Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,461 times

Advertisements

I know this is taking the thread off topic, but do any of you or should I say do you know anyone that keeps their child's Autism diagnosis a secret from certain people? Like say from other mom friends/aquaintances, just never told them?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I know this is taking the thread off topic, but do any of you or should I say do you know anyone that keeps their child's Autism diagnosis a secret from certain people? Like say from other mom friends/aquaintances, just never told them?
We know a few dozen kids in special ed, and I know the diagnosis of two. I can guess many of them, but it's not something people usually ask. I don't know anyone for whom it's a secret, though (plus how would I know if it's a secret).

Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,890,804 times
Quote:
On the message boards there are certainly many who tell only on a *need to know* basis. Some keep it a secret from certain family members who they think would not be supportive as well. Lots of parents don't have a clue how a child who is high functioning presents and won't unless they are around the child for long periods of time.

Unless a parent knows the child is in a special ed classroom or that he has an aide, they can't tell.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
We (my dad mostly) always sit with my Nana in the back, because usually we have to take her out. She has very bad dementia and often forgets where she is.
I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be taking her to church. Point. Blank. Period!

I can say this, as a previous 24/7 Caregiver of my elderly severe dementia Mother.

My Mother was in her early 70's. HER Mother died in her late 90's! I was POA of BOTH!

I took my 70 something Mother to HER MOM's VISITATION and realized... My Mother is completely CLUELESS that is HER MOM'S FUNERAL???????????

To this day, I don't know what my Mother thought??? People are telling her... "so sorry for your loss" and my Mother is just sitting there, with a smile on her face, and totally CLUELESS??????????

Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
Why do you have to say anything. Lots of people with all kinds of problems in this world.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,890,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why do you have to say anything. Lots of people with all kinds of problems in this world.
You don't have to say anything, but lots of other parents do say something, so it would be nice if they had some real ideas of what to say.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:02 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,876,728 times
Quote:
I don't, but then again it's obvious to anyone who comes in contact with my son that he has some kind of disorder or disability. I wouldn't make up something else or say something like, "Oh well, he's just a little quirky." That seems very odd to me, plus dishonest and kinda disrespectful.

Quote:
this kid bolted out the door and headed for the busy street. His mother sort of called his name weakly, and I was terrified that I was going to see a little boy turned into a pancake in a moment so I yelled his name VERY LOUDLY and he stopped in his tracks and turned to look at me. At that point his mother ran by me to fetch him and said, "He is autistic".
You're all very lucky he did turn around to your loud voice. Your retelling of this tale put a huge lump in my throat as it brought to mind an incident almost exactly the same with my son when he was about five. He took off running down the sidewalk after yanking away from me as we were going inside from the car. I wasn't in the greatest sure-I-can-run-a-marathon-anytime shape and had to drop the groceries before I followed him.

I was screaming his name, screaming stop, but he just kept going flat out toward the street. Stopped him (thank god) with a football style tackle about 2 feet from the road. Ruined my knee when I landed, and he proceeded to have a meltdown of epic proportions. Was almost impossible to hold him to carry him back to the house. Who knows what the neighbors thought if they were peeking out the window.

I went off on a tangent a bit there. Sometimes - like perhaps with the boy stomping around in the church - it's better to let the kid move around or vocalize unrestrained instead of risk a meltdown.

The Meltdown -- This could help people understand a meltdown situation. It's not a matter of bad behavior or a kid being a brat and having a tantrum.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Oh Jesus, the meltdown. We haven't had one in public in a while.

Murk, I read that link and agree wholeheartedly with it.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-30-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,495,114 times
This is an old thread that has been reborn and has turned unproductive as far as informative posts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.