these kids here in the U.S. They never teach their grandchildren of rights and wrong. All they are is extended spoiling their grandchildren because all they care about is being super grandma or grandpa. As I said bad parents make bad children so if the previous generations spoiled their kids. That shame generation will follow. You see a lot of this with suburban kids as well. The parents never do anything when their child acts up in public or gets arrested for underage drinking. These parents think that their child is an angel. That is the reason why everyone is so shallow these days . The lack of discipline is the problem. Because if these child protection services. You never seen that in the 1940s or 50s 60s 70s or 80s. That is why you see older generations respectful. I fear the future of how these kids will run the world. If things are bad now with society. It seems we are doomed for a really bad future. Do you agree?

 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM
 
13,296 posts, read 21,216,672 times
Reputation: 36045
No I don't. How many children do you have?
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM
 
1,644 posts, read 2,168,150 times
Reputation: 2800
I am in my 30s. I have kids. I know there are hyper parents who are way too overbearing and schedule based. I disagree with their parental philosophy. My wife and I do not micromanage our kids. They have boundaries and discipline but they also have time for self expression and independent time. We try to be balanced And not too overprotective.
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
45,647 posts, read 43,879,890 times
Reputation: 88537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankergrun View Post
There is a saying "bad parents make bad children."

Did you make up this saying? I've never heard it before.

You aren't a parent, are you?
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Reputation: 39085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankergrun View Post
Do you agree?
Not at all.

How old are your kids?
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 AM
 
1,615 posts, read 3,251,678 times
Reputation: 2268
Every generation says the exact same thing about the next. Congratulations, you are now officially old.
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
 
10,173 posts, read 7,315,697 times
Reputation: 23959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Every generation says the exact same thing about the next. Congratulations, you are now officially old.
This.

Why little jimmy, when I was your age I walked 2 miles in the snow uphill both ways and no one coddled me in a fancy mini van.
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,906 posts, read 36,925,877 times
Reputation: 42543
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
This.

Why little jimmy, when I was your age I walked 2 miles in the snow uphill both ways and no one coddled me in a fancy mini van.
I did too. Barefoot! And I cleaned the house when I got home and never got in trouble.
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,388,344 times
Reputation: 15138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankergrun View Post
It is sometimes a shame today of how parents have become way too soft in raising their children. There is a saying "bad parents make bad children." I have seen a lot of this especially with families who got married from 2000 to present. Parents want to be more of a buddy to their children instead of teaching them the rights and wrong of life. All they do is spoil them with Internet, iPhones. iPads, and cars. I grew up in the 1980s and I was never spoiled with that stuff. Even if iPhones and iPads existed during that time my parents would not spoil me with that. I was brought up to know the right and wrong and be respectful to others. I gave relatives in Europe who have kids and I can tell you from experience that those kids are well behaved than some of the kids today. Also the grandparents of these kids here in the U.S. They never teach their grandchildren of rights and wrong. All they are is extended spoiling their grandchildren because all they care about is being super grandma or grandpa. As I said bad parents make bad children so if the previous generations spoiled their kids. That shame generation will follow. You see a lot of this with suburban kids as well. The parents never do anything when their child acts up in public or gets arrested for underage drinking. These parents think that their child is an angel. That is the reason why everyone is so shallow these days . The lack of discipline is the problem. Because if these child protection services. You never seen that in the 1940s or 50s 60s 70s or 80s. That is why you see older generations respectful. I fear the future of how these kids will run the world. If things are bad now with society. It seems we are doomed for a really bad future. Do you agree?

It seems your parents raised you without critical thinking skills and left you prone to logical attribution errors and hackneyed platitudes. Plus you conflate fear with respect.

Parents nowadays are generally better than that.
 
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM
 
13,820 posts, read 14,063,988 times
Reputation: 40496
My friends mostly have wonderfully behaved children. I'm amazed and awed by their skills as parents. The few with badly behaved children are mostly that way because they're just not paying attention, and it's saddening. But my father raised me on stories of growing up in the Depression and WW2, and there was nothing to indicate that the children back then were any more virtuous. Quite the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top