Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:24 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,089,679 times

Advertisements

Age, illness, doesn't matter. I don't care if you are 2 or 20, if you can't sit quietly in a movie theater, you don't belong there. I've seen 2 year olds sit through Disney movies without making a peep, I've seen 50 year old men be totally obnoxious in a movie theater too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,541,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
At a Disney movie? I am sure there were plenty of kids being noisy. It's just that this child's noises were not the *normal* noises.

Of course, she might have wanted to find a theater that did sensory friendly movies where there would be more special needs kids and they would be accepted. Still, it doesn't sound like the man who yelled at him was justified.
Doesn't matter what kind of noise or what the condition f the person is. He should not have been there if the Parents already knew all this up front. The child probably did not care whee he was to see this movie, if he was even watching, so its the Parents fault for having the idea that their perceived rights trump the rights of all others because of the boys handicap. You get no special treatment other than courtesy. You don't get to be In your face" to anyone if your the problem, and then try to invoke sympathy for herself when it was she who caused the whole ordeal.

True, the man should have complained to the Theatre Management, but the Parents should have been smart enough not to let it get to that point. I probably would have said something myself if I was trying to watch a Movie I paid a ticket price for. No one wants two shows going on at the same time, regardless of who is involved or their condition. Sorry...

Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I dunno, I can't say I blame the man. If your child is going to be more disruptive than other children...and you know that in advance...maybe you shouldn't bring that child to the movies.

A good friend of mine has an autistic son; she would never take him to the movies or a fancy restaurant because she knows what the end result would be.

What are your thoughts?

To The Man Who Yelled At The Movie Theater About My Child*|*Nicole Skaro
Media loves whiners
People treated that lady and her kid like any other mother and kid.... she's mad.

I guarantee if people treated them different because her kid was a cancer survivor ... she'd be mad.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:12 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,649,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I wouldn't bring ANY 20 month old to a movie theater. I didn't bring mine until they were 4 years old. And even then, they knew what kind of behavior was expected of them.
Vito wasn't 20 months unless someone in that family is adopted. He was 20 months when she wrote the article. She didn't say the age when he was at the movie, but she mentioned her 2-year old was bouncing off the seats. 24 - 9 = 15 months = Vito's maximum possible age.

Also, Disney makes more than Donald Duck these days; Star Wars and Tomorrowland. This could have been a screening of Maleficent. I wouldn't take my noisemakers to any theater at any age before they can remember/comprehend/care About what they see. I wish others would do the same, but it takes all types, I guess.

So, Kudos to the mom for not penning some passive-aggressive open letter without at least trying to confront the person. She's got guts, but maybe a bit too much of them. Negative points for a child too young, not being considerate of others, and calling someone a coward for not getting into an altercation with the could-be-crazy martyr lady. I'm on the dude's side on this one.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,858,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sure he was... perfectly justified to expect to be able to watch a movie without obtrusive behavior.

The mom should have got a sitter for the toddler and taken the 9 year old. That would have been polite. That is what considerate parents do.
Exactly. So typical of the Huff Post trash rag to turn the lack of common courtesy of the mother's part into her personal victimization story

Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,632,337 times
People do not have the right to live live's free from disruption. Living in society is messy, annoying, complicated and a whole list of positives adjectives as well. But this notion that we have some sort of right to not be bothered is ridiculous. If the person was so bothered by a child's laughing at a children's movie that they felt the need to lash out publicly they should have gotten up, gone to management and exchanged their tickets for a different time.

I went to go see pitch perfect 2 last weekend. Decidedly not a children's movie, and yet there were twenty plus 10-12 yos in the movie singing along loudly to some of the songs. It was vaguely annoying, but so what? They were kids, a necessary part of any society, that we're having fun! Even if that fun was louder than I would have liked. If it really bothered me I could have switched to another showing because there is going to be another one again soon.

So yes, people should be considerate of others, but those others should be considerate as well. Not yelling at a laughing toddler at a children's movie is just plain considerate.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 PM

4,962 posts, read 5,211,860 times
Just looked up Tomorrowland. It's not one of the cartoony movies like Cinderella. I don't think the movie is appropriate for a child that young. He doesn't have have the ability to follow that type of movie even though it was Disney. Mom is wrong.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,858,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
People do not have the right to live live's free from disruption. Living in society is messy, annoying, complicated and a whole list of positives adjectives as well. But this notion that we have some sort of right to not be bothered is ridiculous. If the person was so bothered by a child's laughing at a children's movie that they felt the need to lash out publicly they should have gotten up, gone to management and exchanged their tickets for a different time.

I went to go see pitch perfect 2 last weekend. Decidedly not a children's movie, and yet there were twenty plus 10-12 yos in the movie singing along loudly to some of the songs. It was vaguely annoying, but so what? They were kids, a necessary part of any society, that we're having fun! Even if that fun was louder than I would have liked. If it really bothered me I could have switched to another showing because there is going to be another one again soon.

So yes, people should be considerate of others, but those others should be considerate as well. Not yelling at a laughing toddler at a children's movie is just plain considerate.
Negative. People pay money, and good money, to watch and listen to movies in a theater. Thus, everyone attending has a duty to be quiet and not obnoxious while in the theater so others, who have also paid for their tickets, can enjoy it. It is not the theatergoers' responsibility to put up with other people's loud children. Movies are not carvivals or circuses. It is an entirely different kind of event in which it is not OK to be loud. Context is everything.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,632,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Negative. People pay money, and good money, to watch and listen to movies in a theater. Thus, everyone attending has a duty to be quiet and not obnoxious while in the theater so others, who have also paid for their tickets, can enjoy it. It is not the theatergoers' responsibility to put up with other people's loud children. Movies are not carvivals or circuses. It is an entirely different kind of event in which it is not OK to be loud. Context is everything.
Yes, and this was a toddler in a children's movie who had also paid to be there.

Context is everything, so if your going to a children's movie expect to hear children. Laughing, maybe even crying, but yelling at the parent is not the appropriate recourse regardless of the context.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:59 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,677,003 times
Facts:

1: The mother had a disruptive child, that was disturbing other movie goers. It does not matter that the child was a special needs child, or an absolutely a typical child. That has nothing to do with it. It was a child destroying the pleasure of people that had paid good money to see the movie. The mother had an obligation to remove the child from the audience when it was disrupting other peoples pleasure of enjoying the movie.

2: The mother was upset that the other movie patrons asked her to remove the disruption that was ruining the movie for them.

The mother was clearly in the wrong, as she did not take her child from the theater and not disrupt other theater goers pleasure in seeing a movie when the trouble started. That is what people living in a civilized country do. She should not have waited until someone asked her to stop the child from disrupting their evening out. There is no way, that she would not have known in advance that the child would probably have been disruptive, and still took the child to the movie. I do understand special needs children, as I raised one myself. As the father of 5 children, we would never have taken that small of a child to the theater as any small child can be disruptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting