Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times

Advertisements

If more moms followed her example, there would be fewer problems in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
Which is worse - the rioting or this act by the mother?

In a vacuum, I think what the mother did was awesome. This is not a normal situation in which to punish a child, regardless of age. What is happening is a dangerous and deadly assault on a city, and his son was in the middle of it, whether by choice or not.

Either way, she walked into the heat to do what she did.

Enough with the politically correct BS, and how this isn't good parenting. Look at the situation at hand, for which I believe for most of us has no comparison to our own parenting through a situation. This is intense stuff in Baltimore - it is not a joke at all. It's like a gang drive-by multiplied by whatever high number you pick. I never dealt with something like this in bringing up my two kids.

She reacted. So go ahead and say over reaction. I think you're wrong. She's a mother who took action, where most others didn't either out of fear or indifference. I give her a gold star.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Again; the mother stopped her son from assaulting police ;which any citizen should do.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
When I watched the video, I didn't see "mom of the year." I saw a woman who's reached her peak level of stress as she doesn't want her son participating in an activity that could get him killed.

I'm not the most pro-corporal punishment person in the world, but I get it.

I actually feel bad for her as she looks so desperate to keep her son from doing something he may regret that she's resorted to something that some people might see as barbaric. She looks like a sad woman who's lost control and this is all she has. Her son may be too naive/young to realize it, but she clearly loves him with all her heart and she simply doesn't want him to get killed.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I totally agree with lowonluck and marlow. He still walked away...so she didn't have an impact. And she is smacking him...great parenting. Not. I bet lots of great mothers talked reason into their children and kept them home.
Great parents woudl never have their kids there in the first place.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't understand why this woman is getting so much praise for slapping her almost adult son around in public. In my book that does not qualify as stellar parenting.
I agree...but I'm too afraid to comment that elsewhere for fear of attack..

Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
At the risk of being accused of being prejudiced, I will say that it is my observation that African American parents are more likely to use physical punishment on their children than white parents are. If physical punishment worked so well, I doubt that the percentage of African American young people who are in trouble with the law would be so high. I think, often, physical punishment is a manifestation of angry, frustrated people who cannot control events around them. Its often used by powerless people against those who are even more powerless--their children. The other factor is that culture (the way we were raised) exerts a powerful influence on how we raise our own kids. This is true whether our cultural values were helpful or not.

The back story on this mother is that she was a single mother raising six children in inner city Baltimore on her own.

The only equation I've seen that makes sense over time to me is this:

Violent societies seem to need violent punishments.

Non-violent, or less violent societies tend not to need violent punishments.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
At the risk of being accused of being prejudiced, I will say that it is my observation that African American parents are more likely to use physical punishment on their children than white parents are. If physical punishment worked so well, I doubt that the percentage of African American young people who are in trouble with the law would be so high. I think, often, physical punishment is a manifestation of angry, frustrated people who cannot control events around them. Its often used by powerless people against those who are even more powerless--their children. The other factor is that culture (the way we were raised) exerts a powerful influence on how we raise our own kids. This is true whether our cultural values were helpful or not.

The back story on this mother is that she was a single mother raising six children in inner city Baltimore on her own.

The only equation I've seen that makes sense over time to me is this:

Violent societies seem to need violent punishments.

Non-violent, or less violent societies tend not to need violent punishments.
Asian parents too use corporal punishment. And Asian kids are probably the most respectful of their parents.
Smacking is not an issue. Smacking and then being indifferent towards a child is the issue.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 PM

367 posts, read 457,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Great parents woudl never have their kids there in the first place.
Yeah, because we all know kids/teenagers ALWAYS do what their parents tell them to so ALL the time.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,247 times
The only thing the d.s. understands is a good smack.

The mother did the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting