U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,214,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Luckily,most preschool teachers I have known are very well versed on kids with new siblings and the changes nana mentioned. Many kids start preschool right before or after a sibling comes.
But parents may not be. Books that help prepare the preschooler for her new sibling can only help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 6,707,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
But parents may not be. Books that help prepare the preschooler for her new sibling can only help.
Totally agree. Was giving her a heads up in case it added more worry to her.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 669 times
Here is the tips before stating school:

1.Manage your approach
2.Keep to your usual routines
3.Be Guided by your child
4.Don't plan too much
5.Share your child's interests & strengths

Old 01-14-2019, 09:14 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,048,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think the number one thing you need to do is stop being nervous. She will pick up on that. All these other things she will pick up from her peers or teachers. Its amazing what they learn in a group from each other (which isn't as great later in elementary school sometimes LOL).

Trust the teachers that if she struggles with her food container, she won't starve. If she struggles with her jacket, she wont freeze. And if the potty looks scary, well she will see lots of kids manage it and she will realize she wont fall in.

Step back, deep breath. She will be fine
Exactly!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM

5,215 posts, read 5,022,223 times
The one best tip is for you to relax. She's 3.5, it's not school, it's daycare. Let her have fun without you being worried that she only napped for 20 min instead of 35. Or that she did not eat all her peaches that day. Or that the "teacher" (really a care taker) is not doting on her as much as you would like.

Honestly, this is playtime for her so stop turning into something that matters more than that. It won't determine her lot in life. If you don't relax, you'll have a friggin' stroke - but not before you give your kid an anxiety disorder and make all her teachers run when they see you.

Best of luck.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 PM

3,740 posts, read 1,337,123 times
Why is she going to "school" so young?

Is it for daycare so you can work or other?

Old 01-14-2019, 05:49 PM

24,743 posts, read 29,278,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why is she going to "school" so young?

Is it for daycare so you can work or other?
3.5 is the normal age for preschool, so no, not young. I don't see what the working status of the mom has to do with anything.

This thread is 4 years old, though.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:00 PM

3,740 posts, read 1,337,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
3.5 is the normal age for preschool, so no, not young. I don't see what the working status of the mom has to do with anything.

This thread is 4 years old, though.
When you say the "normal" age, I believe that is a social "norm," not the result of any studies that would indicate that preschool at that age is advantageous to a child's "development." (And by "development," I don't mean an artificial model of what a "productive" child "should" be doing.

In the last several years, there has been more and more pressure to get kids into "school" earlier and earlier and kindergarten is no longer the fun, creative experience it once was. I read somewhere that some schools even have homework in kindergarten.

I believe kids are pressured from a young age and it isn't good for many of them - some develop anxiety/depression/ADHD - other psychiatric disorders. Life isn't as fun and relaxing as it used to be and some parents treat their children like products to perfect (not saying that about this mom) - the competition of getting your kid into the right school for some people now has to include starting them in pre-school just after birth. A two-year-old is probably seen as lazy if they just stay home and play and hang out with mom or dad - lol.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:19 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,214,069 times
Quote:
When you say the "normal" age, I believe that is a social "norm," not the result of any studies that would indicate that preschool at that age is advantageous to a child's "development." (And by "development," I don't mean an artificial model of what a "productive" child "should" be doing.

In the last several years, there has been more and more pressure to get kids into "school" earlier and earlier and kindergarten is no longer the fun, creative experience it once was. I read somewhere that some schools even have homework in kindergarten.

I believe kids are pressured from a young age and it isn't good for many of them - some develop anxiety/depression/ADHD - other psychiatric disorders. Life isn't as fun and relaxing as it used to be and some parents treat their children like products to perfect (not saying that about this mom) - the competition of getting your kid into the right school for some people now has to include starting them in pre-school just after birth. A two-year-old is probably seen as lazy if they just stay home and play and hang out with mom or dad - lol.

She's 3.5 not 2. For most kids this age, preschool is fun. They get to play with the other kids and while they are at it, they learn how to cope with being away from mom. They are exposed to letters, numbers, writing and reading (story time is a very fun thing for most kids). They also learn how to share and how to contribute to circle time. They learn to explore the world if the preschool is any good. Believe it or not playing with the large unit blocks which most parents don't have the space for at home, builds and understanding of math concepts - comparing size and length and area happens if the preschool teachers are good teachers. It's NOT about doing worksheets. It's about learning through play. And parents often don't want to do messy activities like painting on an easel or playing with playdoh at home because the cleanup may be a problem. A good preschool is based in learning through play.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 PM

24,743 posts, read 29,278,138 times
Quote:

You acknowledge that this is the social norm, so why would you ask her why the child is going to school? We're not talking about an infant, or even a 2 year old. She's 3.5. Literally everyone I know put their kids in preschool by age 4.

And, yes, there have been studies about the advantages of going to preschool. You don't seem to agree with the measure, but that's on you. You're motive is clearly to guilt this parent for putting their pre-school age child in preschool, and *gasp* maybe even working. Just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or