U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,990 times

Advertisements

My son and I sometimes use the same pc. I was typing "how do i know" into google & it suggested the recent search done by him: "how do i know if there is a keylogger on my pc".

He is 15 and has been a good kid but this made me nervous.

And BTW, no, I haven't put a keylogger on his PC.

Do you think my wife and I should be worried? What to do? (I haven't told her yet since she is a huge worrier!)

Thanks,

Laz
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 9,227,803 times
Google suggests things even if you haven't typed them in. Start typing anything into google and it will make suggestions. It usually doesn't mean anyone has typed it in, it means it's a top search. Maybe your wife is worried about a keylogger? (Just kidding).

Seriously, I just typed "How do I know" and it came up with "How do I know if a guy likes me" and "How do I know if I have a yeast infection." I haven't googled either of those things. It's just random predictions, not indicative of what people have searched for.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,030,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz1 View Post
My son and I sometimes use the same pc. I was typing "how do i know" into google & it suggested the recent search done by him: "how do i know if there is a keylogger on my pc".

He is 15 and has been a good kid but this made me nervous.

And BTW, no, I haven't put a keylogger on his PC.

Do you think my wife and I should be worried? What to do? (I haven't told her yet since she is a huge worrier!)

Thanks,

Laz
Talk to him about it?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Google suggests things even if you haven't typed them in.
This!

And if you want to know... talk to your son! That would have been my first choice, not posting on the internet.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:33 AM

2,724 posts, read 2,865,118 times
Your wife is a huge worrier and your son may have searched about a keylogger on the computer. Here you are worrying about what that could mean when it could just be nothing. I think it just runs in your family

Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 AM

9,003 posts, read 16,128,157 times
Ever think about it the other way.. Maybe he's Keylogging you?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:46 PM

19,005 posts, read 10,047,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Google suggests things even if you haven't typed them in. Start typing anything into google and it will make suggestions. It usually doesn't mean anyone has typed it in, it means it's a top search. Maybe your wife is worried about a keylogger? (Just kidding).

Seriously, I just typed "How do I know" and it came up with "How do I know if a guy likes me" and "How do I know if I have a yeast infection." I haven't googled either of those things. It's just random predictions, not indicative of what people have searched for.
ha, I got the same suggestions when I just tried the same thing.

I got to "How do I know if there is a k" when it filled in keylogger, and I definitely haven't searched for that.

So yeah, it could be autofill, it could be worries that an overprotective parent *might* do something like that, it could be genuine curiosity based on hearing about the idea.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
No, I'm almost positive he searched for it, because this was in Chrome and Google puts up a little option to 'remove' recent search phrases if you're logged in, as he was.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,616,814 times
Quote:
No, I'm almost positive he searched for it, because this was in Chrome and Google puts up a little option to 'remove' recent search phrases if you're logged in, as he was.
It doesn't always work. I wouldn't be worried, he is likely worried you are snooping on him is all.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
No, I'm almost positive he searched for it
Great gravy... you are really wanting to worry about this!
So TALK TO HIM already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting