Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:41 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a mostly Hispanic community and when it came time for mandatory showers for gym class in middle school, I discovered that I was one of the few that were cut. I used to think that it was because I was Anglo and they were Hispanics. LOL I didn't really know that it had been done to me at birth. I was glad that I had a daughter and not a son so I didn't have to wrestle with that decision.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
It is very common in the AP/"crunchy" type crowd to leave their sons intact. I would say that less than half of the folks in my social/peer group have circumcized their sons (my peer group has elementary-aged kids, not teens though). I only have girls, but I would not have circ'ed a boy either. I don't think I would go so far as to say that the majority of kids in my area are intact, but it certainly is not rare or uncommon.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:57 AM

176 posts, read 189,545 times
Good for you for not circumcising your son and putting him through that unnecessary trauma. Circumcision is very uncommon in Europe and in general it is viewed as an act of cruelty and abuse. Millions and millions of men from Europe have lived for thousands of years normal, just how mother nature made them, without any biblical interventions on their genitals or supporting some selfish industry, and they have been healthy and fertile.

You did the good thing. Just because sometimes you're different, it doesn't mean you're in the wrong.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
I'm a believer that either is fine - as a parent it's up to you to decide.

You son will certainly not be alone AND he was Divinely made that way for a reason - it's only a human thing to change God's design.

The doctor was WAY out of line and should be reported - think about a male doctor commenting on a 14 year old girls breasts - he'd be out the door in a flash!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaPinecone View Post
When my son was born (he's 13 now), I decided to not get him circumcised. I didn't want him to go through any pain and according to all the statistics I read, for boys born in the late 90's/early 00's, the circumcision rate was only around 50%, so I assumed it would be seen as normal for american boys to have foreskins. But, I'm learning more and more that that's not the case. My first realization of this occurred when my son had to get a physical to enroll in elementary school. When it was time for the genital portion of the exam, the pediatrician was not only visibly surprised he was uncircumcised, but she did not seem to understand that it's perfectly normal for a 6 year old boy's foreskin to not be able to be pulled back yet and recommend I have him circumcised. I noticed that next to the "Genitals" box on the form, she checked the "Abnormal finding" box and wrote "uncircumcised" in the margin (Not even "tight foreskin", just "uncircumcised"). I just assumed she acted like this because when she was growing up it was way rarer than it is now and it was seen as gross and weird, and it never crossed my mind that teens still might believe that now a days. However, today (this is what's prompting this post), my daughter (16) was looking through an old family photo album and came across a picture of DS when he was a toddler taking a bath and saw he was uncircumcised. She let out a large "ewwwwww" and started questioning me about why I didn't have him circumcised and if I know how gross and unclean it is and if I know he'll never get a girlfriend. All the stuff I've seen online seems to suggest being uncircumcised is common in America now and the stigma is gone, but after what my daughter said and remembering how the pediatrician acted, I'm not so sure. Does anybody know if at least among teens, hate of uncircumcised boys is common (especially in the Northern Virginia area, which is where I live)? I'm worried about DS.
Yeah, no, unbelievable story.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
No, it's a health concern, and so the doctor was obligated to note it. Neonatal circumcision rates in the US are about 60%, but overall rates are 70+%, and it's more like 90% among non-hispanic white males.
How is it a health concern? Assuming the boy is taught how to care for his penis, there is very little health benefit to circumcision.

History of Circumcision

Quote:
In the United States circumcision emerged at the same time as in Britain and for much the same reasons: hostility to masturbation, delusions about congenital phimosis, fear of diseases like syphilis and cancer. But it got its biggest boosts from the two world wars and from the medicalisation of childbirth. The importance of both the obstetricians/gynecologists and the the military in the promotion of circumcision in the USA cannot be overestimated.
History of Circumcision

Quote:
As the American Academy of Pediatrics notes in its position statement, there are potential medical benefits, but they are minimal and do not outweigh the risks.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM

493 posts, read 511,964 times
I didn't want to circumcise my son because so many articles said it was unnecessary. I had huge fight with husband and both or our families on it. I ended up circumcising him. All the men I dated were circumcised and to be honest I had never seen one that wasn't. My sister-in law showed me a picture after I am a little happy I did (didn't like how it looked) but I wouldn't tell her that. I don't know the culture you are from but I know most women I know don't like it but we also don't see it often.I think its more of the idea of performing oral(since it is seen as unclean). I assume since less people are doing it that it will be more acceptable.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:03 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Why does this discussion always seem to boil down to whether or not young sir will be on the receivng end of oral sex? There is absolutely nothing off-putting about a clean, uncut penis on the man a woman loves.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
I don't know about nowadays, with the sexual obsession, but 60 years ago I showered with classmates who were circumcised and uncircumcised. Nobody paid any attention. Where do you live that kids obsess on their genitals? Give it a rest.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:26 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why does this discussion always seem to boil down to whether or not young sir will be on the receivng end of oral sex?
I try to steer all conversations in that direction when possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting