Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:56 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Explain the situation to your local PD and file a restraining order against your parents.
Read the thread...
done and cannot do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:30 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
No judge is going to grant him a restraining order. There has to be threatening behavior involved, or fear of bodily harm. The OP's parents aren't a danger to him, they're just annoying.
He has a bonafide case for stalking... and yes, a judge will grant a restraining order for that.

OP: Change your phone number and email account. If any further contact is made, record the conversation or save the email (especially if demands for money are involved). Take that to the cops and tell them that your family are compulsive gamblers/drug addicts and are trying to shake you down for cash to feed their habits. At that point, getting a restraining order will be a cakewalk.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosBall View Post
I am thinking that I shouldn't cave into this threat. Calling/E-mail to tell them to stop will not work. Therefore, I won't acknowledge this threat at all. In the future it could escalate to other threats (crying voicemails, self-harm threats, suicidal statements) to get me to respond. I left my home town and went thousands of miles away to remove myself from that dysfunction. I refuse to be threatened or manipulated any further.

I've requested a call back from my local police department's non-emergency line. I am going to give my PD a heads up that my parent may be calling to report me missing. No sense in them coming out to see if I'm okay.
Are you really just afraid to tell them to back off? It seems the easiest thing to do is to tell them to stop and explain the consequences if they don't like seeking whatever recourse is available (TRO, stalking/harassment charges, etc).

Ignoring them hasn't worked. Try something different.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:15 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:

He has a bonafide case for stalking... .
Relationship/Spousal stalkers do try filing missing persons reports to find their other half after they've disappeared to safe locations.

It isn't the situation here, they know the OPs where about's. If anything, it's using the police as means of harassment to force communication.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
He has a bonafide case for stalking... and yes, a judge will grant a restraining order for that.

OP: Change your phone number and email account. If any further contact is made, record the conversation or save the email (especially if demands for money are involved). Take that to the cops and tell them that your family are compulsive gamblers/drug addicts and are trying to shake you down for cash to feed their habits. At that point, getting a restraining order will be a cakewalk.
He does not have a case for stalking at all. The OP's parents live somewhere where they'd have to fly to see him. Sending emails and 'threatening' to visit him aren't considered stalking. He's not in danger nor is he in fear of his life.

and now you're suggesting that he lie to the police by saying his parents are drug addicts and are shaking him down???

Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Well checks can end up badly . . . this one happened not long ago in the state where I live . . .

I work with police CIT (Crisis Intervention Teams) through mental health agencies and they always advise - if there is an ongoing situation in your family or with family members, they would like to be informed about it BEFORE something goes terribly wrong.

In this situation, the police force did NOT have a Crisis Intervention Team. Things can go wrong quickly.

Police performing welfare check on elderly Army veteran end up killing him instead - The Washington Post
OH, Well I did not think I had to say this:

OP If the police do come and check up on you do not point a gun at them. Just be polite and laugh about your crazy family.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 2,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
It is still family so there are connections. He may want to know if someone is dying or getting married. I think he is hoping that they grow the eff up and start acting like adults.

I see no problem with them having his number. He just needs to make it clear he has to go when they start talking about the drama and trying to get him involved.

Sounds like he should change his #, make sure it is unlisted and then provide them with an internet and/or forwarding #. For example get a google voice # that you can set to go straight to voicemail.

I think what previous poster is implying is he keeps leaving the door open for the abuse. I do wonder why OP is picking up the phone when they call.

The otehr alternative would be to set a time to talk once //month.

Is there another family member who can act as an intermediary?

ALSO, very important, get a PO Box. Don't give your home address out to anyone. If you live one place long enough and receive a lot of mail there they may be able to track you down.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosBall View Post
I'm mid 30s guy. Two years ago, I moved far far away to a large city to escape family drama in my home town.

NOW I got a message out of the blue over the weekend that slightly concerns me. One parent said that if I don't call or e-mail, then they will report me missing to my local police department. One crazy parent may even fly out. I'm sure that parent will convince the police department I must truly be in trouble. My birth certificate will be ID proof of blood relation, and the police will unknowingly give out my address.

Should I e-mail the parent (cave into the threat)? Should I call my local police department to give them a heads up?
Don't do anything, let them report you....you're an adult and I seriously doubt the cops will get involved...at all.
Send them a note, if you must, (keep a copy) telling them to leave you alone.
DON'T e-mail, or phone....unless you desire a conversation with them, which it doesn't sound like you do.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I doubt they'll care.
Kibbiekat's right.....you're an adult, why would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting